recruiting problems

I also do see things getting better. The process of trying to learn how to win is not easy as we all know.  I think recruiting is definitely improving and for sure along the lines. Consistency and developing the talent we have is the most important thing.  We just need breaks to start going our way and I think things will takeoff.

This whole learn a culture of winning thing is mostly a load of BS in my opinion.  That's an end result, a product of the input.  We will never instill a "winning culture" or "learn how to win" if we don't nail the basics.

You know what leads to winning football and how I feel we grade out in the ()?

• A center who doesnt have bad snaps 20% of the freaking time some games (lacking)
  • An o line that can either protect the pocket or move the line for the run game (or better yet shades of both) (lacking)
  • An offensive play caller that has a sound game plan for the first quarter of football, not just the first drive (lacking)
  • A QB who can make fundamental throws the offense demands consistently, early, and often (all of this has been lacking)
  • An offense that can score 7, not 3, in the redzone (non-existent)
  • An identity is too generic, how about an offense with a decided edge in a facet or two of the game that the opposing D coord absolutely has to limit otherwise it'll be a long game (non-existent today, somewhat had it in 2018 with oz stanly and JD but really been non existent since ameer left)
  • A defense who not only limits points, but causes turnovers (non-existent for close to 10 years)
  • A defense that can pressure the qb rushing 4 most of the time, maybe 5 and not require exotic blitz packages that leaves a secondary exposed in key downs (non-existent for close to 7-8 years now)
  • A defense that has "a guy" that an opposing o coord and o line need to either double team (if a d lineman) or completely ignore and play on one side of the field (legit LB/CB/S)
  • Special teams that can execute the plays that are gimmes; ie makable FGs, when punting change the field positioning in a meaningful way, and kickoff coverage that isnt an utter disaster (non-existent for 5-6 years now)

Winning requires solid recruits, solid recruits=more winning, tough to get more without building the foundation first.  There are diamonds in the rough out there that can catapult a team to NC consideration if everything aligns (Suh for instance, was a pretty good example of having the best guy in football when many overlooked him out of HS, didnt have the offense tho)....  

We will most likely never be a clemson or bama like we were in the 90s unless Frosty really goes on a run and brings in some higher caliber assistants.  But we can def make a run and be top 10 and on the fringe if we can establish most, if not all, of the above and then luck out with some diamonds in the rough here and there.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 3

Nebraska has an on and off history of developing walkons, along with good recruiting.  I've also noticed that the great seasons often came along with somewhat unexpected high performance by certain players who were behind the great recruits on the team.  It is very much about precision coaching from the Head Guy all through the staff.  The culture. 

Is that culture there now? 

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The truth is, there's nothing in Lincoln that makes an elite recruit want to come here. Lousy weather, plain and vanilla, not winning.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Wrong.

Let's be real here, Lincoln is a fun town that has a a lot going for it, but the weather isn't great and it's in the middle of nowhere.  Comparable to some of our rivals but there are a lot of places better. The key to overcoming the remoteness and other short comings in the past was the winning which we know has been hard lately.  Frost and staff have done an excellent job recruiting despite being generally awful for a long time now, but the rubber is meeting the road.

So, like always, the truth is in the middle of both of your arguments.

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Let's be real here, Lincoln is a fun town that has a a lot going for it, but the weather isn't great and it's in the middle of nowhere.  Comparable to some of our rivals but there are a lot of places better. The key to overcoming the remoteness and other short comings in the past was the winning which we know has been hard lately.  Frost and staff have done an excellent job recruiting despite being generally awful for a long time now, but the rubber is meeting the road.

So, like always, the truth is in the middle of both of your arguments.

What? I made no argument about the greatness of Lincoln. I said basically what you're saying. 

There's a lot of inferring based off one word going on here. Maybe let's not do that.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What? I made no argument about the greatness of Lincoln. I said basically what you're saying. 

There's a lot of inferring based off one word going on here. Maybe let's not do that.

Ha, well it's not exactly clear what you mean with a one word drive by. He said Lincoln sucks basically, you said wrong. I don't think I dove too deep inferring on that one.

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Ha, well it's not exactly clear what you mean with a one word drive by. He said Lincoln sucks basically, you said wrong. I don't think I dove too deep inferring on that one.

"Lincoln doesn't suck" is a pretty obvious takeaway from saying his post is wrong. 

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"Lincoln doesn't suck" is a pretty obvious takeaway from saying his post is wrong. 

Yep. And doesn't suck can mean a range of things.  You have a one word response and are upset I took it a different way than you intended.  Maybe use more than one word next time? :cheers

• Fire 1
9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Yep. And doesn't suck can mean a range of things.  You have a one word response and are upset I took it a different way than you intended.  Maybe use more than one word next time? :cheers

OR - and hear me out on this one, because it's a novel concept - don't jump to conclusions based on one word.  :thumbs

Columbus, OH is nothing special.  I guess if you really want to spread your wings you could go to the mistake by the lake Cleveland.  You think top recruits go to Ohio St. because Columbus is so cool?  Lincoln has nothing to do with why top recruits aren't choosing Nebraska.  These kids spend 90% of their time on campus in the sports complex.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3