Thunderin' Bolts at the Fayetteville Regional

9 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Important to get the bats going early so Povich can make it a quick outing to rest for his eventual second appearance. 

My thought as well.  It would be terrific to have Povich be able to exit after a breezy 5 innings of work with Nebraska up 7+ runs.  Here's hoping NU jumps on them early.

On 6/1/2021 at 2:15 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Great info!  Thanks!  I also hope that Northeastern hasn't seen a power-lefty like Cade Povich.  If NU gets by Northeastern in game 1, Hroch could be an interesting matchup against Arkansas on Saturday.  When Hroch's sinker is working, he can throw up goose eggs.  Of course, if he's leaving the ball up in the zone, Arkansas hitters will likely feast on him.

Apparently it's also possible you might see Schwellenbach in that second game. Got to beat Northeastern though.

Hopefully we get up early, I have a 8U game I'm coaching that night same time as the Nebraska game both Friday & Saturday...

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Important to get the bats going early so Povich can make it a quick outing to rest for his eventual second appearance. 

Northeastern's choice of pitchers got me thinking.  Should have we done the same thing?  Should have we started our #2 pitcher tomorrow and saved Povich for Arkansas?  I don't know the exact schedule.  But, would have that allowed Povich to pitch twice against Arkansas?

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Northeastern's choice of pitchers got me thinking.  Should have we done the same thing?  Should have we started our #2 pitcher tomorrow and saved Povich for Arkansas?  I don't know the exact schedule.  But, would have that allowed Povich to pitch twice against Arkansas?

Short answer is no.  Wins in the tourney can't be assumed, so I would start my #1 guy in the first game.  It only takes 2 losses to get bounced from the tourney.  Also, with Povich as a starting pitcher, he likely wouldn't be able to be used in multiple games anyway.  It''s best to get the wins when the team can, and then move on.

EDIT:  Also, Northeastern isn't starting their #1 against NU because he pitched on Sunday.  He needs another day of rest.  It's not like they are saving him to pitch against Arkansas.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Short answer is no.  Wins in the tourney can't be assumed, so I would start my #1 guy in the first game.  It only takes 2 losses to get bounced from the tourney.  Also, with Povich as a starting pitcher, he likely wouldn't be able to be used in multiple games anyway.  It''s best to get the wins when the team can, and then move on.

EDIT:  Also, Northeastern isn't starting their #1 against NU because he pitched on Sunday.  He needs another day of rest.  It's not like they are saving him to pitch against Arkansas.

Thanks,  Since I dont' know the schedule, I didn't know if there would be a chance he could pitch against Arkansas in the third game against them...if we get there.  As you pointed out, making sure you get there is the most important part at this point.

Question, do college starters rest longer than MLB starters?

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’d lead with power as well, it’s important to get that first W. I’d put the stress on the offense for the first game so you can get the bullpen some action to settle in for games 2-4. Then fight like hell in attempt to steal the first one from Arky and force their backs against the wall. 

If Povich only needs to go 3, that would be my ideal scenario. He’d still be fresh to make in appearance in game 3 - if it calls for it, or save him to start game 4. 

Arkansas fans already lined up for GA seats for tomorrow. Cheapest tickets on Stubhub for Saturday night sessions (reserved seats) are $250 a seat. Looks like I'll be watching from Omaha this weekend. Good luck to those who got tix and are headed down. I know we love to take over stadiums, but hogs won't be letting us pull that off! 

5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Arkansas fans already lined up for GA seats for tomorrow. Cheapest tickets on Stubhub for Saturday night sessions (reserved seats) are $250 a seat. Looks like I'll be watching from Omaha this weekend. Good luck to those who got tix and are headed down. I know we love to take over stadiums, but hogs won't be letting us pull that off! 

There are some all-session chairback passes on there now for cheaper ($143) than some single-game ones which doesn't make sense to me lol. Seems like they've gone down since yesterday though. There were people lined up with chairs and tents starting yesterday morning.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

There are some all-session chairback passes on there now for cheaper ($143) than some single-game ones which doesn't make sense to me lol. Seems like they've gone down since yesterday though. There were people lined up with chairs and tents starting yesterday morning.

You guys are nuts. But we're also nuts so I get it! 

10 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Buy the dip!

51 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I’d lead with power as well, it’s important to get that first W. I’d put the stress on the offense for the first game so you can get the bullpen some action to settle in for games 2-4. Then fight like hell in attempt to steal the first one from Arky and force their backs against the wall. 

If Povich only needs to go 3, that would be my ideal scenario. He’d still be fresh to make in appearance in game 3 - if it calls for it, or save him to start game 4. 

I honestly wouldn’t like starting Povich in a game 4 situation on 1 day rest, regardless of how many innings he pitches on Friday. Starting pitchers are creatures of habit, and Povich is used to getting full rest after appearances. I’m not saying it’s not possible, I just prefer to go with pitching by committee at that point, especially with the depth NU has in its staff. 

• Plus1 1