12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

On 12/6/2021 at 4:49 AM, Packerhuskerfan said:

I like 8 teams the best. The 4 best teams definitely get in with that format.  I actually don't mind just 4 teams since I think since the ultimate goal should be that the top 2 teams in the country get a shot at the championship and while I see one can debate seeding or if the 3rd or 4th best team got in, I think it does its job.

Initially, I was more in favor of 6 teams as I don't feel half of the "top 12" deserve to be there. Top 2 get byes and it would setup pretty nicely. Although after listening to some podcasts I think 8 makes the most sense, P5 conference champs and 3 at large bids.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, PattyG said:

Initially, I was more in favor of 6 teams as I don't feel half of the "top 12" deserve to be there. Top 2 get byes and it would setup pretty nicely. Although after listening to some podcasts I think 8 makes the most sense, P5 conference champs and 3 at large bids.

I can't wait until they expand it to 84 team.  Play off bound baby!

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

On 12/6/2021 at 4:49 AM, Packerhuskerfan said:

I like 8 teams the best. The 4 best teams definitely get in with that format.  I actually don't mind just 4 teams since I think since the ultimate goal should be that the top 2 teams in the country get a shot at the championship and while I see one can debate seeding or if the 3rd or 4th best team got in, I think it does its job.

I like 8 teams as well but I disagree that 4 will always get the best 2 teams in.

I think there are legitimate arguments fairly often with 4 teams. 

2014- The first year Ohio State, the eventual winner, almost didn't get in the playoff.  They were ranked 5th but ended up jumping the 4th place team to get in.  Baylor and TCU were very good that year.  I would argue better than Oregon and Florida State who did make the playoff.

2015, 2016,  and 2017 were easy years to select the top 4.

2018 left out 12-1 Ohio State.

2019 & 2020 were east years. 

2021 left out 11-1 Notre Dame

I think 6 accomplishes the goal of making sure you for sure include the top 2 teams.  That said, 8 makes for a clean playoff with nobody having a bye advantage.   

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Mavric said:

Man I hate this "protect the bowls" nonsense.  Sure, you want to keep the major bowls for the "Final 4" in a 12-team playoff I can live with that.  Most bowls though are made for TV inventory by ESPN.  If they can't survive in the market, who cares.  In a 12-team playoff, the first two rounds should definitely be at the home stadium of the better seed.  Better environment for fans and reward for a better season. I expect the 3rd party business grift bowl coalition to fight that though.  Once people see how much better a playoff game is on campus, there will be a push to have more games on campus.  ACC and SEC might whine about going up north though.  We will see.

• 4 weeks later...

Give me more playoff games. The more the better. I’m tired of seeing Nick Saban and his group of 50 5 star players and round table of twelve former head coaches (I’m exaggerating…), have multiple weeks to prepare for a game. I want games every week after the season ends until the national championship. Make it grueling. Remove the non-conference games. Save those for the playoff.

I hope tonight’s game is the least watched championship game in the past 20 years. Who cares about this game? It’s a broken record on a broken system. 

• Plus1 1
On 12/10/2021 at 9:06 AM, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Man I hate this "protect the bowls" nonsense.  Sure, you want to keep the major bowls for the "Final 4" in a 12-team playoff I can live with that.  Most bowls though are made for TV inventory by ESPN.  If they can't survive in the market, who cares.  In a 12-team playoff, the first two rounds should definitely be at the home stadium of the better seed.  Better environment for fans and reward for a better season. I expect the 3rd party business grift bowl coalition to fight that though.  Once people see how much better a playoff game is on campus, there will be a push to have more games on campus.  ACC and SEC might whine about going up north though.  We will see.

Completely agree and frankly you can still play the bowl game, just now they are at the higher seeds stadium. It's about advertisement for bowl games, you can have a 1st round game in Lincoln and call it the (insert corporate sponsor) Bowl Game.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow