DB Tyreke Johnson Transerring from Ohio State to Nebraska

3 hours ago, lo country said:

Dude plays a lot more physical than his weight would suggest.  Looks aggressive and not afraid to come in a lay the wood.  

Interesting, OSU fans chatter is that he was timid and not physical in his time at OSU.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

At the very least it puts a little piece of news out there that a kid left a national championship contender to play for the Huskers.

You know how we're always saying in this thread that transfers mostly end up at lower-tier schools? Yeah...

• Haha 2
44 minutes ago, theknife said:

The consensus on from OSU fans on R/CFB is he is a super talented kid who is a better safety than corner, but he was dead set on playing corner and couldn’t make it work at OSU.

Yeah, a lot of people saying he heard NFL corners make more than safeties, so he's insistent on trying to make corner work. Supposedly when he was being recruited, a lot of scouts said he was way overrated. And apparently (per comments) in high school, his coaches mostly just turned him loose and let him excel on raw athleticism, so he came in with tons of potential but not much actual skill.

So yeah, it sounds like he'd be better off in a safety spot where he can focus on being a ball hawk. Probably still worth taking either way, but if he's still insisting on playing corner, I'd say temper your expectations and forget that 5* bit.

12 minutes ago, Toe said:

Probably still worth taking either way, but if he's still insisting on playing corner, I'd say temper your expectations and forget that 5* bit.

Honestly does anyone have legit high expectations for transfers? Seems like a very small percentage go to a new school and really produce.  I suspect this kid would come in and still be buried on the depth chart here as well.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Honestly does anyone have legit high expectations for transfers? Seems like a very small percentage go to a new school and really produce.  I suspect this kid would come in and still be buried on the depth chart here as well.

Our offense is relying a bunch of transfers to be contributing this year on the 2 deep(Manning, Martin, Stepp, Toure, Nouili, Ezra Miller, Culp,etc). I think it’s the new normal in CFB. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Yeah, a lot of people saying he heard NFL corners make more than safeties, so he's insistent on trying to make corner work. Supposedly when he was being recruited, a lot of scouts said he was way overrated. And apparently (per comments) in high school, his coaches mostly just turned him loose and let him excel on raw athleticism, so he came in with tons of potential but not much actual skill.

Kinda what I saw in the video too. Looks like he is athletic enough for corner, and he's super aggressive, but his technique was sloppy and would draw a lot of flags. Idk if it was just because it was thump em only in the allstar video, but his tackling style looked more like a safety where he lays the wood and doesn't wrap up (a huge lability at corner).

Maybe he got some coaching up at tOSU though. Either way he's a good talent to have on the roster, especially if we can develop him some more.

5 hours ago, theknife said:

Our offense is relying a bunch of transfers to be contributing this year on the 2 deep(Manning, Martin, Stepp, Toure, Nouili, Ezra Miller, Culp,etc). I think it’s the new normal in CFB. 

I hear you there but only Culp on that list has actually produced for us so far.  Maybe you're right and it's the new normal but if all these guys didn't produce at other schools before I simply don't think it's a slam dunk they will here either.  Toure is an exception for production, but it was down a level.  Seems more likely he can produce here also but the Big Ten is a different animal than FCS.