12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

E3izCW_XEAA-Zpb?format=jpg&name=large

Per the new format however I don't believe ND would have received a bye due to them not being conference champions.  

3 teams from the same conference is too many.  This shows 4 SEC teams in a playoff. 

I can get behind 2.  And not necessarily the conf runner up.  But they have to come up with a formula.

I also don't like the idea of lopsided round 1 games.  Indiana, BYU, Iowa State, North Carolina, Coastal, Army, UCF, Cincinnati, etc, make the playoffs, and their reward is to go to Oklahoma or Oregon or Notre Dame or Georgia. 

Would be exciting to have a playoff lotto for teams 5-12.  Each team with a ping pong ball.  Select 2 teams.  4 drawings.  Remove human element.  Then maybe do a 2nd lotto immediately after that to determine home team.  People would watch tath lol.  I know, just thinking outside the box here.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

8 teams with relegation is the answer I’d love to see. Hear me out before you throw me out -

In my ideal state - Each Power 5 conference is connected to a group of 5 conference:

ACC to AAC

Big Ten to MAC

Big 12 to Sunbelt

PAC 12 to Mountain West

SEC to C-USA

The worst team every year in the SEC drops into C-USA, but (the exciting part!) the winner of C-USA moves up into SEC. If there is a tie for last place... bowl game (or should we call them Blow Games)? 

Why in the hello Carl?

This gives an opportunity for those group of five teams to develop into something bigger. It creates an opportunity for them to compete on a bigger stage, make more money from TV deals, and creates some crazy incentives for those bottom feeders who are always at the bottom of each P5 conference to step it up.

Relegation = parity. Most importantly, every game matters in the regular season again.

• Haha 1
On 6/10/2021 at 4:22 AM, TGHusker said:

Almost every year in the 1980s was a one play or in the case of 1982, 2 feet out of bounds, (or one finger tip in 83) that kept us from the top.

Miami doesn't even qualify for a 4-team playoff in 1983. We woulda played Illinois and then Texas or Auburn.

And we probably get a Penn St. rematch the year before. 

• Plus1 1
On 6/10/2021 at 4:42 AM, JJ Husker said:

80’s....Oklahoma......with Keith Jackson (who seemingly played for them for all ten years of the 80’s)?  No thanks. More games against them might actually have succeeded in running off TO.

OK maybe that's a bad example.

But I think of games like 1980 or 1984 specifically.

11 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

OK maybe that's a bad example.

But I think of games like 1980 or 1984 specifically.

Yeah, I’m a big fan of the first half of that decade. Thats when I was a student there. Shouldve had a natty or two. But for some reason when I hear 80’s and Oklahoma I think of the last half that wasn’t quite as good.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Regardless of where ND may lie I still think 12 games is simply too much.  8 at the most makes the most sense to me.  You're talking a pretty long season - 15-16 or whatever games just to make it all the way.  Overkill.

Does this mean ND will choose to join a conference? The ACC?

1 hour ago, nic said:

Does this mean ND will choose to join a conference? The ACC?

No.  It means ND, BYU, Army and Liberty will be screwed.  Even if one or 2 go 12-0. 

Playoff is an exciting idea, until Army goes 11-1. That's when you see a 9-3 SEC/B1G team skip over them.  For a playoff, that Not fair IMO.

The 1st round bye is NCAA flexing muscle towards independents.  And favors the other P5 conferences, for whatever reason they tell you.

6 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Texas, USC, Miami, Florida State, Stanford, VaTech, have all been down during this time. 

The B1G and SEC have been shuffling teams in and out of the top 10 on a weekly basis.  That's why the perception of those 2 conferences as heavy hitters.  It doesn't justify anything.  It proves the playoff standings fill up when those other traditional top 10-15 players (teams) aren't involved like they used to be. 

9 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

Miami doesn't even qualify for a 4-team playoff in 1983. We woulda played Illinois and then Texas or Auburn.

And we probably get a Penn St. rematch the year before. 

Would have, could have, should have been nice to have had that rematch wt PSU.  The 82 team may rank as the best all time 1 loss team wtout a NC. They were better than the the 83 team overall but not better than home cooking referees at PSU.   Remember there were 2 blown calls that instant replay would have over ruled - the out of bounds catch and the actual trapped 'catch' for the TD. 

2 minutes ago, nic said:

Sorry if this was addressed already.  Are there 6 auto bids from conference champs? If so what is the 6th conference?

Six highest-rated conference champions.  Doesn't matter which conference.  Doesn't have to include all Power 5 conferences.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, admo said:

Texas, USC, Miami, Florida State, Stanford, VaTech, have all been down during this time. 

The B1G and SEC have been shuffling teams in and out of the top 10 on a weekly basis.  That's why the perception of those 2 conferences as heavy hitters.  It doesn't justify anything.  It proves the playoff standings fill up when those other traditional top 10-15 players (teams) aren't involved like they used to be. 

Eh ... Nebraska, Michigan, Auburn and LSU (other than one season) have been somewhat during that time as well.  I'd say every conference had their chances and shortcomings.

16 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I still maintain that 12 teams is simply overkill.  It's all a matter of opinion though.  

I agree it's overkill.  But, I've always thought the "the kids can't play that many games" was a pretty piss poor argument when other levels of football play that many with no problem.

I still maintain, like you, that 8 is the perfect number.  Use CCGs to figure out who goes.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree it's overkill.  But, I've always thought the "the kids can't play that many games" was a pretty piss poor argument when other levels of football play that many with no problem.

I still maintain, like you, that 8 is the perfect number.  Use CCGs to figure out who goes.

I didn't list all of the reasons that I am not a fan but as knapple pointed out especially in today's world of big time contracts for rookies and the player opt outs.  Just seems like a possibility of holdouts with the added 3-4 games for guys who are looking at getting drafted really high.  That and I am not a fan of having the top 4 teams automatically receiving a bye.  So in other words your Alabama's especially, Clemson's, Oklahoma's.  Everyone already knows how great you are so lets just give you a first round bye.  With 8 teams there are no bye's so as I have mentioned here previously to me 8 is that sweet spot.  12 is too much for more than 1 reason.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow