QB Daniel Kaelin

HuskerBoard Predictor  

28 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Kaelin commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have seen that some think Kaelin is a reach, but if he is able to help deliver the stud WR's out of Bellevue West, then it's worth taking a chance on him.

Personally, I'd prefer not to spend a scholarship on a reach like this. However, you are correct in that if he can bring his teammates who would likely rally more of the Omaha prospects, it could be worth the risk. I'm hopeful but really would like to see some growth from him as a player this year to justify the take here.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Seems like this has been in the works for a bit with there being a video like that.

Funny how all there was no smoke at all on this until yesterday. Even the guys who cover NU recruiting were caught flat footed.

Sam McKewon speculated that NU has been working on him for a few weeks once they realized Raiola was out of the picture (which was probably in mid-April).  It does seem like a quick flip, but NU probably went to plan B once Raiola made it obvious he was going to UGa.

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Kaelin and Flores are both very similarly ranked, both 88.xx on the On3 consensus rankings.

Curious on people’s thoughts comparing the 2.  I have never seen Kaelin play, only saw Flores in the state title game last year.

Flores is a better athlete and was more likely to do whatever it took to win games whether using his arm or legs as needed. Flores reminded me of Noah Vedral in that regard.

Kaelin relied on the skill players to carry the team, but was effective when not rushed in the pocket. A slightly less athletic Chubba Purdy would be my comparison at this point. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Daniel Kaelin [Nebraska Commit]
  • Mavric pinned this topic

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Kaelin and Flores are both very similarly ranked, both 88.xx on the On3 consensus rankings.

Curious on people’s thoughts comparing the 2.  I have never seen Kaelin play, only saw Flores in the state title game last year.

Flores is the better all around QB.  He has a stronger arm and has better mobility.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
40 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Still trying to figure out which type of QB this staff is looking for and what kind of offense they ultimately plan on running….

I think it’s fair to bring in QB’s with different skill sets and have the offense adaptable to whomever wins the starting job. We haven’t seen one actual game yet. 

• TBH 1
10 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Flores is a better athlete and was more likely to do whatever it took to win games whether using his arm or legs as needed. Flores reminded me of Noah Vedral in that regard.

Kaelin relied on the skill players to carry the team, but was effective when not rushed in the pocket. A slightly less athletic Chubba Purdy would be my comparison at this point. 

Kaelin wsa also splitting time and IMO (I went to every game as my daughter cheers at BellWest) it looked like he was pressing to make an impression in his limited playing time.   He's had a lot of great talent around him and he has all the tools to be a big time QB.   This upcoming season he will be be QB1, which will give us a better idea of how good he can be.

• Fire 1

My daughter knew. She didn’t care.  She doesn’t care about the “sportsball or whatever” in general.  If I ask her specific questions about people at BellWest she always seems to know, just doesn’t share it because she finds it trivial.  But I do know a lot about people’s Insta and Snap stories.  

On 5/20/2023 at 12:37 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Sam McKewon speculated that NU has been working on him for a few weeks once they realized Raiola was out of the picture (which was probably in mid-April).  It does seem like a quick flip, but NU probably went to plan B once Raiola made it obvious he was going to UGa.

Read somewhere that they were 1a and 1b.  With NU confident they could get Kaelin if Raiola committed elsewhere.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 5/20/2023 at 11:53 AM, Wistrom Disciple said:

I only saw his hudl highlights but more often than not he was making passes in very tight windows and taking some shots as he threw. From what I saw he can take the heat, and yeah his receivers were making great catches but he also made great throws so the catch could happen. Maybe he looks different live in game but the tape looks pretty encouraging:dunno

• Plus1 2

Nice.  :)

The next step is to wait 3 years until he is competing as RSoph.  That's a long time from now unfortunately but should be expected.  Unless he doesn't redshirt.  Nothing against the kid, I just don't think we will see another 4 year starter at QB learning the ropes on the job (how to be P5 QB in Big Ten in his first or second year on campus).  

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

I only saw his hudl highlights but more often than not he was making passes in very tight windows and taking some shots as he threw. From what I saw he can take the heat, and yeah his receivers were making great catches but he also made great throws so the catch could happen. Maybe he looks different live in game but the tape looks pretty encouraging:dunno

I hope so. I must mention that highlight tapes are supposed to show the good plays and generally leave out the bad stuff. I was simply not impressed enough to think he was worthy of a scholarship at this stage. The fact that he also split time at QB as a Junior, as @sho mentioned, isn’t encouraging after they went 7-4 despite having some very talented players. 

Obviously the coaches thought differently so hopefully they can coach him up. 

• Haha 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Daniel Kaelin