The program has thrived in the past with Nebraska kids- Alex Gordon, Joba Chamberlain etc now with Max Anderson, Kerry, Povich, Bunz. Feekin, Wynne, Shanaman, Everitt, Hagge etc. 

Lots of good local kids looking for places to play and plenty of good Northern States players with not always great local or even national options- Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Colorado, Iowa, Ohio, Illinois, Kansas and Missouri.  Schwellenbach (MI), Roskam, Chick,  Steil, Banjoff, Olsen and Schreiber are from these states. Canadian players have been part of our past- recently revived. 

Why not be the "northern power" in college baseball. Build it with local and 500 mile radius guys, top 10 facility, top 10 crowd support and a great coaching staff. Moos will get them what they need now all we need is a conference/Kevin Warren to not throw sticks into our wheel spokes- which may be the tallest order of all. 

Will be interesting to see our non conference slate for next year.  

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Pay the staff and create world class facilities. I do not know where we rank nationally for baseball facilities but hope we aim for top 10. 

I think NU has very good facilities, but not sure where it ranks across all of college baseball.  I would think NU's facilities are near the top (if not best) in the Big Ten, and are very good among "northern teams".  Hawks Field is a top-notch stadium, and they also have the Alex Gordon Training Complex (baseball-softball indoor facility).  As the football team gets a new practice facility built, this opens up more use of the larger on-campus indoor  facilities by the baseball team.

https://huskers.com/facilities/hawks-field-at-haymarket-park/14

• Plus1 1

Regarding Bolt's salary, I was honestly surprised he was at $300K a year with his first contract.  However, given this is his first head coaching job, that level made more sense to me.  He definitely has earned a raise, and I would aim to put him at the top of the Big Ten, and comparable to other top 25 coaches across the country.

• Plus1 1

Bolts salary is competitive for the BIG. The average salary is 300k- he is at 300K. As this was his first head coaching gig at this level- the salary was about right, even generous. 

However the average compensation for the BIG 12 and ACC is about 700k and the SEC is about 900K. Sure we could get Bolt to the top of the BIG and still not hold onto him. Looking at it from Bolts perspective- the anvil of the BIG conference is hanging around his neck lots of money in places- conferences that value baseball is enticing. 

To keep the upstart teams in the SEC, BIG12 or ACC at bay, that compensation is going to need to be competitive with theirs. Maybe to be safe make it more merit driven- conference titles, regionals, CWS. Once its evident this is consistent- then pop his salary up to top 10 level. 

https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/articles/2020-p5-baseball-compensation/

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Bolts salary is competitive for the BIG. The average salary is 300k- he is at 300K. As this was his first head coaching gig at this level- the salary was about right, even generous. 

However the average compensation for the BIG 12 and ACC is about 700k and the SEC is about 900K. Sure we could get Bolt to the top of the BIG and still not hold onto him. Looking at it from Bolts perspective- the anvil of the BIG conference is hanging around his neck lots of money in places- conferences that value baseball is enticing. 

To keep the upstart teams in the SEC, BIG12 or ACC at bay, that compensation is going to need to be competitive with theirs. Maybe to be safe make it more merit driven- conference titles, regionals, CWS. Once its evident this is consistent- then pop his salary up to top 10 level. 

https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/articles/2020-p5-baseball-compensation/

I like bringing his salary up to $600K, with incentives to make another $100-200K.  That should bring him at/near the top of the conference and in-line with average Big 12 and ACC.  Keep in mind, that he's still early in his head coaching career, and NU should show that we are willing to give him more $ as his career grows.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

18 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I like bringing his salary up to $600K, with incentives to make another $100-200K.  That should bring him at/near the top of the conference and in-line with average Big 12 and ACC.  Keep in mind, that he's still early in his head coaching career, and NU should show that we are willing to give him more $ as his career grows.

They should cut his pay!  I would run through a brick wall to coach the Huskers!

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

@Nebraska55fan  @ColoradoHusk  Who is the top Big Ten coach for pay and what does he make?

Something that is frustrating in this is that Nebraska baseball probably doesn't have the same type of income as an SEC team, even though we have lots of fans at home games, because we have fewer home games, correct?

I think I saw something where Michigan's coach is at the top and around $850K.

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

@Nebraska55fan  @ColoradoHusk  Who is the top Big Ten coach for pay and what does he make?

Something that is frustrating in this is that Nebraska baseball probably doesn't have the same type of income as an SEC team, even though we have lots of fans at home games, because we have fewer home games, correct?

We had much fewer home games this year, due to the COVID scheduling (and NU getting screwed out of hosting a 4-team pod).  In typical years, I think that NU has fewer home games due to playing more early year games/tournaments in Arizona or Texas, but I think that would be at most 10 games per season.  I don't know what NU nets on an average home game, and I don't know how significant the income difference between NU and SEC/ACC schools would be.  When NU baseball was at a peak in the early 2000s, the program was running in the black.  With raising costs for coaches, travel, and recruiting, I think it would be challenging for NU baseball to be profitable.

22 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I think I saw something where Michigan's coach is at the top and around $850K.

That would make sense, given he is coming off a CWS runner-up in 2019. So, if Bolt doubled his salary to $600K, with additional incentives, that seems fair to me.