QB Dylan Raiola

HuskerBoard Predictor  

91 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Raiola commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

After reading this thread I am not so sure. Probably won’t be able to play here and expectations will be too high. He needs to go somewhere smaller like Georgia/or USC where he can play and they will let him mature lol!

Like Icarus, flying too close to the sun. He needs a smaller stage to stay focused. It worked for Adrian Martinez. I think you're on to something.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the whole four-game redshirt rule has been dumb.  It just creates a mess on managing rosters and redshirting guys.  I think coaches should have redshirt decisions on guys before the season starts and just go with it.  Either a guy is good enough to play and contribute or he's not.

For the most part I agree.  Where I can see the usefulness of this is when a player plans to redshirt, then it gets down to the last few games and, because of injuries, he's thrown into action.  So, he wasted his redshirt for maybe one game.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

For the most part I agree.  Where I can see the usefulness of this is when a player plans to redshirt, then it gets down to the last few games and, because of injuries, he's thrown into action.  So, he wasted his redshirt for maybe one game.

He is unlikely to play 4 full years of college football at his initial destination anyway, let alone redshirt one and then play 4 more. As a highly touted QB he will either be good enough to leave after 3 years, or more than likely will transfer if he's not playing at that level. You play him as soon as they're the best options. For top end QBs the redshirt is just a tool to preserve a year if you know you'll transfer.

I don't agree.  We expect our QBs to play well and win a lot of games for us.  That's the same as USC and Georgia.

The bar is just a lot lower here. He'd be following Caleb Williams at USC, and (not directly) Stetson Bennett at Georgia. He could be very good and still not live up to those expectations - particularly with Georgia, if the defense ever takes a step back even someone playing as well as Bennett will be perceived as worse than him.

Again I seriously doubt the fanbase's expectations of him factor into his decision - just pointing out our fanbase will absolutely be more forgiving of some early mistakes than Georgia/USC.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

He is unlikely to play 4 full years of college football at his initial destination anyway, let alone redshirt one and then play 4 more. As a highly touted QB he will either be good enough to leave after 3 years, or more than likely will transfer if he's not playing at that level. You play him as soon as they're the best options. For top end QBs the redshirt is just a tool to preserve a year if you know you'll transfer.

I'm talking about redshirts in general.  Not specifically about Raiola.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The bar is just a lot lower here. He'd be following Caleb Williams at USC, and (not directly) Stetson Bennett at Georgia. He could be very good and still not live up to those expectations - particularly with Georgia, if the defense ever takes a step back even someone playing as well as Bennett will be perceived as worse than him.

Fan expectations and if we have an easier path to playing time are two different things.  Heck yes, those teams have more talent in their QB room than we do.  But, if he's the starting QB here, we expect him to win games for us, just like those schools.  Husker fans expect the program to compete for and win championships.  We expect the QB to play well enough to do that.

I'm talking about redshirts in general.  Not specifically about Raiola.

Fan expectations and if we have an easier path to playing time are two different things.  Heck yes, those teams have more talent in their QB room than we do.  But, if he's the starting QB here, we expect him to win games for us, just like those schools.  Husker fans expect the program to compete for and win championships.  We expect the QB to play well enough to do that.

My bad about the redshirts, I was skimming. I like the 4 game rule, injuries have always had the potential to ruin redshirt plans and at least now coaches can try and have some wiggle room. Requires some strategy (early games are easier competition, but players have a better understanding late in the year, gotta have enough players available for injuries) and the downside is something that could always happen - a year of eligibility burned without a ton of experience gained.

He's going to be under the microscope with intense pressure anywhere, and sure our fans want the team to be winning championships. But we can't pretend the expectations are in the same ballpark right now. Depending a bit on what happens this year, if he comes in and wins 9 games here we're anointing him the next Heisman winner and preparing to put him on our Mt. Rushmore. We did that with Martinez when he won 4 games. He wins 9 games at Georgia they're hoping he transfers out.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He's going to be under the microscope with intense pressure anywhere, and sure our fans want the team to be winning championships. But we can't pretend the expectations are in the same ballpark right now. Depending a bit on what happens this year, if he comes in and wins 9 games here we're anointing him the next Heisman winner and preparing to put him on our Mt. Rushmore. We did that with Martinez when he won 4 games. He wins 9 games at Georgia they're hoping he transfers out.

I simply disagree.  Another part of this is the intense microscope he is under here compared to either of those schools.  Yes, all three have fans that watch intensely during the season.  Here though, it's year round and no matter where he goes.  In Lincoln, in May, he would still have fans and media wanting his time and paying attention. In Los Angles, very few people would care.  That adds another level of stress on the athlete when they come here.

We disagree.  That's fine.  Hope he comes here.

On 2/11/2023 at 1:48 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

Lol. We don't need and shouldn't want him to be A Mart 2.0. Let him redshirt, mature and play when he's ready to own the role. Rushing true frosh qbs into playing is much more likely to create yips than confidence. 

This prolly doesn't need to be said but there is a stark difference between the caliber of player Raiola is vs. the caliber of player 2AM was coming out of high school.  One was a top 200 recruit the other is the clear #1 recruit in his entire class.  

Sure, rushing qbs to play typically isn't the best route if there are experienced, more mature options in the qb room.  That doesn't apply to the #1 qb in the country, barring injury, theres no way in hell hes not the starter day 1 if he commits here.  

On 2/12/2023 at 4:26 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree with you. That’s why I say that it wouldn’t be a slam dunk that Raiola would be the starter as a freshman. But, I don’t agree with those who say “redshirt Raiola”. Why redshirt him if he’s going to be in Lincoln 3-4 years max?

Copy that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Dylan Raiola
  • Mavric pinned this topic