Thunderin' Bolts at the Fayetteville Regional

Great effort and performance from our team, just had one bad break in a tough environment we outperformed to get to in the first place. Hats off to Arkansas on rising to the occasion and taking advantage of their strenghts.

Bolt thus far seems to be the guy, which is really exciting. Although, not to be pessimistic, but I will temper my expectations some. Lots of coaches across different sports have a big 2nd year, then fall back down to earth a little bit. Remember Tim Miles? Impossible to predict if this will be the new normal or an aberration, but I'll enjoy the ride as long as it's enjoyable!

As far as the fans/players, I don't mind any of it. It's sports! Bunch of whiners in here complaining about a team and its fans being excited and enthusiastic about their #1 team at home in a great battle. Midwestern polite pride is so weird! If their team and fans were so lacking in class, returning the favor and doing the same to them in Omaha  just proves that we don't have any class either.

Great season boys. Go big red!

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

This is one of the few times griping about officiating is warranted. 

Those calls directly pushed the game in favor of Arky. It's a damn shame after the season this crew had some jag behind home plate can unilaterally decide they needed to lose.

Heard on 1620 this morning that ump is from 45 min outside Fayetteville,  too. Straight garbage.

He's an Arkansas State grad- so I'm guessing he's local to that area. Not sure why they let a local be the Home Plate Umpire in this situation? Lots of pressure from your neighbors to advance the #1 team in the country. 

He had called a reasonable game up until the time Bunz was about to get NU out of the inning.  With Kopps pitching, it probably wasnt going to matter anyway, but he made a 3-2 game a 6-2 game with little chance for us to win. Both of Bunz pitches were strikes. 

22 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Great effort and performance from our team, just had one bad break in a tough environment we outperformed to get to in the first place. Hats off to Arkansas on rising to the occasion and taking advantage of their strenghts.

Bolt thus far seems to be the guy, which is really exciting. Although, not to be pessimistic, but I will temper my expectations some. Lots of coaches across different sports have a big 2nd year, then fall back down to earth a little bit. Remember Tim Miles? Impossible to predict if this will be the new normal or an aberration, but I'll enjoy the ride as long as it's enjoyable!

As far as the fans/players, I don't mind any of it. It's sports! Bunch of whiners in here complaining about a team and its fans being excited and enthusiastic about their #1 team at home in a great battle. Midwestern polite pride is so weird! If their team and fans were so lacking in class, returning the favor and doing the same to them in Omaha  just proves that we don't have any class either.

Biggest difference between Miles and Bolt is that Bolt has momentum on the recruiting trail, he has an impressive class coming in for next year and great starts for the next few cycles. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

I think another big differentiator is that Nebraska has consistently been churning out high level HS talent for a while now which helps on the crootin front.  It's so hard to constantly fill up the ranks from transfers and JuCos.

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, Loebarth said:

That player reacted to how your fans were trashing him. Your players throwing throat slash was seen. 

Very trashy fans that support trashy players. They played the dvh support right out of Omaha. You might think you'll fill the stadium but you won't and EVERY arky opponent will be the crowd favorite. So best that you congratulate the husker players for exceeding your expectations and move on. 

Some of them probably went over the line but honestly, any athlete playing D1 college sports should be able to handle the opposing fan base trashing him. That's the point, to get under their skin. It happens to every left fielder that comes to Baum and they usually don't get butthurt about it.

Neither side of players or fans is blameless in taunting, throwing out insults or going overboard and it sucks that it escalated the way it did but I suppose when you get two passionate fanbases together it's bound to happen. It just doesn't make sense to get mad at one team's player for stomping on the plate when the other did the same thing.

If I was a Nebraska fan, I’m sure I’d be complaining.  If we had lost, I’d have complained about the ‘low’ strike zone calls.
That ‘fluid’ strike zone seemed consistent to me.  Your pitchers punched out a bunch of our batters on pitches that often looked low.  I howled each time.

Evenly matched teams.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

It just doesn't make sense to get mad at one team's player for stomping on the plate when the other did the same thing.

I agree. Didn't see anything from your players or fans that I took issue with as we surely did or do the same types of things. That type of energy for your side is what makes sports great! 

51 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Some of them probably went over the line but honestly, any athlete playing D1 college sports should be able to handle the opposing fan base trashing him. That's the point, to get under their skin. It happens to every left fielder that comes to Baum and they usually don't get butthurt about it.

Neither side of players or fans is blameless in taunting, throwing out insults or going overboard and it sucks that it escalated the way it did but I suppose when you get two passionate fanbases together it's bound to happen. It just doesn't make sense to get mad at one team's player for stomping on the plate when the other did the same thing.

When the fans go after a player’s GF and Mom and spreading their information to others online that is going way too far. 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

When the fans go after a player’s GF and Mom and spreading their information to others online that is going way too far. 

Yeah but all of that is publicly available on social media anyways. The Twitter mob will bring up things that you did 10 years ago and use it against you, just the world we live in today.

The worst I remember is the brother of a left fielder had gotten a DUI a few weeks before Arkansas played them and the Hog Pen was giving the LF hell about it all game, asking him if he needed a DD, etc. The student section in particular does their homework. Most of it is innocent stuff though like making fun of a haircut they had or weird prom photos.

4 hours ago, Mack said:

Congratulations to Nebraska baseball.  I especially congratulate the fans that understood we were deeper, and Kopps who was the ultimate difference.  I don’t congratulate the ones who thought the ‘fluid’ strike zone beat them.  They’re snowflakes.

Note... I hunt Nebraska every other year, alternating with Kansas.  I’ve seen plenty of one tooth wonders and mostly great folks...

just like here.

Use your eyeholes, man. Tell me Moore didn't strike out at least twice here:

E3UwQrDXIAE_FGd?format=jpg&name=large

No Moore on base, no big inning, dollars to donuts.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Yeah but all of that is publicly available on social media anyways. The Twitter mob will bring up things that you did 10 years ago and use it against you, just the world we live in today.

The worst I remember is the brother of a left fielder had gotten a DUI a few weeks before Arkansas played them and the Hog Pen was giving the LF hell about it all game, asking him if he needed a DD, etc. The student section in particular does their homework. Most of it is innocent stuff though like making fun of a haircut they had or weird prom photos.

The difference between your example and what happened is that Arky fans went after his Mom and GF and not just Mojo. Mojo can take it and will dish it back just as quick, leave his family out of it. 

45 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

I hear its the only kind of homework they do.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

So it's okay for your fanbase to go after a players mom and gf?  I guess that's the SEC way, huh?  Pathetic.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Mack said:

If I was a Nebraska fan, I’m sure I’d be complaining.  If we had lost, I’d have complained about the ‘low’ strike zone calls.
That ‘fluid’ strike zone seemed consistent to me.  Your pitchers punched out a bunch of our batters on pitches that often looked low.  I howled each time.

Evenly matched teams.

Consistently inconsistent the worst