QB Analytics

Here's another good look at quarterbacks and offenses. One chart sums up a lot for me...

Screen_Shot_2021_01_21_at_4.08.10_PM.png

Have I said enough times yet that the problem with the offense isn't Martinez, it's the guys around him?

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2021/1/22/22243300/advanced-stats-season-review-part-2-offense-epa-cpoe-jeff-sims-success-efficiency

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

29 minutes ago, Toe said:

Here's another good look at quarterbacks and offenses. One chart sums up a lot for me...

Screen_Shot_2021_01_21_at_4.08.10_PM.png

Have I said enough times yet that the problem with the offense isn't Martinez, it's the guys around him?

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2021/1/22/22243300/advanced-stats-season-review-part-2-offense-epa-cpoe-jeff-sims-success-efficiency

Noah Vedral leaving Nebraska for Rutgers and ending up with a better offensive supporting cast is hilarious.

• Plus1 5

Advanced QB metrics tend to go over my head.  All I know is I'd rather have 2018 Adrian compared to the last 2 iterations. I feel like his high completion % probably elevates him in these types of stat rankings.  I'd rather have a guy complete 5% less passes if it means he's actually throwing for more yards as we missed way too many big plays that were to be had last year.

Talent around always plays a factor as well but I want more aggression and consistency from AM this year.  Too many stalled drives before even crossing mid field and turn more of the horizontal passes into vertical ones.  Frosty shares some blame too.  

2AM has the tools to be top 10 in this type of ranking.  If there is not a clear progression this year, or worst, a regression, I think its about time we really reconsider if we need a dedicated assistant for a QB when the results havent been there for 4 years now and Frosty is more than capable of handling that given his past experience.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Only stat that matters is wins/losses 

If a coach only cares about that, they're going to be a s#!t coach because they won't understand the factors that go into whether they are winning or losing. And it is perfectly fine and normal for fans to be wondering about the same things.

• Plus1 8

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Advanced QB metrics tend to go over my head.  All I know is I'd rather have 2018 Adrian compared to the last 2 iterations. I feel like his high completion % probably elevates him in these types of stat rankings.  I'd rather have a guy complete 5% less passes if it means he's actually throwing for more yards as we missed way too many big plays that were to be had last year.

Talent around always plays a factor as well but I want more aggression and consistency from AM this year.  Too many stalled drives before even crossing mid field and turn more of the horizontal passes into vertical ones.  Frosty shares some blame too.  

2AM has the tools to be top 10 in this type of ranking.  If there is not a clear progression this year, or worst, a regression, I think its about time we really reconsider if we need a dedicated assistant for a QB when the results havent been there for 4 years now and Frosty is more than capable of handling that given his past experience.

I agree with your post and he really just needs guys who can make the game easier for him, whether that is Rb's who can be consistent, and WR's to go up and get theirs. We point to 2018 and the difference is the proven skill talent. He has better players overall now, but they have to step up. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

I know. Chiefs should have never drafted Mahomes. Didn’t win enough at Tech. 

Yes, Im sure Tommie Frazier's QB ratings werent fantastic.chuckleshuffle:D His completion percentages were usually under 50%. BUT HE WON< didnt turn over and was great in the clutch. At the end of the day, it isnt 100% on the QB- but the short yardage high completion percentage passes combined with a failure to score a reasonable amount of points AND all the untimely turnovers means our QB play with Martinez and its subsequent "ratings" should be pretty poor. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

2AM has the tools to be top 10 in this type of ranking.  If there is not a clear progression this year, or worst, a regression, I think its about time we really reconsider if we need a dedicated assistant for a QB when the results havent been there for 4 years now and Frosty is more than capable of handling that given his past experience.

We had a QB coach and people complained because they didn't think he was very good.  Said we had to have someone differnet.

Then we didn't have a dedicated QB coach.  People complained that we should have one.

Now we have a dedicated QB coach.  People complain that he isn't doing a good job so we shouldn't waste the spot.

Bottom Line:  People will nit-pick anything when they don't like the overall results.  We've tried almost every possible combination.  Nothing has "fixed it".  There isn't one right answer or everyone would be doing that.

• Plus1 6