12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

1 minute ago, jaws said:

I don't see an arrogant school like ND lowering themselves to join a conference like the ACC let alone the AAC. 

Well, They get to play Navy which takes care of a traditional rival. How about the PAC12? This takes care of the USC and Stanford games, and is probably easier than the ACC....or AAC. :P

Just now, nic said:

Well, They get to play Navy which takes care of a traditional rival. How about the PAC12? This takes care of the USC and Stanford games, and is probably easier than the ACC....or AAC. :P

I would guess they rather have the national champion crowed before the bowl season starts using the polls like the good ole' days. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/21/2021 at 6:49 AM, Hilltop said:

Not a chance - With 12 playoff spots they actually have less incentive to join.  Guessing we see ND in the playoff frequently with a 12 team playoff. 

Here are their end of season rankings over the last 10 years-

2020 - 5th

2019 - 12th

2018 - 5th

2017 - 11th

2016 - 18th

2015 - 11th

2014 - 15th

2013 - 20th

2012 - 4th

2011 - 22nd 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/notre-dame/polls.html

Making the playoff 60% of the time isn't going to push them to change anything imo.  

In a few of those we were @15th after the season and won the bowl game.  But I speculate that we would find ourselves ranked #12 if it mattered to ESPN. 

That's half of why I don't like it.  I don't want 9-3 Kellys to get perpetual contract extensions on the basis of playoff appearances.  But the main half is it treats ND like a G5 and forces us to play the week before Bama et al, who are resting.  I don't give me the No Conf Championship Game excuse.  In this model the CCG is basically an exhibition that does not eliminate at top team from the playoff that will be a few weeks later. 

On 6/21/2021 at 11:44 AM, nic said:

Correct. But Hilltop made me think of another approach. How often would ND win the ACC? Maybe they should join a lesser conference (AAC) that they can win all the time. They could have a loaded out of conference slate to help the strength of schedule. Play USC, a B1G and ACC team every year. The world is their oyster. ;)

Join the MAC and say only 4 game schedule,

Form a conference with Temple and UMass.

Are both ideas forbidden by the ND-ACC contract which states that if ND joins a conference it must be the ACC. 

4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Are both ideas forbidden by the ND-ACC contract which states that if ND joins a conference it must be the ACC. 

Really. I did not know that. How long is that contract in place? If you joined the ACC does it affect hockey? I would guess not.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:08 AM, VectorVictor said:

And since 5-12 would play at home sites, in theory, you could have matches we've asked for, like (insert SEC or Florida school here) vs. Nebraska in Lincoln, in December, in the cold and snow.  

I admire your optimism. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 4

16 hours ago, nic said:

Really. I did not know that. How long is that contract in place? If you joined the ACC does it affect hockey? I would guess not.

To my knowledge it does not apply in sports that the ACC does not sponsor. 

I'm indifferent to ND hosting a college home game in December, as I won't attend.  Snow football would be more of a February thing. 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:27 AM, Cdog923 said:

I admire your optimism. 

Someone needs to be. But don't confuse my optimism as a lack of perception about the current reality of our football program. Or men's basketball, for that matter. 

Baseball, Volleyball, Women's Basketball, and Bowling are all tough as rain though. ;)

• Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...

Has Kevin Warren come out from his cave to chime in on this? Haven't heard a word from him, he may be in an epic pick up sticks battle with one of his advisors. 

I know in the last NCAA meeting where this was discussed- where Sankey was politicing- Warren wasn't even there. Im guessing he was too busy with one of his window dressing projects to bother with something so trivial as a meeting about playoffs. I wonder if Warren will send someone in his place this time, a secretary maybe or an intern? I mean at least send in a proxy vote or something. 

This 12 team playoff is a SEC power grab. I'm guessing "the Alliance" will try and block it. The alliance will probably send Warren off on some worthless mission like lining the fields or something and tell him that task is way more important than a playoff meeting- so someone else can lead the charge. Heaven forbid the most valuable conference in the USA be leading an "alliance"  against the SEC. Note that Warren has not been the lead man or even near the front when it comes to this alliance thing. That move seems pretty smart though- like how Biden was hidden in his basement and not allowed to talk- prior to the election. It worked, there is absolutely no shame in copying.  The last time Warren tried to lead with the COVID shutdown- he COMPLETELY s#!t the bed. Even he knows he shouldn't be leading anything of substance. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 1:55 PM, GSG said:

^^^ Good. SEC was just trying to get 4/5 teams in there every year. I'm off the 12 team playoff bandwagon. I think 8 would be plenty

Ya I'd say 8 is the right amount. You avoid bye-weeks and watering things down too far while not screwing-over that 5 or 6 team that could have just as easily been the 4-seed and giving G-5 teams a chance. 

• Plus1 1
On 9/22/2021 at 3:20 PM, Mavric said:

Pretty much.

What is interesting is was the SEC trying to keep the Oklahoma/Texas move under wraps until the playoff was expanded?

Most likely.  the SEC would gain nothing by revealing it and then asking the other conferences for a favor.  #5 to 8 are likely to have 2 or 3 SEC teams.  Heck an SEC team can get a #5 ranking for a 3 point win over Colorado.

On 9/2/2021 at 1:55 PM, GSG said:

^^^ Good. SEC was just trying to get 4/5 teams in there every year. I'm off the 12 team playoff bandwagon. I think 8 would be plenty

Precisely.  8 is more than enough.

At this point, we're down to 4 power conferences.  Sorry Big 12 but UCF isn't Oklahoma.  So we put the Power 4 Champs in automatically.  The other 4 spots can be for a minimum of 1 outside power 4 champs, maybe 2 depending on record/ranking.  And the last spots for at large.  I'd almost say each conference can't have more than 2 in but we all know the stink the SEC would raise.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow