QB Dylan Raiola

HuskerBoard Predictor  

91 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Raiola commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I can agree to disagree. Admittedly, I don't know what percentage is 3.5M against the NIL budget. That number doesn't seem outrageous compared to other numbers been rumored for top QB recruits. 

Almost all of which are grossly exaggerated.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

If only we had an extra $7.5M laying around that could be used here instead of where it was used...

Theoretically some booster(s) could make that $7.5M available for NIL but the University couldn’t use buyout money towards NIL even if they wanted to. If that’s the last $7.5M they can possibly come up with, our NIL is in a world of hurt anyway.

• Plus1 1

I don't know that I buy NIL as the key deciding factor as the Raiolas aren't hurting for money and USC would still be in the picture if NIL money was that big of a factor. More than likely, should Dylan decide on Georgia, it's because of their recent success and track record for getting QBs drafted and the talent that he would be surrounded with in Athens. 

However, as previously mentioned, he's attended at least three different high schools already so transferring and changing programs has been a common occurrence for his family over several years. Whatever he decides, I hope he and his family are happy with the decision and he has success.

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Theoretically some booster(s) could make that $7.5M available for NIL but the University couldn’t use buyout money towards NIL even if they wanted to. If that’s the last $7.5M they can possibly come up with, our NIL is in a world of hurt anyway.

That's exactly where buyout money (almost) always comes from.

I didn't say it had to be the last $7.5M

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's exactly where buyout money (almost) always comes from.

I didn't say it had to be the last $7.5M

My point was, yes that was a needless waste of $7.5M but there should be plenty more if/when it’s needed and warranted. If we can’t match UGA it’s either because we can’t (so the last 7.5) or we don’t want to. I don’t think it’s because Frost got paid that we can’t compete with UGA.

4 hours ago, Husker816 said:

Not really.

I don't know how this is so hard for this particular board to understand how far Nebraska has fallen as a football program to think they even are in the same galaxy as UGA is laughable 

Ya, I’m not even talking about Nebraska with this, so there is that.   My post makes USC the logical destination in terms of development and historical winning program.  He would come to Nebraska for the other two reasons.  Play right away and it being a family favorite program.  Georgia is a great program that probably presents playing time opportunity but has shown little high level NFL development and no family ties.   

You seem to be the only one taking about NU and UGA in comparison terms. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

Paraphrashing, but Schaef basically said that there was a point in February where Raiola to Nebraska was very much in the cards, but Georgia and USC came through with NIL deals that Nebraska couldn't match.

16 hours ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Will suck if true that NU can't or won't match what UGA is offering. 

16 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

$3.5 million for someone that hasn’t taken a snap?  I think it’ll get there eventually for NU, but at this point it’s not worth it.  Use other team/program’s money to navigate the NIL s show.

Word is is that it's quite a bit higher of a number than that. 

• Haha 2
25 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I’m sure it is, but my point remains the same.

It kind of reminds me of the whole “Calibraska” thing.  Or whatever it was called when we got Keyshawn’s kid and several others. We know how that worked out.  I’m not comparing Keyshawns kid to Riola.  Just the fanfare.

If the money is there the kid should take it.  It’s Merica.  I just don’t think it’s in NUs best interest to be in this fight.

Paraphrashing, but Schaef basically said that there was a point in February where Raiola to Nebraska was very much in the cards, but Georgia and USC came through with NIL deals that Nebraska couldn't match.

Edit:  I also believe there is a difference in "Couldn't" and "Wouldn't".  I have no idea other than my speculation but how something is phrased changes the whole context of the comment.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m sure it is, but my point remains the same.

It kind of reminds me of the whole “Calibraska” thing.  Or whatever it was called when we got Keyshawn’s kid and several others. We know how that worked out.  I’m not comparing Keyshawns kid to Riola.  Just the fanfare.

If the money is there the kid should take it.  It’s Merica.  I just don’t think it’s in NUs best interest to be in this fight.

I mean, it's the name of the game now. It's got very little difference to a salary cap in pro sports: you're going to overspend on players that don't match their contractual worth, and underspend on players that do. That's just how the market is going to work until NIL gets more clearly defined. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

12 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I mean, it's the name of the game now. It's got very little difference to a salary cap in pro sports: you're going to overspend on players that don't match their contractual worth, and underspend on players that do. That's just how the market is going to work until NIL gets more clearly defined. 

Again.......

Leaders of an organization need to weigh the risk with the reward.  Many are looking at one, possibly two (1. Cost & 2. Stars) factors.

NIL is still a risk.  The debacle in Florida.   Questions around Arch already (for the record I think is premature).  We are a 4-8 team that can't make bowl games.  I think getting on the auction block for anything that isn't a sure thing is not the direction to go at this point.  We are a few years away from being in this and I think that's fine.  Build up the war chest and let other navigate while we watch closely.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

What kind of $$$ are we talking? Any rumor on how much we offered?

34 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Again.......

Leaders of an organization need to weigh the risk with the reward.  Many are looking at one, possibly two (1. Cost & 2. Stars) factors.

NIL is still a risk.  The debacle in Florida.   Questions around Arch already (for the record I think is premature).  We are a 4-8 team that can't make bowl games.  I think getting on the auction block for anything that isn't a sure thing is not the direction to go at this point.  We are a few years away from being in this and I think that's fine.  Build up the war chest and let other navigate while we watch closely.

We aren't that far apart in our thinking, but here's the question, then: at what point do you spend money? If not for the #1 overall QB in the class, one with incredibly close familial ties to the program, then for who? 

• Plus1 3
37 minutes ago, Caveman said:

What kind of $$$ are we talking? Any rumor on how much we offered?

Schaef indicated that Tennessee's QB recruit this year (#2 in the class behind Arch Manning) was making in the neighborhood of $8 million, so I'm assuming that's the ballpark that we're playing in. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

$3.5 million for someone that hasn’t taken a snap?  I think it’ll get there eventually for NU, but at this point it’s not worth it.  Use other team/program’s money to navigate the NIL s show.

Honestly?  If that's the number, I would prefer not giving that to one QB that may or may not pan out as projected and, instead, give it to 3-4 O linemen to come in and have a dominating line.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Dylan Raiola
  • Mavric pinned this topic