Twitter May Start Labeling Your Tweets Based on How Wrong You Are

Twitter is one of many social media companies that’s struggled to keep misinformation from running rampant on its platform over the years. Its latest attempt to move the needle looks to be a tiered warning label system that changes based on how wrong you are, according to app researcher Jane Manchun Wong.

So far, there are three levels of misinformation warning labels: “Get the latest,” “Stay Informed,” and “Misleading,” Wong tweeted on Monday. How accurate a tweet is determines if Twitter’s systems tack on one of these three labels, each of which includes a prompt directing users to additional information. Ostensibly, these would link to a Twitter-curated page or external vetted source, as is the case for Twitter’s covid-19 and U.S. presidential election misinformation labels.

Gizmodo

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a terrible, awful idea...

Social media needs to accept the fact that they ushered us into a post-truth era and their products aren't useful without it.

Facebook already puts 'learn more about covid' type of banners on the bottoms of posts/pictures of mine that have NOTHING to do with covid. Automating and regulating themselves into irrelevancy. 

7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Social media needs to accept the fact that they ushered us into a post-truth era and their products aren't useful without it.

Facebook already puts 'learn more about covid' type of banners on the bottoms of posts/pictures of mine that have NOTHING to do with covid. Automating and regulating themselves into irrelevancy. 

This is like blaming the street for traffic accidents. Social media is a benign construct. The idiot humans who misuse it are the problem. 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is like blaming the street for traffic accidents. Social media is a benign construct. The idiot humans who misuse it are the problem. 

That would be the case if their wasn't algorithms working in the background amplifying certain voices over others. It isn't just the end users that are the problem. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, jaws said:

That would be the case if their wasn't algorithms working in the background amplifying certain voices over others. It isn't just the end users that are the problem. 

That's a good point. So it's not just the platforms, and it's not just the users. 

In the end, people need to use their critical thinking skills and check with multiple sources before basing a stance off something. 

31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's a good point. So it's not just the platforms, and it's not just the users. 

In the end, people need to use their critical thinking skills and check with multiple sources before basing a stance off something. 

I don't always agree with Mark Cuban but he had some interesting takes on Facebook in this podcast.

https://www.theverge.com/21557432/mark-cuban-interview-nilay-patel-decoder-podcast

7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Question for those of us not hip to the lingo: what does "post-truth era" mean?

30 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

He's saying the political environment where no one cares about facts, and everyone just wants to be told what they want to hear. Which I think we can all admit, occurs a lot, no matter political affiliation (and in other realms, like sports). He's saying social media exists for it's echo chambers, no one goes to seek truth, but to validate their opinions.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, knapplc said:

If social media is the street, then they are definitely designing the street for accidents to happen, for people to stay on the street watching other accidents and causing accidents themselves, and then want to be the hero saying, "We have to stop all these accidents!"

But yeah, humans are responsible too - it's just a losing battle for most individuals to win out over teams of billionaire geniuses who learned how to hijack and manipulate their brains.

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Objective facts used to be at least as powerful if not the most powerful factor important at influencing public opinion.

That era in human history is over. Objective fact is now far, far behind emotion, feelings, "my truth", tribe protection, etc. in power to persuade. I know this isn't the politics forum so I won't spend any time on it but you even have Presidents and parts of their teams using a legal defense of, "Obviously my lies don't count as lies because they are so ridiculous no reasonable person would believe them", even though that's why they say them in the first place. 

• Plus1 1