12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

Some issues are summed up here:

Name the issue, and at least one conference is dug in on the opposite side of it. Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren believes that automatic berths, originally proposed for the “six highest-ranked conference champions,” should be specifically designated to each Power 5 league. ACC commissioner Jim Phillips is still waging a seemingly one-man fight to limit expansion to eight teams, which publicly he says is an athlete-welfare issue but privately is an attempt to force Notre Dame’s hand to join his conference in full. The Pac-12 released a statement later Monday saying it was “strongly in favor” of CFP expansion. Others are at a disagreement on revenue sharing and other logistical issues.

https://theathletic.com/3062617/2022/01/10/mandel-leave-it-to-college-football-to-bungle-whats-best-for-the-sport-expansion-because-of-turf-wars-and-feelings/

• 1 month later...

On 1/16/2022 at 9:12 AM, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

2 is a bit strict.  I would be fine with 4 though.

I'm sorry, did I miss your :sarcasm emoji?

Seriously??? In what world, outside of SEC hypothesis would anyone think 4 is ok? There exists as of now 5 power conferences so if each of them get 2 each that allows 2 non-power 5 selections.. in the real world at most we'll only ever have 1 of the non-power 5 leaving 1 other at large which most likely and in most years will be Notre Dame. (deserving or not) ... So how can anyone out side of the narcissistic, bloviated SEC ever suggest 4? Very :lamepost indeed.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you get Alabama, Georgia or Clemson at home in January and you’re the one scared of cold weather. 

I don't think they are scared of it but rather being realistic about their chances of being beat by a lesser ranked team because of a leveled playing field due to inclement weather.  If they are hosting, it will likely be an earlier round game against someone other than Alabama, Georgia, etc.  Once the playoff expands, good chance there are some Wisconsin/Penn State type of teams getting in who just might beat them on a cold snowy day.  If I was a fan I would be pissed.  As a passive bystander that doesn't care about them in the least, I can understand the reasoning.       

5 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I'm sorry, did I miss your :sarcasm emoji?

Seriously??? In what world, outside of SEC hypothesis would anyone think 4 is ok? There exists as of now 5 power conferences so if each of them get 2 each that allows 2 non-power 5 selections.. in the real world at most we'll only ever have 1 of the non-power 5 leaving 1 other at large which most likely and in most years will be Notre Dame. (deserving or not) ... So how can anyone out side of the narcissistic, bloviated SEC ever suggest 4? Very :lamepost indeed.

No, because if 4 teams of 12 are truly good enough to be included from any league, they should be part of the playoff.  I don't need the extra artificial gatekeeping.  In a 12-team league I have no problem with P5 champs being included plus the top G5 if it meets a basic Top 15 or 20 threshold.  The other 6 spots should be best available.

• Haha 1
  • Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow