Thunderin' Bolts at the Fayetteville Regional

1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Wiggins is said to have a 95+ fastball

However he does tend to be a little wild. His BB numbers are about half his innings numbers. He usually just pitches 1-2 innings. NU needs baserunners and runs early, run his pitch count up, battle. 

Expect Arky to try to get Wiggins to 3 innings. Then get another 1-2 from another pitcher before trying to get it to Kopps the last 4 innings. 

Key is to get out early and ahead before they put Kopps in, then keep the pressure on. 

Or get them try to put Kopps in early. Just gotta do what we've done all year, play #BoltBall

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I still don’t quite know how this was just a foul ball.  Did it hit his bat after it hit his face?

I don't think they called it a foul ball, I think they said he offered a bunt attempt (didn't pull the bat back in time), which the strike would override the hit by pitch..  It could have hit off the bat and ricocheted into his face, I've seen that happen in baseball.

I actually thought he didn't attempt the bunt and it just hit him in his face and he should have been awarded first base.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I still don’t quite know how this was just a foul ball.  Did it hit his bat after it hit his face?

I hadn't gotten home yet so I didn't see it.  But you aren't afforded the same protections if you're "swinging" at a pitch.  It sounded like he had squared to bunt so apparently they ruled that he hadn't pulled the bat back so he was still attempting to hit it.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I hadn't gotten home yet so I didn't see it.  But you aren't afforded the same protections if you're "swinging" at a pitch.  It sounded like he had squared to bunt so apparently they ruled that he hadn't pulled the bat back so he was still attempting to hit it.

Yea, I'm not 100% sure he pulled back, but is swing/no swing a reviewable play? 

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It was very close.  Efry had squared to bunt, and was starting to bring his bat back, but the ball came up and in much faster than he anticipated.  It was a borderline call whether it should have been a strike.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think they called it a foul ball, I think they said he offered a bunt attempt (didn't pull the bat back in time), which the strike would override the hit by pitch..  It could have hit off the bat and ricocheted into his face, I've seen that happen in baseball.

I actually thought he didn't attempt the bunt and it just hit him in his face and he should have been awarded first base.

Ok, I think the announcers said something about a foul ball but they could have been just guessing as to why it was a strike. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It was very close.  Efry had squared to bunt, and was starting to bring his bat back, but the ball came up and in much faster than he anticipated.  It was a borderline call whether it should have been a strike.

The part I would like to know is whether or not the home plate umpire made the call on the attempted bunt or not. Few things irk me more in baseball than when the home plate umpire calls an attempted swing, they are looking at the pitch not the batter so not sure how they think they should make that call and not one of the other umpires.