Thunderin' Bolts at the Fayetteville Regional

Helluva season and ride with this squad. Arkansas will be battle tested for damned sure. Kopps finally lived up to his repertoire and delivered an awesome performance. The mistakes finally came to bite NU and the deeper team won, also big benefit of winning game 2 of a regional. I don’t know if Arkansas wins more than 6 if they played 10 times - this NU team can hang. Program establishing weekend. Bolt is a hot commodity and is going to attract more talent - the future is bright. 

My petty comment of the weekend, those broadcasters need Clorox to rinse out the slurpage of Arkansas.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If you thought the K zone was fluid last night, especially late in the game, you were right.

I felt like it was sort of hard to tell because of the camera angle, but to say that Umpire seemed inconsistent was an understatement.

I dont love blaming things on the ump but it seemed like he got caught up in the moment/crowd.

12 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Why you don’t walk the bases loaded against the best team in the count. Bunz hasn’t looked comfortable in Fayetteville at all

Bunz really hasn't looked that great all season, TBH. But he's a Junior, so let's see if we can coach him and he can improve during the offseason. 

He will be good a litmus test, IMO, for if we need to go a different route with the pitching coaching for this team. Still think pitching was our weakest link this season, but after the success we had, that's nitpicking a bit. 

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

He will be good a litmus test, IMO, for if we need to go a different route with the pitching coaching for this team. Still think pitching was our weakest link this season, but after the success we had, that's nitpicking a bit. 

I mean ... we were #22 in the country in ERA, #27 in hits allowed per nine innings and #18 in WHIP. 

We were #70 in batting average #75 in on base percentage.  

I think your perceptions are somewhat skewed.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Bunz really hasn't looked that great all season, TBH. But he's a Junior, so let's see if we can coach him and he can improve during the offseason. 

Bunz in spurts dominated. He can get a bit over pumped at times. Last night he threw well enough for NU to get out of the inning- but well placed strikes were called balls. 

Our pitching was helped by a great defense and excellent scouting. How many times did we see a real odd shift where our fielders were in perfect position to steal a base hit? Great catches in the outfield, outstanding throws, relays etc all season long

I also credit the coaching staff on pitching approach, pitch selection etc. Povich improved as the season progressed, Roach was resilient got us lots of good innings and Shanaman did some good things late. The pitching changes were at times early and often- but seemed to work out. That goes to our coaches. Lets not change ANYTHING about that. 

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

If you thought the K zone was fluid last night, especially late in the game, you were right.

This is one of the few times griping about officiating is warranted. 

Those calls directly pushed the game in favor of Arky. It's a damn shame after the season this crew had some jag behind home plate can unilaterally decide they needed to lose.

Heard on 1620 this morning that ump is from 45 min outside Fayetteville,  too. Straight garbage.

• Plus1 1

Congratulations to Nebraska baseball.  I especially congratulate the fans that understood we were deeper, and Kopps who was the ultimate difference.  I don’t congratulate the ones who thought the ‘fluid’ strike zone beat them.  They’re snowflakes.

Note... I hunt Nebraska every other year, alternating with Kansas.  I’ve seen plenty of one tooth wonders and mostly great folks...

just like here.

43 minutes ago, Mack said:

I don’t congratulate the ones who thought the ‘fluid’ strike zone beat them.

I don't think anyone thinks the fluid strike zone is what beat us. You guys are the #1 team for a reason, and you just outlasted us. Plus Kopps is a beast.

But that strike zone did change, it played a role in the game, and it's worth mentioning. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, Mack said:

Congratulations to Nebraska baseball.  I especially congratulate the fans that understood we were deeper, and Kopps who was the ultimate difference.  I don’t congratulate the ones who thought the ‘fluid’ strike zone beat them.  They’re snowflakes.

Note... I hunt Nebraska every other year, alternating with Kansas.  I’ve seen plenty of one tooth wonders and mostly great folks...

just like here.

No, what beat us was that we ran out of pitching and you had Kopps.  Then, our batters swung at way too many early pitches that were in the dirt which didn't allow us to get his pitch count up.  That's a good sign of a good pitcher.  But, we hurt ourselves there.

But, like @knapplc pointed out, the strike zone changing is worth noting because it played a part in the game.

I'm still very surprised Kopps pitched as much as he did last night.

• Plus1 1