12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

They don't want that just like they dont want 9 conference games. They also know where the money comes from and they schedule for the playoff. It's smart, whether we like it or not. Until there are set rules for number of conference games and scheduling they can take advantage of it.

I agree with everything you are saying.  It is true.  The B1G spends too much time thinking it's the Ivy league.  I think with FB they should drop all conferences and go with 16 team pods, but I hugely digress into something that will never happen.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I agree with everything you are saying.  It is true.  The B1G spends too much time thinking it's the Ivy league.  I think with FB they should drop all conferences and go with 16 team pods, but I hugely digress into something that will never happen.

The idea of where you got/get your education and how "marketable" it makes you is becoming more and more irrelevant each year...and rightfully so. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I am just saying, they will load the at large bids with SEC teams.  The bias is crazy. 

Georgia played Clemson and Bama played Miami in the non-con, not their fault those teams weren't great this year but they schedule tough marquee OOC matchups the same that we do.

Do you really not think Georgia and Bama are in the running for the best 4 teams in the country? Who should be in over either?

15 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

The idea of where you got/get your education and how "marketable" it makes you is becoming more and more irrelevant each year...and rightfully so. 

The point being they don't always make decisions that benefit the student athletes.  Remember when the Ivy leagues shut down fall sports last.  B1G followed right along with them.  I get the education part.  It has definitely risen the the academic reputation of UNL.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Ole Miss doesn't do anything for me (the #8 team probably won't most times) but other than that I like this look pretty well.  

Eight is plenty for me.

Three SEC teams?  NO.  No conference should have that many. If you can’t even make your conference championship game being at least the top two in conference, then you shouldn’t be in the playoffs. Especially when you have a conference like the SEC that is scared to play real competition in the non-con. 

I think I saw today that Georgia hadn’t played anyone ranked higher than 19 until Alabama. If true, then why was everyone just assuming the were so awesome?

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Three SEC teams?  NO.  No conference should have that many. If you can’t even make your conference championship game being at least the top two in conference, then you shouldn’t be in the playoffs. Especially when you have a conference like the SEC that is scared to play real competition in the non-con. 

I think I saw today that Georgia hadn’t played anyone ranked higher than 19 until Alabama. If true, then why was everyone just assuming the were so awesome?

I totally agree with that.  I've long said eight is my preference but I'd put a caveat that there couldn't be more than two from any conference.  With that in place, Oklahoma State would replace Ole Miss at #8.

I was just noting that the #8 team is probably going to be underwhelming every year.  But I like eight rather than 12.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And about the 3 sec team thing.  Tough titty, if there are 8 top sec teams in the top 8 then thats who plays.  If you dont like it then yea the system needs to be changed where there are no top 25 teams you just need to beat out you schedule and be the best in your conference and your in.  

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

And about the 3 sec team thing.  Tough titty, if there are 8 top sec teams in the top 8 then thats who plays.  If you dont like it then yea the system needs to be changed where there are no top 25 teams you just need to beat out you schedule and be the best in your conference and your in.  

No….just no. Third  place in u you our conference and you shouldn’t be in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I totally agree with that.  I've long said eight is my preference but I'd put a caveat that there couldn't be more than two from any conference.  With that in place, Oklahoma State would replace Ole Miss at #8.

I was just noting that the #8 team is probably going to be underwhelming every year.  But I like eight rather than 12.

I like 8 better than 12 also. 

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No….just no. 

I like 8 better than 12 also. 

I think the system is broken, i think the ability to determine how good a team is by wins or losses is not that simple either.  Your weighing in who you lost to by there strength of schedule, buy how they ran there schedule by how you performed during that loss, by how you perform the rest of the year.  There is alot of human interference in that logic.  I think it would be best to just get that portion out of it.

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m wondering why all the love and admiration for Cincy.  Probably only played one team in the top 20 as well.  
The trouble with using polls as a starting point for selecting a champion is their largely based on the eye test of a few influential writers/commentators etc and so on whose opinions get broadcasted across the country and then color the views of the voters.  Few voters could possibly closely watch all the games of all the teams to be fairly thorough.   
If Miss America were chosen by a large panel of judges who only looked at ten or twelve of the fifty and took the word of the other judges on the rest, if may not be a fair and accurate choice. 

The better method it seems to me is a random scheduling of a more manageable number of teams via 4 or 8 or even 16 group winners.  

I get that conference intra-competition is fiscally desired but it introduces bias and human influence over free and fair competition. Most agree the best way to determine whose best is to play head to head on the field.  Can’t be done with Football with well over 100 teams and a practical limit of 15 (20 might be max?) game season.  

Dividing into groups (divisions & leagues) helps somewhat but the scheduling must be fixed by having outside authority - NCAA for ex - by random draw, pick the games & teams for a preset future (20 years or so) so that over time everybody plays everybody, home and away. 
You don’t schedule a national championship, you must earn it.  Group membership rotates.  

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Three SEC teams?  NO.  No conference should have that many. If you can’t even make your conference championship game being at least the top two in conference, then you shouldn’t be in the playoffs.

Trouble with this is it's very easy to be the second best team in your conference and not make the championship game.

ie, Ohio State this year. 

• Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow