12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

I don't like 12.

8 game scenario is the most accurate way to have a bracket.  

1-8

2-7

3-6

4-5

Meaning, if we are up in arms about determining who is 1-4, we can still be that way with 12 team playoffs - because the top 4 selection will receive a bye week.  The other 8 teams are playing "win or go home" games, and we are right back into that top 4 dilemma again.

Aren't we trying to avoid that confusion and just settle it on the field?

Playoffs should be 8 games, kick it off, and no preferential treatment of bye weeks.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, admo said:

I don't like 12.

8 game scenario is the most accurate way to have a bracket.  

1-8

2-7

3-6

4-5

Meaning, if we are up in arms about determining who is 1-4, we can still be that way with 12 team playoffs - because the top 4 selection will receive a bye week.  The other 8 teams are playing "win or go home" games, and we are right back into that top 4 dilemma again.

Aren't we trying to avoid that confusion and just settle it on the field?

Playoffs should be 8 games, kick it off, and no preferential treatment of bye weeks.  

And the higher ranked team hosts the first round.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, jager said:

And the higher ranked team hosts the first round.

Yes, but I'm not for that either.  

It's like, why give the rich celebrity a free steak because they are rich and a celebrity?

Neutral ground bowl games without home crowd cooking would be ideal.  

Like a playoff :)

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, you have 5 P5 conference champions along with 3 wild cards which could include G5 programs.

P5 conference champions should mean more than it has.  Unless KState wins lololol....just kidding.

But, KSU would be in the playoff with 3 losses (awesome!) and a team like Alabama who didn't make it to the SEC CCG is on the ropes hoping to sneak in. 

KSU would be rejoicing! to know they got it done and because of it, they are in.  Bama would be like "well, we didn't get to the CCG, but we deserve it, and nobody wants to play us".

Fun for the whole family.

17 hours ago, Red Five said:

People b!^@h and moan that the “regular season doesn’t matter” with an expanded playoff.

Well giving conference champs a 1st round bye makes the regular season matter.

"Doesn't matter" is hyperbole, yet it will dramatically reduce any drama for most early and midseason games, and only add back some of that drama in some additional later season games.

The conversation changes from "Holy s#!t! Alabama is going to miss the playoff" after losing to Tennessee, to "Eh. I guess Alabama wont get a first round bye".

• 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I figured with the growth of the Big10 and SEC and Big12 the CFP discussion would open back up. New decisions might affect NDs access in the future.

Sankey pointed out that recent changes in conference alignment have impacted the landscape and the criteria for selection into the expanded CFP structure should be re-examined.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-wants-to-re-examine-cfp-format-amid-realignment-circumstances-have-changed/

On 4/28/2023 at 2:54 PM, Mavric said:

This is great - one of the rare times that you can look at the NCAA and say 'you did this exactly right'.

First rounds on campus are going to create some unprecedented electric environments, as well as no longer than 10 days between games.

30 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

This is great - one of the rare times that you can look at the NCAA and say 'you did this exactly right'.

First rounds on campus are going to create some unprecedented electric environments, as well as no longer than 10 days between games.

I would prefer getting rid of the conference championship games (which I know they won't do because of the TV money involved) and having 2 weeks of on-campus games, and not go to "bowl sites" until the semi-finals.  That way, you give the top 4 seeds a double benefit of the bye and home-field advantage in the quarterfinals.

• Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow