12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

Ok I can see why.  Keeping it at 4 does level the playing field chances among the P5.  Won't typically get 2 teams from one conference out of a field of 4.  Personally I prefer 8, winners of each 5 P5 conferences, 3 at large bids (1 G5).  Top 10/25 rankings are subjective anyway and shouldn't always matter.  Playoffs should be like a real championship tournament. 

3 hours ago, admo said:

Ok I can see why.  Keeping it at 4 does level the playing field chances among the P5.  Won't typically get 2 teams from one conference out of a field of 4.  Personally I prefer 8, winners of each 5 P5 conferences, 3 at large bids (1 G5).  Top 10/25 rankings are subjective anyway and shouldn't always matter.  Playoffs should be like a real championship tournament. 

If the four best teams are all from one particular conference ... so be it.  Is it "leveling the playing field" to keep it to just four [4] so only 1-2 of those teams can get in from one conference?  The B1G and the other conferences, are they against this because they are inferior in their opinion?

For me, I've always seemed to feel that the B1G seems to think they are the "granddaddy" of them all.  Then, when they play teams in other conferences during bowl games they have usually sucked or underperformed.  It's why I have never really enjoyed the B1G type mentality.  They work from power and strength and the "good ol' boy" mindset based on the "privilege's" of the past instead of meriting the grade from the most recent output.  Looks like we will keep a hood over our head and continue to take it in [we like the $ these days over the product on the field so it probably doesn't matter].  

8 hours ago, BigRedN said:

If the four best teams are all from one particular conference ... so be it.  Is it "leveling the playing field" to keep it to just four [4] so only 1-2 of those teams can get in from one conference?  The B1G and the other conferences, are they against this because they are inferior in their opinion?

For me, I've always seemed to feel that the B1G seems to think they are the "granddaddy" of them all.  Then, when they play teams in other conferences during bowl games they have usually sucked or underperformed.  It's why I have never really enjoyed the B1G type mentality.  They work from power and strength and the "good ol' boy" mindset based on the "privilege's" of the past instead of meriting the grade from the most recent output.  Looks like we will keep a hood over our head and continue to take it in [we like the $ these days over the product on the field so it probably doesn't matter].  

No….Dear God no.  

It’s nothing more than opinion till they play on the field.  You want to ruin college football even more, put more teams in from one conference. 

10 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Inferior?  Usually sucked or under performed?  Hood over our head? 

The Big Ten went 6-3 in bowl games this year.  Not counting 5-7 Rutgers who was a fill in with 9 days notice.

You are imagining other things, too.  The Big Ten has represented pretty well in bowl games.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, admo said:

Inferior?  Usually sucked or under performed?  Hood over our head? 

The Big Ten went 6-3 in bowl games this year.  Not counting 5-7 Rutgers who was a fill in with 9 days notice.

You are imagining other things, too.  The Big Ten has represented pretty well in bowl games.

Admo, we are probably defining our age here.  I've been a Husker fan going back to the 70's.  Yes, the B1G has improved since Nebraska came into the conference.  A team like OSU has taken several steps up.  A team like us has taken 5-7 steps down.  Wisky is better and generally so are various other teams.

So, I'll submit that you are talking about the past 5-10 years.  I'm talking about the bigger picture.  

The thing that hasn't changed in the pride/privilege/mindset of the bigwigs of the B1G.  The same mentality is still there and I think its more of why the B1G opposes expansion.   Could be wrong.  Just stating what I believe/sense.

On a humorous note, Husker fans are usually the first to state that various teams [Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, NW, Wisky] ... and now we find ourselves inferior to these folks, while we still lose to them.  In that same vein, it feels like the B1G speaks of itself as superior ... but then won't vote for the best to be in a championship format.  This is the bigger point I'm stating. 

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

Year by year, college football gets closer and closer to mirroring the NFL.  We might as well have the playoffs do the same thing.  My preference has always been an eight team playoff, but I guess we'll be stuck with four for the time being.  

It's not even about mirroring the NFL. Every single other college sport (or any sort for that matter) has a proper tournament and champion besides FBS football.  People like to rag on the subjectivity of Olympic sports but in my eyes FBS football isn't that different.  We still have a bunch of flawed people in a room using the eyeball test in 2022. We could actually have some set metrics on what you need to do to get in a playoff and leave subjectivity out of it.  Win your P5 conference or division? In. Win your G5 conference? In. Then if you didn't meet the criteria, better luck next year.  Simple.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, runningblind said:

It's not even about mirroring the NFL. Every single other college sport (or any sort for that matter) has a proper tournament and champion besides FBS football.  People like to rag on the subjectivity of Olympic sports but in my eyes FBS football isn't that different.  We still have a bunch of flawed people in a room using the eyeball test in 2022. We could actually have some set metrics on what you need to do to get in a playoff and leave subjectivity out of it.  Win your P5 conference or division? In. Win your G5 conference? In. Then if you didn't meet the criteria, better luck next year.  Simple.

A real championship tournament, that's what I'm talking!  Conference champions are in.  Take 1 or 2 G5 (minimum of 1) and at large bids.  Play the tournament.

It has to be a better method than the top 4 ranked teams (subjectively).  They shuffle those rankings in the last few weeks or after conference championships to ensure they get the box office movie they want to put out.

• Plus1 1
On 2/19/2022 at 12:55 PM, admo said:

Why give special favors to P5conference champs and not the others?  If you aren’t good enough to look like top 8 there is no reason to have a special exemption.  The last thing we need is 3 or 4 loss teams taking up spots that 2 loss teams should have. 

29 minutes ago, Cigarman said:

Why give special favors to P5conference champs and not the others?  If you aren’t good enough to look like top 8 there is no reason to have a special exemption.  The last thing we need is 3 or 4 loss teams taking up spots that 2 loss teams should have. 

This is more of a "phantom" thought.  The problem in college football has not been a 3-4 loss team not getting a chance to win it all.  It continues to be a really good 1 or 2 loss team in a tough conference that losses to another really good team or a smaller school that has put together a nice season [usually a couple in a row, perhaps even undefeated] but who doesn't then get a shot.

Let's get a system that settled who the best is on the field to deserving teams.  I really can't imagine in an 8 or 12 team playoff system that you would ever probably have a 3 loss team on the field.  If that happens then great.  Again, that has never been the problem however.

Unfortunately, our conference wants to stay in the past.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow