QB Dylan Raiola

HuskerBoard Predictor  

91 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Raiola commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

How do they structure these deals?  because nobody in their right mind would pony up 8 mil for a kid who could decide to transfer after a year.  Is it prorated like its $1 mil to sign and then X amount of $ if you play and X amount of money if you play well?  if you transfer nothing is due to the player? 

Deals that have been discussed before were heavily weighted on certain criteria.  For instance, maybe they don't get much NIL unless they are the starting QB....etc.

12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

How do they structure these deals?  because nobody in their right mind would pony up 8 mil for a kid who could decide to transfer after a year.  Is it prorated like its $1 mil to sign and then X amount of $ if you play and X amount of money if you play well?  if you transfer nothing is due to the player? 

I would think there are some of those things.  I also think those numbers that are being thrown out are for their entire (college) career, even though that isn't usually mentioned so people tend to think it's per year.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I would think there are some of those things.  I also think those numbers that are being thrown out are for their entire (college) career, even though that isn't usually mentioned so people tend to think it's per year.

It's very similar to people reacting to mammoth NFL/NBA/MLB contracts.

• TBH 2

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

We aren't that far apart in our thinking, but here's the question, then: at what point do you spend money? If not for the #1 overall QB in the class, one with incredibly close familial ties to the program, then for who? 

I think it becomes feasible once the program has stabilized or is moving in a positive direction.  I know there is no such this a "sure thing" and there never will be, but I think the downside on this is far worse than the upside.  

As far as the family thing.  Why does it have to mean we pay more?  Couldn't it be just as easy that he'd take less because of the family ties? 

There are serious risks in these huge $ figures.  What's the contract?  It's certainly not with the University.  And they've never played.  To me the never played is even worse than NCAA to NFL rookie.

I wonder who the first NIL Ryan Leaf is going to be.

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

Almost all of which are grossly exaggerated.

According to OpenDorse, Tennessee spent somewhere around $12 million in NIL deals last year. This apparently is the highest known of any program, although that's difficult to verify.

My guess would be that $3.5 million would be extremely high for any player. Furthermore, spending what is presumably a high amount for any player - even a QB - probably isn't a good idea for Nebraska. Of all the issues with Nebraska Football, QB play is pretty low on the list. 

I hope Raiola plays well at Georgia and that he gets himself into the NFL!

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
19 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think it becomes feasible once the program has stabilized or is moving in a positive direction.  I know there is no such this a "sure thing" and there never will be, but I think the downside on this is far worse than the upside.  

As far as the family thing.  Why does it have to mean we pay more?  Couldn't it be just as easy that he'd take less because of the family ties? 

There are serious risks in these huge $ figures.  What's the contract?  It's certainly not with the University.  And they've never played.  To me the never played is even worse than NCAA to NFL rookie.

Quinn Ewers

39 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

How does the part in bold happen without good players, and the market value that they will demand?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

How does the part in bold happen without good players, and the market value that they will demand?

You don't think you can improve this program without a the top QB recruit in the country?  One Player?

Is there other evidence we are not at least attracting top level talent?  Are we losing top talent/targets to NIL?

I'm sure @Mavric is the only one that knows this.  I haven't heard a lot about it.  I happen to think we are going to find out this year that the current team does have talent.  It may not be playoff talent, but it's certainly better than "no bowl" talent.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Schaef indicated that Tennessee's QB recruit this year (#2 in the class behind Arch Manning) was making in the neighborhood of $8 million, so I'm assuming that's the ballpark that we're playing in. 

Thanks.  Must be some stipulations in place, and he must be talking from a 3-4 year total sum of what he could get.  Not annually.  Otherwise that is some serious phony bulls#!t being spread around.  

Regardless, it feels like 3rd or 4th round NFL money tossed around... for professional athletes with solid college experience.

I feel like the ceiling should be set for HS recruits at $4 mil for 4 years.  But that won't happen..... 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Of all the issues with Nebraska Football, QB play is pretty low on the list. 

This isn’t even close to being true.   The absolute most important position in football is NEVER low on the list.  It’s why the good/great programs are always looking for the next highly ranked WB no matter what they have.   It’s where Frost went wrong after getting AM.  He barely tried to upgrade. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You don't think you can improve this program without a the top QB recruit in the country?  One Player?

Is there other evidence we are not at least attracting top level talent?  Are we losing top talent/targets to NIL?

I'm sure @Mavric is the only one that knows this.  I haven't heard a lot about it.  I happen to think we are going to find out this year that the current team does have talent.  It may not be playoff talent, but it's certainly better than "no bowl" talent.

Do I think Dylan Raiola would improve the team? Absolutely. Do I think we can find 3-4 offensive linement that can match his potential output and impact on the program? Possibly.  

Look at it this way: Nebraska can attract 3 to 4 star linemen virtually every year; we've signed 10 in the last four years alone. Nebraska has not been this close to signing the #1 overall QB in 30 years; you have to shoot your shot and give everything you can when you have the opportunity to.  

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This isn’t even close to being true.   The absolute most important position in football is NEVER low on the list.  It’s why the good/great programs are always looking for the next highly ranked WB no matter what they have.   It’s where Frost went wrong after getting AM.  He barely tried to upgrade. 

Yes, that wingback is in extremely high demand.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Dylan Raiola
  • Mavric pinned this topic