12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

Kind of interesting if it is, in fact, "the six highest conference champions".  Would be interesting to see how that works if, say, Cincinnati goes 13-0 and UCF is 12-1 and rated higher than 11-3 Oregon, or something like that.  I suppose the lower-rated conference champion could still be one of the other six but it would get interesting.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Kind of interesting if it is, in fact, "the six highest conference champions".  Would be interesting to see how that works if, say, Cincinnati goes 13-0 and UCF is 12-1 and rated higher than 11-3 Oregon, or something like that.  I suppose the lower-rated conference champion could still be one of the other six but it would get interesting.

LOVE this

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Sam's take on this. It's a solid take.

Probably to begin with yes but kids will filter around to more schools if they are making it, which should help parity.  Better teams lead to more draft picks and things should lead to more upsets of the big 4 in the playoff.

Regardless this is still WAY more interesting than just watching Oklahoma lose and OSU/Clemson/Bama battle for the title.

31 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Regardless of where ND may lie I still think 12 games is simply too much.  8 at the most makes the most sense to me.  You're talking a pretty long season - 15-16 or whatever games just to make it all the way.  Overkill.

It's maybe one game more than Texas high school champions play. Last year's finalists, Southlake Carroll and Austin Westlake played 14 & 15 games, respectively.

Notre Dame plays a 12-game season, makes the playoffs, can't get a bye so they play in the first round. They win the first & second round games, they'll play 15 games in a season.

Clemson plays a 12-game season, plus the ACC Championship. They win, they get a first-round bye, win their first playoff game (round two) and they'll play a 15-game season.

If High School kids can do it, they can do it in college.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's maybe one game more than Texas high school champions play. Last year's finalists, Southlake Carroll and Austin Westlake played 14 & 15 games, respectively.

Notre Dame plays a 12-game season, makes the playoffs, can't get a bye so they play in the first round. They win the first & second round games, they'll play 15 games in a season.

Clemson plays a 12-game season, plus the ACC Championship. They win, they get a first-round bye, win their first playoff game (round two) and they'll play a 15-game season.

If High School kids can do it, they can do it in college.

I still maintain that 12 teams is simply overkill.  It's all a matter of opinion though.  

17 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I still maintain that 12 teams is simply overkill.  It's all a matter of opinion though.  

You may be right. As I said, they can do it - doesn't mean they should.

It'll be interesting to see if the prospect of even more post-season games makes more players opt out, too. Why risk one, two or even three playoff games when you're a first-round projection?

• Fire 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You may be right. As I said, they can do it - doesn't mean they should.

It'll be interesting to see if the prospect of even more post-season games makes more players opt out, too. Why risk one, two or even three playoff games when you're a first-round projection?

Yes that's one of the things that crossed my mind as well.  The opting out for players who are looking at a possible high draft selection in their future but now are also faced with an additional 3-4 games to the season.  Maybe opting out won't be an issue however. 

12 teams, 8 teams, 6 teams.  In the end I am very glad that the CFP is finally actually expanding.  4 just wasn't enough.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow