QB Analytics

5 hours ago, swmohusker said:

I know. Chiefs should have never drafted Mahomes. Didn’t win enough at Tech. 

I mean ... his last year there they lost to Arizona State, Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, among others.  Obviously that's terrible QB play.  How can a team be expected to win when their QB puts up stat lines like 540 yards/5 TD, 367 yards/3 TDs, 734 yards/5 TDs and 361 yards/3 TDs????

• Plus1 3

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... his last year there they lost to Arizona State, Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, among others.  Obviously that's terrible QB play.  How can a team be expected to win when their QB puts up stat lines like 540 yards/5 TD, 367 yards/3 TDs, 734 yards/5 TDs and 361 yards/3 TDs????

Great example that this game is a team sport.....734 yards/5 TDs and still lose.......Damn

And that's what worries me the most.  We are long on potential on O and really short on proven guys.....

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

We had a QB coach and people complained because they didn't think he was very good.  Said we had to have someone differnet.

Then we didn't have a dedicated QB coach.  People complained that we should have one.

Now we have a dedicated QB coach.  People complain that he isn't doing a good job so we shouldn't waste the spot.

Bottom Line:  People will nit-pick anything when they don't like the overall results.  We've tried almost every possible combination.  Nothing has "fixed it".  There isn't one right answer or everyone would be doing that.

100% agree here... I think where our situation is unique is our special teams has been absolutely atrocious and deserves a coach of its own to truly own recruiting, gameplan, skill development, etc.... 

If our STs were even mediocre-average, i agree, seems like reception of the qb coach rides with the success of the qb... but knowing we had a major deficiency on one facet of the game (special teams) and a head coach who knows qbs and has done the job before with some pretty great success (oregon)... I see more value in a ST coach then a qb coach who hasnt necessarily justified his worth

7 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

2AM has the tools to be top 10 in this type of ranking.  If there is not a clear progression this year, or worst, a regression, I think its about time we really reconsider if we need a dedicated assistant for a QB when the results havent been there for 4 years now and Frosty is more than capable of handling that given his past experience.

6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Wouldn't it be 3 years? 

you cut off the bolded part when you quoted him. he is including the upcoming year giving 4 years of results.

6 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Yes, Im sure Tommie Frazier's QB ratings werent fantastic.chuckleshuffle:D His completion percentages were usually under 50%. BUT HE WON< didnt turn over and was great in the clutch. At the end of the day, it isnt 100% on the QB- but the short yardage high completion percentage passes combined with a failure to score a reasonable amount of points AND all the untimely turnovers means our QB play with Martinez and its subsequent "ratings" should be pretty poor. 

So you're saying pass yardage, not finishing out drives, and turnovers are factors people should be interested in.

• Haha 1

I read the couple pages.

To me it’s:

Martinez will be as good as the O-line is. 
That’s it...if we can block and snap he’ll be good. 
It’s all up front boys. Screw the advance stats, if we can block and give him and the RBs some time, sky’s the limit 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, desertshox said:

you cut off the bolded part when you quoted him. he is including the upcoming year giving 4 years of results.

But he said 4 years of not getting results. This will be Adrian's 4th year, and the first year he played great and we had good results. So even if he sucks this year, it would still only be 3 years of not getting results, no?

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

And our QB play is much better than people want to give it credit for.  But they don't like they overall results so they insist it's bad.

Im one that said putting in Luke would do little to improve our offense- may even be worse. We have a weak QB room. Is it due to QB talent, lack of development, poor surrounding talent, sometimes poor play calling, poor field position- yes to all five. 

With a QB leading the nation in QB fumbles, ridiculous backward passes, inability to hit downfield throws, locking in on receivers early, missing wide open receivers, holding onto the ball too long. throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage etc etc etc- thats on the QB. I love his attitude and heart, but he hasnt improved and continues to do what most losing teams do- they beat themselves. 

These "feel good" metrics arent winning us any games. Thats the triple net- WIN games. Statistics are for losers. The only stats that matter are turnovers and wins/losses. 50 years from now do you think anyone will look back at these seasons and say well yes Stuart we werent above .500 but look our passing completion percentage was in the top 10. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
15 hours ago, swmohusker said:

I know. Chiefs should have never drafted Mahomes. Didn’t win enough at Tech. 

I would be willing to bet big money Martinez isnt drafted and that no NFL team is interested in even sniffing around at a QB who fumbles and throws as many Ints as Adrian throws. Or someone who locks onto receivers so early, fails to see open guys and is so inaccurate downfield. 

Im hoping he plays within himself this season, runs more when there is green field early and HOLDS ONTO THE FOOTBALL> Im rooting for him, hes the best we have- but hes got to be a much better player upstairs this season. 

14 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Yes, Im sure Tommie Frazier's QB ratings werent fantastic.chuckleshuffle:D His completion percentages were usually under 50%. BUT HE WON

Tommie Frazier won because his team was other worldly.  His defense was phenomenal, and kept them in games or won him games when we couldn't move the ball because a team was good enough to stop our running game...because lord knows we couldn't throw when we had to...only when we wanted to.

His offensive line was the best in CFB and his running backs were pros.  2AM has been playing with a team that is average, at best.  He isn't the best qb in the world, we all know he has warts...but if you put him with Frazier's defense, O-line and RBs, I'd argue he'd be a 10 win QB every year.  

That 94 team was so good they beat the #16 team in the country by 11 with their 3rd string QB & only 4 completions for 52 yards.  The 94 defense gave up 7 points or less 6 times in 13 games.  They only gave up more than 21 once.  

It's apples and oranges.  Frazier was an amazing talent...all time great.  Put him on this team, in this era...with this offense, we've got the same record...or worse because he couldn't throw.  

Maybe I am mistaken, but I don't even think Frazier accounted for over 2000 yards from scrimmage in a season at Nebraska.  I think he was close.  That's not a knock on him...he didn't need to, they were so freakin' good.

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, I am I said:

Martinez will be as good as the O-line is.

I think our O-line is a bit underrated TBH. They were absolutely atrocious most of the 2020 season, but at this point they're not one of my bigger concerns. Maybe not 'good', but maybe 'solidly average'. I think people tend to fixate on a few things (like Jurgens's snaps, which also weren't nearly as bad last year as they were in 2020) and miss the bigger picture there. I'm more worried about the WRs and RBs.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Im one that said putting in Luke would do little to improve our offense- may even be worse. We have a weak QB room. Is it due to QB talent, lack of development, poor surrounding talent, sometimes poor play calling, poor field position- yes to all five. 

With a QB leading the nation in QB fumbles, ridiculous backward passes, inability to hit downfield throws, locking in on receivers early, missing wide open receivers, holding onto the ball too long. throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage etc etc etc- thats on the QB. I love his attitude and heart, but he hasnt improved and continues to do what most losing teams do- they beat themselves. 

These "feel good" metrics arent winning us any games. Thats the triple net- WIN games. Statistics are for losers. The only stats that matter are turnovers and wins/losses. 50 years from now do you think anyone will look back at these seasons and say well yes Stuart we werent above .500 but look our passing completion percentage was in the top 10. 

Thanks for proving my point.

• Plus1 1