recruiting problems

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I more meant that they in fact have a ton of talent in Ohio and even they don't depend solely on in-state talent.  I more wanted to point out that some of the kids they have on their team leave places like, Hawaii, Florida, California and Texas for Columbus, OH.  not that great of a place and also has s#!tty weather like Nebraska for those who claim kids don't come to Lincoln because of snow.   The bolded was more my point.  If Lincoln was a big city and had a beach top kids still might not pick Nebraska if they aren't winning.  Look at Miami.  I'm sure they have nice facilities, they are near the beach, tons of talent in Florida.  All the top talent isn't flocking there anymore because they are no longer the "U" of old.  

Lol, just stop man, they just posted the 11th ranked recruiting class last year- comprised of a couple 5 star guys and more 4 star guys than we have, and had the 16th ranked class the year before.  Not to mention, they got a pretty high profile transfer at qb that woulda been our starting qb easily of adrian.  Just because their coaching staff cant put it together doesnt mean theyre not getting their fair share of talent.

Theyre getting way more than we are because its literally way more accessible right in their backyard.

Any more statements u wanna throw out there that are easily disproven by facts and a quick google search?

23 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Lol, just stop man, they just posted the 11th ranked recruiting class last year- comprised of a couple 5 star guys and more 4 star guys than we have, and had the 16th ranked class the year before.  Not to mention, they got a pretty high profile transfer at qb that woulda been our starting qb easily of adrian.  Just because their coaching staff cant put it together doesnt mean theyre not getting their fair share of talent.

Theyre getting way more than we are because its literally way more accessible right in their backyard.

Any more statements u wanna throw out there that are easily disproven by facts and a quick google search?

So they are talent rich, near the beach and didnt break the top 10 in recruiting the last two years.  Got it.  Wonder what would happen if they went to the playoffs.  

• Plus1 1
On 5/28/2021 at 3:57 PM, teachercd said:

I am guessing if I lived in in South Carolina I would never go to Clemson unless it was for a game.  Probably the same if I lived in Bama and Mississippi.

Accurate. It’s as college town as they come. 3,500-ish when schools out...30k when it’s in.

Love the place, but it’s nothing without the school. I hear that pays dividends in recruiting, though, because they can sell parents on the lack of trouble around.

• Plus1 1

It all boils down to winning. The things like cold weather don’t matter when you win. If we were winning like Bama we would be recruiting like Bama. Ohio State wins and recruits top 5 and last time I checked it’s cold there too. Maybe it’s hard to build a winner from the bottom in a cold climate once you win they will come.

• Plus1 2

I never cared about the "city" where the college I went to was. Almost all my activities outside of school and work were for the most part college related. It didnt matter to me that the city had x or y place. It was the college community- it was 1000 miles away or so and for me the city didnt matter. 

Does the school have a good reputation- will my degree be worth something?  Is the college community engaged and dynamic/ non commuter school? Is it reasonably safe? For me- weather was important- I was sick of the cold. 

On 5/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

So they are talent rich, near the beach and didnt break the top 10 in recruiting the last two years.  Got it.  Wonder what would happen if they went to the playoffs.  

Lol.. bro they were 11th. Let’s not act like they’re 30th and so far from the top 10.

you make no sense- first you make bogus claims about Ohio state and then bogus claims about Miami. You just need to realize that we are at a significant disadvantage recruiting wise simply because the lack of population around us.

it has zero to do with Lincoln and those schools have zero to do with the town/city itself. It’s all a numbers game and those schools have a significantly greater population within 500 miles of campus than we do.

• Thanks 1
On 5/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

And of course winning helps too. I think this is all going completely over your head tho so I’ll break down a simple comparison -

Miami has hovered from top 10-top15 recruiting.

we have hovered around high teens to high 20s in recruiting.

both teams make the playoffs- who u think is gonna vault into top 5 recruiting first?

Chances are high Miami would vault into Bama status way sooner as they’re closer and already getting superior talent to us for reasons I’ve already explained.

does that make sense or u wanna keep spewing utter BS? 

7 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

It’s all a numbers game and those schools have a significantly greater population within 500 miles of campus than we do.

I read that 48% of the US population lives 500 miles from Columbus, that's the most in any 500 mile radius for any large city (750k +) in the entire country.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

I read that 48% of the US population lives 500 miles from Columbus, that's the most in any 500 mile radius for any large city (750k +) in the entire country.

Damn, that’s a staggering stat. I wonder where we rank on that compared to every single P5 team: I bet we are near the bottom of the list next to a few big 12, big 10 and prolly pac 12 north teams like wazzu and wash

4 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Damn, that’s a staggering stat. I wonder where we rank on that compared to every single P5 team: I bet we are near the bottom of the list next to a few big 12, big 10 and prolly pac 12 north teams like wazzu and wash

Well if you're bored you could map it all out with this:

https://www.statsamerica.org/radius/big.aspx

Plugging in Lincoln, Miami and Columbus for 500 mile radius population:

Lincoln: 51,899,001

Miami: 24,816,104 (most of their radius is water)

Columbus: 138,546,129

For fun I also ran Pullman, Washington: 16,207,960

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Lol.. bro they were 11th. Let’s not act like they’re 30th and so far from the top 10.

you make no sense- first you make bogus claims about Ohio state and then bogus claims about Miami. You just need to realize that we are at a significant disadvantage recruiting wise simply because the lack of population around us.

it has zero to do with Lincoln and those schools have zero to do with the town/city itself. It’s all a numbers game and those schools have a significantly greater population within 500 miles of campus than we do.

Dude the original comment was kids don't want to come to Lincoln because its not "cool" and has crap weather.  My argument is it doesn't matter if you have a winning program.  Your dumbass wants to keep going on about 500 mile radius.  There are pleanty of teams that recruit their 500 mile radius and still don't win and still has nothing to do with the city in which the school resides.  I don't know how to make it any more clear.  KIDS don't care as much as you think about where the schools are located!!

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Dude the original comment was kids don't want to come to Lincoln because its not "cool" and has crap weather.  My argument is it doesn't matter if you have a winning program.  Your dumbass wants to keep going on about 500 mile radius.  There are pleanty of teams that recruit their 500 mile radius and still don't win and still has nothing to do with the city in which the school resides.  I don't know how to make it any more clear.  KIDS don't care as much as you think about where the schools are located!!

Lol, actually u made it sound like Ohio state is all players made up across the country and no kids from Ohio.. then u casually bring up Miami and how no one wants to go there to play when they just posted the 11th ranked class lolol

This board used to bring factual takes to the forum and now it’s just chalk full of minimally baked takes such as yours that make little to no sense and then shift the goal posts when you’re called out on your BS. 

the minimally baked takes is compounded by your responses such as “Miami couldn’t even break top 10 recruiting... when they were 11th” lolol 

UCLA has every recruiting advantage in the world, and a big budget to lure top coaches. But they've underperformed for....well most of the school's history.

I don't know why.

Florida, Florida State and Texas have all the recruiting advantages, but they've gone through their share of lean years and coaches before climbing back. Florida State still  isn't doing any better than Nebraska. 

Salt Lake City isn't anyone's idea of great weather, party atmosphere, or cool, but Utah has had a great run of recruiting NFL caliber talent in recent years. Boise State, too. A hotshot high school quarterback might be very tempted to go to Fargo at this point. North Dakota State has earned respect.

My strategy would be for Nebraska to go back to its reputation for targeting offensive linemen. Give them all the love and props typically given to the skill positions. Pretty soon all the skill positions will want to play for the team with the great offensive line because it makes them look so much better and get so less injured. 

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

UCLA has every recruiting advantage in the world, and a big budget to lure top coaches. But they've underperformed for....well most of the school's history.

I don't know why.

Florida, Florida State and Texas have all the recruiting advantages, but they've gone through their share of lean years and coaches before climbing back. Florida State still  isn't doing any better than Nebraska. 

Salt Lake City isn't anyone's idea of great weather, party atmosphere, or cool, but Utah has had a great run of recruiting NFL caliber talent in recent years. Boise State, too. A hotshot high school quarterback might be very tempted to go to Fargo at this point. North Dakota State has earned respect.

My strategy would be for Nebraska to go back to its reputation for targeting offensive linemen. Give them all the love and props typically given to the skill positions. Pretty soon all the skill positions will want to play for the team with the great offensive line because it makes them look so much better and get so less injured. 

Particularly running backs!!!!

27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't disagree, but I'm not sure it's that easy. In the first place there's a lot of ground to make up for OL - there are a couple schools in our division that have great OL track records, so it's going to be tougher to build that reputation back up. And even with Wisconsin/Iowa having a lot of OL success, they really struggle to consistently attract skill position talent. 

Either way we need the OL emphasized though, and our offensive scheme should be a huge difference when it comes to skill guys. Once the OLs aren't in drastically different places, do you want to go somewhere that tries to get the ball to playmakers, or somewhere that just wants to grind teams down and take a few shots? I think it can work, we've just got a lot of ground to make up for an OL to want to come here over other Big Ten schools. Benhart and Corcoran were a great start though.