12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

28 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

12 is too many.

8 is probably where it goes, and that's okay. I'd kinda like to see 6.

Regardless of how many there are, the first team left out will always be upset, whether they are #5, #7, #9, or #13. I guess you ask yourself at what point should someone get a shot at it?

Sure wish we'd had this in the 80s. Wouldn't it have been nice to have a second crack at Oklahoma a couple times?

Almost every year in the 1980s was a one play or in the case of 1982, 2 feet out of bounds, (or one finger tip in 83) that kept us from the top.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

Sure wish we'd had this in the 80s. Wouldn't it have been nice to have a second crack at Oklahoma a couple times?

80’s....Oklahoma......with Keith Jackson (who seemingly played for them for all ten years of the 80’s)?  No thanks. More games against them might actually have succeeded in running off TO.

35 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Some say 12 is too many. Until the day when Nebraska is the 12th team and gets a crack at the Natty. Imagine 2009 Nebraska with Suh sneaking into a playoff. Who knows what could have happened. Being hot at the right time.

We were #20 going into the Holiday Bowl, so don't think we would've made it anyway. Really needed to not lose to Iowa State.

And it would've been fun, but the 12th team actually winning the championship is probably about as likely as an 11/12 seed winning the basketball championship. Which has not happened. An 8 seed is unlikely as well, but at least plausible. 

3 hours ago, Redux said:

I already fixed this a long time ago.

8 teams

5 Power 5 champs get in automatically

2 at large teams selected by comittee

1 group of 5 champ selected by committee 

I used to be onboard with this setup too, but now I struggle with the GO5 getting an automatic bid.  Maybe a stipulation that the auto bid would be only if the GO5 champ was undefeated, ala UCF 2017.

14 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I used to be onboard with this setup too, but now I struggle with the GO5 getting an automatic bid.  Maybe a stipulation that the auto bid would be only if the GO5 champ was undefeated, ala UCF 2017.

It's the right idea but you have to put a couple qualifiers on it.

I fixed it years ago:

• Five Power 5 Conference Champions (provided they are in the Top 12 of the final standings)
  • Highest-rated Group of Five Champion auto-qualifies if they are in the Top 12
  • Remaining two teams chosen by committee
  • No more than two per conference

Now that the field is set, how does the playoff itself actually work and how does it mesh with the other bowls?

• Those eight teams are locked into New Year's Six bowls on a rotating basis (as they do now with four)
  • Remaining bowl assignments can proceed as they currently do
  • Higher-seeded teams host the quarter final game two weeks after CCG weekend
  • The four teams that lose in the quarter finals will be matched up in two pre-determined New Year's Six bowl games (rotating)
  • The four teams that win in the quarter finals will move on to two other New Year's Six games as the semi-finals (rotating, as they do now)
  • Championship game one week later (as it is now)
  • Bowl structure preserved.  Conference championships matter.  Group of Five teams have a chance.  Doesn't extend the season (time-wise).  Bowl season begins and ends with a bang.

QED

• Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow