Erstad vs. Bolt

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What do you think the big difference is between these two coaches that has the team playing so much better now than they did under Erstad?

Bolt has the team playing very aggressively and confidently.  But, I alway thought that was Erstad's personality and how he played also.

I feel like I played for an Erstad growing up, a coach with great knowledge of the game, but emphasized *how to be* a professional down to the detail. Too technical, too much situational thinking. Bolt is letting them play and if they make to the next level then they’ll have the tools for someone else to coach them up. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I feel like I played for an Erstad growing up, a coach with great knowledge of the game, but emphasized *how to be* a professional down to the detail. Too technical, too much situational thinking. Bolt is letting them play and if they make to the next level then they’ll have the tools for someone else to coach them up. 

Also offensive play styles.

Honestly, who cares. It seems to me you a nitpicking Erstad. Get over it. Coach Erstad gave more to this program then any coach before or after him ever will. Donations, sweat, loyalty, time.... He left the cupboard full, with a unified, tradition rich, scrappy group of young men. Young men that want to leave this program on a high note. Bolt doesn't have this success without Darin's hard work and support. Just stop trying to belittle what Darin Erstad, a humble, hard working, dedicated father and incredible supporter of Nebraska, did for this program. Darin's accolades will long out last your petty comparisons. 

Enjoy the moment to its fullest. Be thankful of Darin's efforts and appreciate the play of this group. After all, they've earned it 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

I noticed an amazing thing by Bolt during last night's game against Arkansas.  It was the top of the 9th, NU clinging to a 2-run lead, and Schwellenbach was running on fumes.  ESPN showed Bolt in the dugout, and he was standing there, and looked as calm as he could be.  His demeanor in the dugout has to be a positive for the team.

From Erstad's playing career, that guy was a ball of fire and energy and showed that on the field.  I wonder if he showed too much of that emotion during the games, and that wore off on his players.  I know that when I was coaching youth baseball, I would get too up and down on each pitch & at-bat.  Looking back at it, it probably wasn't good for me or for the kids to get too up and down.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Honestly, who cares. It seems to me you a nitpicking Erstad. Get over it. Coach Erstad gave more to this program then any coach before or after him ever will. Donations, sweat, loyalty, time.... He left the cupboard full, with a unified, tradition rich, scrappy group of young men. Young men that want to leave this program on a high note. Bolt doesn't have this success without Darin's hard work and support. Just stop trying to belittle what Darin Erstad, a humble, hard working, dedicated father and incredible supporter of Nebraska, did for this program. Darin's accolades will long out last your petty comparisons. 

Enjoy the moment to its fullest. Be thankful of Darin's efforts and appreciate the play of this group. After all, they've earned it 

I don't think anyone is slamming Erstad here.  He deserves a lot of credit for this team by bringing in the upperclassmen on this team.  But, many of those players have said that they have improved by Bolt changing some of their attitudes and approach at the plate/in the field.  Jaxon Hallmark has said that he thought he was a power hitter, and Bolt got him to buy-in to hitting for more contact and using his speed.  That has led to him being All-Big Ten this year.  Roskam has benefitted by Bolt telling him to stop being a dead-pull hitter, and hit to all fields (which has improved his power numbers).

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Darin, is that you?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

Dude, chill. I’m simply asking what the difference is. I like both and think both did good things for Nebraska.  

Reasons why one coach wins more than another is something that interests me. 

Sometimes it’s good just to go with a conversation instead of jumping all over the post.  

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I understand the reason. Simply exhausted with the coach comparisons. If my tone struck harshly it's because I am enjoying this championship season to its fullest. 

There are discussions in threads on here that I get really tired of.  I typically just don't even open the thread and leave the discussion to the people who find it interesting.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are discussions in threads on here that I get really tired of.  I typically just don't even open the thread and leave the discussion to the people who find it interesting.

Yeah... I get it. You are allowed to bust my chops. Just want only positive thoughts today.

Bolt’s hitting instruction was second to none. Some of us were on the Bolt bandwagon before we even hired Erstad and suggested Bolt should have gotten the reigns well before Erstad retired. 

Better late than never, and I do hope that Moos and Company make Bolt’s stay in Lincoln a long-term and career-defining one. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
23 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I think that's fair.  Erstad's teams just seemed to play super tight and on edge which is fine, really hard to sustain though.  I'm not sure an Erstad team comes back against Northeastern on Friday.

• Plus1 3
35 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I think that's fair.  Erstad's teams just seemed to play super tight and on edge which is fine, really hard to sustain though.  I'm not sure an Erstad team comes back against Northeastern on Friday.

This is a good callout. And it explains why we performed so poorly in past Tourney appearances.

Regardless, we're in a good spot now with Bolt, thankfully, and I can't wait to see what next season brings.

• Plus1 3