12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

On 6/15/2021 at 8:07 AM, RedDenver said:

Sure, that would be fun for me as a Nebraska fan.

But I used to watch as many of the bowl games as I could under the old system and as much of the regular season as I could. I rarely watch regular season games in sports with big playoffs at the end because the stakes just don't really matter all that much. And I now barely watch college football games other than Nebraska. I watch a few bowl games but rarely watch the playoffs because I haven't followed the teams during the season and generally don't care who wins. I think overall the old bowl system was better for the sport as a whole. The playoff just attempts to limit the debate over who was best that year but doesn't really add anything IMO.

Curious what you define as old system in terms of year or era.  IMO, the bowl system has been so incredibly watered down going back to like 15 years ago where now there are just too many and the couple few good matchups are lost in the shuffle and overshadowed by the playoffs.  

I feel like bowls used to have a unique draw because it gave viewers a chance to see a team for the first time or a classic matchup was at hand.  Now, with almost every single D1 school being broadcasted each week, bowl games just seem to be lackluster and lack the compelling reasons for me to tune in

18 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Curious what you define as old system in terms of year or era.  IMO, the bowl system has been so incredibly watered down going back to like 15 years ago where now there are just too many and the couple few good matchups are lost in the shuffle and overshadowed by the playoffs.  

I feel like bowls used to have a unique draw because it gave viewers a chance to see a team for the first time or a classic matchup was at hand.  Now, with almost every single D1 school being broadcasted each week, bowl games just seem to be lackluster and lack the compelling reasons for me to tune in

I define the old system as the bowl system before the BCS and whatever the predecessor was (BCA?), so before 1992.

57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I figured it was a reporter asking him questions.  

I guess I don't think a reporter would be in a position to give that definite of an answer.   I read it as the reporter retelling the entire exchange from Ferentz's point of view.  Otherwise it would be "my" answer, not "the" answer.

Ferentz asks if they go to a bowl game after losing in the quarterfinals.  Someone else answers "As of right now, no".  Ferentz says that sucks.  That seems like it either has to be someone in the Iowa administration saying they wouldn't accept a bowl bid or someone from the NCAA saying they wouldn't be eligible.  

E4AVJCuVkAkF3RV?format=png&name=small

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, nic said:

Does ND join the ACC for real now?

Not a chance - With 12 playoff spots they actually have less incentive to join.  Guessing we see ND in the playoff frequently with a 12 team playoff. 

Here are their end of season rankings over the last 10 years-

2020 - 5th

2019 - 12th

2018 - 5th

2017 - 11th

2016 - 18th

2015 - 11th

2014 - 15th

2013 - 20th

2012 - 4th

2011 - 22nd 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/notre-dame/polls.html

Making the playoff 60% of the time isn't going to push them to change anything imo.  

Just now, Hilltop said:

Not a chance - With 12 playoff spots they actually have less incentive to join.  Guessing we see ND in the playoff frequently with a 12 team playoff. 

Here are their end of season rankings over the last 10 years-

2020 - 5th

2019 - 12th

2018 - 5th

2017 - 11th

2016 - 18th

2015 - 11th

2014 - 15th

2013 - 20th

2012 - 4th

2011 - 22nd 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/notre-dame/polls.html

Making the playoff 60% of the time isn't going to push them to change anything imo.  

The thing it changes is the possibility of getting a top-four seed - and thus a bye.  I don't know if they will but I wouldn't rule it out, especially after they've been a half member the last couple years.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The thing it changes is the possibility of getting a top-four seed - and thus a bye.  I don't know if they will but I wouldn't rule it out, especially after they've been a half member the last couple years.

I'm not sure I agree that their chances are improved by joining.  If ND goes undefeated, they are a top 4, regardless if they are in a conference.  A one loss team in the ACC probably doesn't get a top 4 seed anytime soon.   

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'm not sure I agree that their chances are improved by joining.  If ND goes undefeated, they are a top 4, regardless if they are in a conference.  A one loss team in the ACC probably doesn't get a top 4 seed anytime soon.   

No, they are not.  You have to be a conference champion to get a Top 4 seed.  At least that's the way it's proposed now.

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

No, they are not.  You have to be a conference champion to get a Top 4 seed.  At least that's the way it's proposed now.

Correct. But Hilltop made me think of another approach. How often would ND win the ACC? Maybe they should join a lesser conference (AAC) that they can win all the time. They could have a loaded out of conference slate to help the strength of schedule. Play USC, a B1G and ACC team every year. The world is their oyster. ;)

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, nic said:

Correct. But Hilltop made me think of another approach. How often would ND win the ACC? Maybe they should join a lesser conference (AAC) that they can win all the time. They could have a loaded out of conference slate to help the strength of schedule. Play USC, a B1G and ACC team every year. The world is their oyster. ;)

I don't see an arrogant school like ND lowering themselves to join a conference like the ACC let alone the AAC. 

• Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow