QB Analytics

53 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I am comparing him to contemporary QBs who run spread offenses. He LED THE NATION IN FUMBLES LOST comparing him to those guys.

If you think we are going to be anything other than a 4-5 win team with Adrian being as careless as he is with the ball- fumbling and interceptions- youre sadly mistaken. You cant have the focal point of your team doing what bad teams do- beat themselves. 

Unfortunately our coaches are complicit

What did we do first play of the spring game? Try and throw a lateral double pass? Not what we need to be about to win in the BIG.

961c500a49513a0f2f7b53af5670645b.png

I count 5 QBs on this list that had less carries than Adrian and their teams had a season we would have killed for. You could have also take the 3rd string WR and backup HB from any of OSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Oklahoma and it would have without any doubt drastically transformed our offense that season.

Again no one is saying that AM fumbling less would not help, but that is way way down on the list of issues with this team. Outside of the Minnesota game this year I cant think of a single other game where a big part of why we lost was his fumbles. 

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

961c500a49513a0f2f7b53af5670645b.png

I count 5 QBs on this list that had less carries than Adrian and their teams had a season we would have killed for. You could have also take the 3rd string WR and backup HB from any of OSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Oklahoma and it would have without any doubt drastically transformed our offense that season.

Again no one is saying that AM fumbling less would not help, but that is way way down on the list of issues with this team. Outside of the Minnesota game this year I cant think of a single other game where a big part of why we lost was his fumbles. 

It’s a good thing Rutgers sucks

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

It’s a good thing Rutgers sucks

And see there is some good context for this. He had 3 fumbles in the first half of that game because he wore sleeves. That's almost half of the total he had for the season. Context changes a lot of this conversation if  for example we know how many fumbles were him being careless and how many are blindside free rushers. How many were final plays of the game or 4th downs where you have to risk it. I also saw that some of his fumbles were bad snaps. Should we count those against him?

I think the whole point of the advanced stats is to try and bake context into the stats as much as we can. It can be combined with the eye test to try and eliminate some predetermined bias and quantify things that are too much to process just by watching.  

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

And see there is some good context for this. He had 3 fumbles in the first half of that game because he wore sleeves. That's almost half of the total he had for the season. Context changes a lot of this conversation if  for example we know how many fumbles were him being careless and how many are blindside free rushers. How many were final plays of the game or 4th downs where you have to risk it. I also saw that some of his fumbles were bad snaps. Should we count those against him?

I think the whole point of the advanced stats is to try and bake context into the stats as much as we can. It can be combined with the eye test to try and eliminate some predetermined bias and quantify things that are too much to process just by watching.  

How many were lateral throws- something that is supposed to be a "long handoff" a staple of this offense and practiced thousands of times? Yet he still insists on throwing it- even when it is a lateral and a big risk of losing the ball. I like his attitude and work ethic- Im just sick of his carelessness with the ball and backyard playground junk. Im also very disappointed in him passing up lots of green- and certain first downs- holding onto the ball for an incompletion, sack or short gain. That indecisiveness has gotten worse the last 2 seasons. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

How many were lateral throws- something that is supposed to be a "long handoff" a staple of this offense and practiced thousands of times? Yet he still insists on throwing it- even when it is a lateral and a big risk of losing the ball. I like his attitude and work ethic- Im just sick of his carelessness with the ball and backyard playground junk. Im also very disappointed in him passing up lots of green- and certain first downs- holding onto the ball for an incompletion, sack or short gain. That indecisiveness has gotten worse the last 2 seasons. 

Here is an article concerning AM and his TO woes and where he ranks.  It’s not good.  We are going to need MUCH better ball security from him this season to get to 6 wins IMHO.  

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-martinez-gets-rough-review-from-analyst-and-nus-fisher-promises-nothing/article_b1e9415d-10b2-5116-9645-26169cae2531.amp.html

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Here is an article concerning AM and his TO woes and where he ranks.  It’s not good.  We are going to need MUCH better ball security from him this season to get to 6 wins IMHO.  

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-martinez-gets-rough-review-from-analyst-and-nus-fisher-promises-nothing/article_b1e9415d-10b2-5116-9645-26169cae2531.amp.html

Sipple, Sterling, you and me are all misinformed haters it seems :cheers

• Plus1 1

I think we should all be about done engaging with people who want to insinuate Martinez is bad. There are some very fair criticisms to his game and he certainly needs to cut back on the turnovers, but he is a good player who is far from the problem with the offense and has shown he can operate at a high level when he has talent around him. I'm hopeful that he's going to get that this year.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2