Thunderin' Bolts at the Fayetteville Regional

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would guess they're banking on being able to get through the first game with their #2/3 guy and save their ace for game 2.

Plus that give him an extra day of rest after a long weekend.

Yeah, if Arkansas is the #1 overall seed, then they are probably thinking they can beat the worst team in the field with their #2 or #3 starter.  It would be hilarious if it bit them in the butt, but with their lineup, it's unlikely.

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, if Arkansas is the #1 overall seed, then they are probably thinking they can beat the worst team in the field with their #2 or #3 starter.  It would be hilarious if it bit them in the butt, but with their lineup, it's unlikely.

If they get into a jam Kopps will extinguish the fire. They have the luxury of starting who they want in game 1.  NJT is about .500 right? 

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yep. We should all become huge fans of the NJIT Highlanders and hope they just tear Arky's starter a new one to screw with their bullpen lol

• Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

26-22, but won their last 9 games. Begs the question why Arkansas got NJIT and not Jacksonville who is 16-32 or Southern who is 20-28. But I need to stop trying to understand why this committee made any of these decisions. 

I guess the NCAA thought New Jersey was closer than Jacksonville or Southern-:D  Since Northeastern is in our regional too. Someone needs to send them a map or show them how google works

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

26-22, but won their last 9 games. Begs the question why Arkansas got NJIT and not Jacksonville who is 16-32 or Southern who is 20-28. But I need to stop trying to understand why this committee made any of these decisions. 

Q: Why did Alabama get into the postseason?

Bigwig commissioner guy: "Their strength of schedule, I think that's pretty much it..."

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

Q: Why did Alabama get into the postseason?

Bigwig commissioner guy: "They're strength of schedule, I think that's pretty much it..."

giphy.gif

"Alright Committee leader, now that you have the bracket released, now is the time for your interview with the media about how you made the bracket decisions."

xKMdPiL.gif

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

What is their reasoning for doing that do you think?

He's arguably NU's best pitcher and you want to deploy your best pitching weapon in the highest leverage situations IMO.  If that means coming on in the 6th with the bases loaded and 2 outs while protecting a 1 run lead, cool.  If it means closing the 9th, that's cool too.

11 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I guess the NCAA thought New Jersey was closer than Jacksonville or Southern-:D  Since Northeastern is in our regional too. Someone needs to send them a map or show them how google works

I mean the "closeness" thing is silly when they sent Central Connecticut to FREAKING EUGENE, OREGON. A mere 46 hour bus ride for the Blue Devils. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I already covered why I wouldn't skip his normal start on Friday.  Game 1 is the most important game right now, and teams can't look ahead.  Povich gives NU the best opportunity to win game 1.  He's NU's best pitcher, pitching on his normal rest, and routine.  Friday games are the most important of each series during the season.  Why change that up for the most important games of the season?  NU can't prepare for Arkansas or any other future game without winning game 1 first.

Never looked past Friday - said it was important to jump out early so he could exit early.

Friday games in the regular season are not equal to Friday games in a tournament.

They way you are describing Povich, and starters, is not an ideal Ace for any staff in any tournament situation - as you’ve already acknowledged Arkansas’ approach without worry for their #1 and #2 routines. So that comes off like either a Povich thing or your opinion about starters is murky. 

47 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Slavens is a pretty big loss. We had to rearrange our lineup and put our DH in LF as a result and he’s...not the most natural fielder to put it nicely.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Never looked past Friday - said it was important to jump out early so he could exit early.

Friday games in the regular season are not equal to Friday games in a tournament.

They way you are describing Povich, and starters, is not an ideal Ace for any staff in any tournament situation - as you’ve already acknowledged Arkansas’ approach without worry for their #1 and #2 routines. So that comes off like either a Povich thing or your opinion about starters is murky. 

I am a huge Povich fan. He’s been great all season. I just don’t think it’s smart to count on him for more than 1 game over 3 days, and that’s not a knock on Povich. Why take him out early if NU is comfortably ahead, when he can eat innings and keep the bullpen more rested for the rest of the weekend. One of NU’s strengths is a deep bullpen.  Why do you want to force Povich into another game when you have no idea if he will be successful in that role?

• Plus1 1