Thunderin' Bolts at the Fayetteville Regional

53 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

You guys are nuts. But we're also nuts so I get it! 

Haha I've always viewed Arkansas and Nebraska as similar situations - no pro sports teams and no other P5 college teams (although Creighton basketball is very good) so the state revolves around the flagship university 24/7. We even share a minor league baseball affiliate. We can appreciate your passion.

It's always frustrating seeing teams like Florida win basketball or baseball titles when fans barely show up to games.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I honestly wouldn’t like starting Povich in a game 4 situation on 1 day rest, regardless of how many innings he pitches on Friday. Starting pitchers are creatures of habit, and Povich is used to getting full rest after appearances. I’m not saying it’s not possible, I just prefer to go with pitching by committee at that point, especially with the depth NU has in its staff. 

IMO, At game 4 of a weekend tournament, it’s all hands on deck and days rest is all mental - you gotta be a rock and not wilt under pressure. 

If you can salvage your best pitcher to backend him for a start or at least long relief, then I would not over think regiments, but you’ll need him to eat innings. Especially in NUs position where you’re trying to knock off the #1 overall, you gotta be a gamer. 

If you don’t have a bulldog then you don’t stand a chance. 

27 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

IMO, At game 4 of a weekend tournament, it’s all hands on deck and days rest is all mental - you gotta be a rock and not wilt under pressure. 

If you can salvage your best pitcher to backend him for a start or at least long relief, then I would not over think regiments, but you’ll need him to eat innings. Especially in NUs position where you’re trying to knock off the #1 overall, you gotta be a gamer. 

If you don’t have a bulldog then you don’t stand a chance. 

I get what you are saying, but trying to push a starter on short rest doesn't always produce the best results.  I love Povich, and he's a power arm, but I am not sure if he would be effective on short rest.  I would rather have Povich eat innings in Game 1 and keep all the relievers available for the rest of the weekend.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get what you are saying, but trying to push a starter on short rest doesn't always produce the best results.  I love Povich, and he's a power arm, but I am not sure if he would be effective on short rest.  I would rather have Povich eat innings in Game 1 and keep all the relievers available for the rest of the weekend.

If that’s the type of pitcher he is then I see your angle too, except I may not throw him game 1 and save him for game 2, 3, or 4 - depending on results, but that’s another rabbit hole.

It’ll be interesting to see how Bolt manages this weekend, making it to Sunday will be a huge stepping stone with the already full steam of momentum this squad has gained. 

14 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

If that’s the type of pitcher he is then I see your angle too, except I may not throw him game 1 and save him for game 2, 3, or 4 - depending on results, but that’s another rabbit hole.

It’ll be interesting to see how Bolt manages this weekend, making it to Sunday will be a huge stepping stone with the already full steam of momentum this squad has gained. 

I already covered why I wouldn't skip his normal start on Friday.  Game 1 is the most important game right now, and teams can't look ahead.  Povich gives NU the best opportunity to win game 1.  He's NU's best pitcher, pitching on his normal rest, and routine.  Friday games are the most important of each series during the season.  Why change that up for the most important games of the season?  NU can't prepare for Arkansas or any other future game without winning game 1 first.

• Plus1 1