12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

2 minutes ago, admo said:

Should call it what it is... 

The "Bama +11 team Roll Tide Playoffs"

Because 2 losses in a year (Roll Tide) will heighten the discussion.

And I'm finebaum with that.

That's why I personally prefer an 8-team playoff with a cap of two per conference.

But that ship has now sailed.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

That's why I personally prefer an 8-team playoff with a cap of two per conference.

But that ship has now sailed.

I think what you think is probably the right way to go, just for that reason.

I have leaned on 12 since day 1, but let's be honest, it really won't open up the door for Cinderella's like in March madness.  It's just opportunity to ensure the top dawgs get in on a down year.  

2 minutes ago, admo said:

I think what you think is probably the right way to go, just for that reason.

I have leaned on 12 since day 1, but let's be honest, it really won't open up the door for Cinderella's like in March madness.  It's just opportunity to ensure the top dawgs get in on a down year.  

There were never going to be Cinderella's like March Madness because of the discrepancy in the sheer volume of teams.  

But here are all the teams that would have been in a 12-team playoff at least once in the last seven years:

SEC - Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Florida, LSU, Auburn

B1G - Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa

Big XII - Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Oklahoma, TCU

ACC - Pittsburgh, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, North Carolina

Pac-12 - Utah, Washington, USC, Colorado, Stanford

Other - Cincinnati, Notre Dame, UCF

That's a pretty good mix of teams who aren't Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, admo said:

Should call it what it is... 

The "Bama +11 team Roll Tide Playoffs"

Because 2 losses in a year (Roll Tide) will heighten the discussion.

And I'm finebaum with that.

I'm not sure about the bolded.  I have often wondered if Saban isn't a little bit worried.  The way he's been carrying on about Jimbo buying the best class, I wonder if he isn't worried if Alabama will be able to keep up with some other schools?  Between rule changes with the transfer portal and now NIL, I wouldn't be surprised to see Saban retire at the end of this season or next.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

I'm not sure about the bolded.  I have often wondered if Saban isn't a little bit worried.  The way he's been carrying on about Jimbo buying the best class, I wonder if he isn't worried if Alabama will be able to keep up with some other schools?  Between rule changes with the transfer portal and now NIL, I wouldn't be surprised to see Saban retire at the end of this season or next.  

Yeah it was tongue-in-cheek.  As you know, Saban is approaching the end days and the college football landscape will change (including coverage from ESPN/FOX/SEC, etc). 

USC might become the next thing.  Fingers crossed.  The point is the majority of the playoff teams will be coming from B1G, SEC, ACC B12, PAC.  And perhaps Notre Dame if they go 11-1 or 10-2.  Because, 2 losses is okay with a 12 team playoff and it will squeeze the opportunity away from G5 schools that want to dance too.  And to me, that is bulls#!t and not the best concept of a true playoff system.  That is why you have a seen an undefeated Baylor or TCU get purged after a late season loss, or a Cincinnati, as example.  But, a 2 loss Florida or OU will get the privilege of getting in over XXXX.  Just watch, because nothing progresses with college football.  It is an old-school frat boy committee.

The funny thing is that OU and Texas could have had it all by staying put along with USC.  I actually think conferences other than SEC and Big10 will do well.  SEC will get 3 or 4 teams in each year, but I think Big 10 will have a chance at 2 or 3.  That leaves some spots for the other conferences.  I thought all along that there should have been some wording about all conference champions get an automatic playoff spot, but that would be to easy.  This will work out for schools that play in a weaker division like the Big 10 West and have a few losses(3) if they would beat Ohio St, should be a lock to be a playoff team.  I think those conference title games should be automatic playoff contenders.

• 3 weeks later...

I somewhat like 8. The top 4 get home games. Then final 4 in neutral sites. I don’t like teams getting a bye.

Take a team like KState. They win their conference championship today. They then would have to win 4 more games to win it all?  Round of 12, round of 8, final 4, final 2.  Are the conference championships going away? That seems like an insane gauntlet to run.

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I somewhat like 8. The top 4 get home games. Then final 4 in neutral sites. I don’t like teams getting a bye.

Take a team like KState. They win their conference championship today. They then would have to win 4 more games to win it all?  Round of 12, round of 8, final 4, final 2.  Are the conference championships going away? That seems like an insane gauntlet to run.

I think the conference championship games should be eliminated once the 12 team playoff starts. Honestly, the matchups will be meaningless for the playoff, and it will free up a weekend for games to be played on campus sites. 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow