recruiting problems

one of the problems nu had today, is that that program is not the go to place anymore...i was looking at the rivals top 40 football recruits, not one had picked nu....also, there are 16 undecideds, and not one has nu as a school of interest. i am wondering if nu can ever be on the same level again as in the 90,s...was tom osborn the recruiting genenius that will never be replaced?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, ronsss said:

one of the problems nu had today, is that that program is not the go to place anymore...i was looking at the rivals top 40 football recruits, not one had picked nu....also, there are 16 undecideds, and not one has nu as a school of interest. i am wondering if nu can ever be on the same level again as in the 90,s...was tom osborn the recruiting genenius that will never be replaced?

I thought I read somewhere that Tom never had better than the 6th best recruiting class during the 90's run.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If we could just do that and just score more points than the other teams.  We’d be pretty dang good!

And maybe defense better, so the other team scores fewer points? I think that would be good too! 

Why didn't we think of these solutions before?!?!? Get Frost on the phone!!!

We ran an offense in the 90s where you only had to recruit like 3 main guys on the whole offense. Everyone else we could get within 250 miles. And to top that off sometimes you got lucky with a great RB from Nebraska like Green. 

With all the recruiting services it makes it so easy for the top teams to stay on top. Back then there was a lot more film watching, coach calls, travel etc. 

• Plus1 1

58 minutes ago, Big Red Viking said:

Captain obvious here "Develop the talent you have !"

Captain obvious # 2:  Win and they will come.    Recruits want to be apart of a winning program.  While that seems like a dog chasing its tail thing - it really isn't.  Win the games your a suppose to win.  Teach the fundamentals (penalties, fumbles, mental mistakes = Bad. Attitude, Executing, positive belief = Good) and wins will come. Hopefully, with Frost's emphasis on fundamentals this spring, we will see more wins and then higher quality recruits come our way.

I don't know if it's talent issue at this point in time.  There has been a huge gap between us and #10 down in the country.  Our main issue from where I sit is we have a team, an entire team that doesn't know how to win at the FBS level.  

That's a super big deal.  We have the Jimmy's and Joe's to compete with some upper crusters, but we piss in our chilli-bowl every time.  You have to believe that we're on the cusp of breaking through that barrier.  

I don't think we'll ever get the "top" kids, but we've put together some impressive classes together under frost... talent-wise.  They just need to start making winning plays at winning time.  

I think is more of a culture thing/attitude thing than a talent thing right now.  It's getting better though.

• Plus1 1