QB Dylan Raiola

HuskerBoard Predictor  

91 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Raiola commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

With the way things are now, I can't really get excited about a 2024 recruit. Too much can happen between now and when he would actually see the field in Columbus. 

I'm old enough to remember the last time the #1 overall recruit/QB in a class committed to OSU. It almost feels like it was yesterday. 

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Probably the best chance for Nebraska to land the number 1 recruit ever, and now it seems it wasn't really close at all... darn it. That said it doesn't seem like the Raiola family has loyalty to any particular school. Just stings with a legacy recruit.

Kid needs to go to a place where he has the best chance to live up to his own legacy. If that isn’t at his dad’s old school and his uncles 4 month employer, so be it. 

Doesn't change a thing at all.  We'll still recruit the kid and honestly, given the inside connection, might put us in a better position than a lot of other progrums also wanting this kid.  

2 years is a long time, there's already been a bit of a drop off with ryan day at OSU compared to urban being there and wouldnt be shocked if this point 2 years from now OSU is more of a consistent top 25 progrum compared to the title contender theyve been the past 7-8 years

Having said all that, i always thought our chances of signing this kid were pretty much in the gutter given that's been the level of play we've trotted out on the field.  

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Doesn't change a thing at all.  We'll still recruit the kid and honestly, given the inside connection, might put us in a better position than a lot of other progrums also wanting this kid.  

2 years is a long time, there's already been a bit of a drop off with ryan day at OSU compared to urban being there and wouldnt be shocked if this point 2 years from now OSU is more of a consistent top 25 progrum compared to the title contender theyve been the past 7-8 years

Having said all that, i always thought our chances of signing this kid were pretty much in the gutter given that's been the level of play we've trotted out on the field.  

Would be interested to see you expand on this because I see the opposite mostly because I believe Day is ahead of Urbs in terms of where the college game is going.  My first blush was to agree with you whole heartedly but then I noticed that for all of Urb's success, he 'only' won a single national title.  I realize Day hasn't delivered (yet) but he's gotten them to one CFP title game and it took some squirrely calls against Clemson to deny him a 2nd shot.  Now, I fully get the point that Day took over and inherited Meyer's players so there's something to be said there.  That being said, the way that Ohio State now attacks down the field with deep shots is something Meyer never really did.  

Anywho, it's a fun discussion and your point was thought provoking.  No malice on my end at all.

12 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Would be interested to see you expand on this because I see the opposite mostly because I believe Day is ahead of Urbs in terms of where the college game is going.  My first blush was to agree with you whole heartedly but then I noticed that for all of Urb's success, he 'only' won a single national title.  I realize Day hasn't delivered (yet) but he's gotten them to one CFP title game and it took some squirrely calls against Clemson to deny him a 2nd shot.  Now, I fully get the point that Day took over and inherited Meyer's players so there's something to be said there.  That being said, the way that Ohio State now attacks down the field with deep shots is something Meyer never really did.  

Anywho, it's a fun discussion and your point was thought provoking.  No malice on my end at all.

Isn't it funny we have to throw a disclaimer like this so we don't bite one another heads off?  I miss the simpler times of a message board that didn't entail such aggressiveness at all times lol

I haven't spent the time to dig into stats but there just doesn't seem to be the level of invincibility some of those urban squads had.  Perhaps its a bit of recency bias but I was never really impressed with that michigan team last year and the way they beat ohio state I just couldn't envision it going down that way if Urban was still in charge.  Will be interesting to see if Day can continue to compete at this level now that its all his players... Offensively he seems to be right in line, I'm curious tho if he has the cache to go anywhere in the country to get that stud pass rusher that urban always seemed to net. 

Don't get me wrong, Day def has the buckeyes as title contenders until proven otherwise... but outside of Saban, I feel like things can change rather quickly for the teams up top and outside of him urban was #2 in consistency and longevity (perhaps 2a along with Dabo but I'd still slot urban slightly above Dabo). 

34 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Isn't it funny we have to throw a disclaimer like this so we don't bite one another heads off?  I miss the simpler times of a message board that didn't entail such aggressiveness at all times lol

I haven't spent the time to dig into stats but there just doesn't seem to be the level of invincibility some of those urban squads had.  Perhaps its a bit of recency bias but I was never really impressed with that michigan team last year and the way they beat ohio state I just couldn't envision it going down that way if Urban was still in charge.  Will be interesting to see if Day can continue to compete at this level now that its all his players... Offensively he seems to be right in line, I'm curious tho if he has the cache to go anywhere in the country to get that stud pass rusher that urban always seemed to net. 

Don't get me wrong, Day def has the buckeyes as title contenders until proven otherwise... but outside of Saban, I feel like things can change rather quickly for the teams up top and outside of him urban was #2 in consistency and longevity (perhaps 2a along with Dabo but I'd still slot urban slightly above Dabo). 

The game has changed on and off the field. I don't know what kind of success Urban would have at this point. Urban also laid a few eggs in games where OSU had no business losing. 

As for pass rush and Day, it is too early to know, but there are two sophomores that may break out this year. JT Tuimoloau and Jack Sawyer are two 5 stars from the 2022 class and both are really athletic and talented. Guys like the Bosas and Young don't come around often. 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, jaws said:

The game has changed on and off the field. I don't know what kind of success Urban would have at this point. Urban also laid a few eggs in games where OSU had no business losing. 

As for pass rush and Day, it is too early to know, but there are two sophomores that may break out this year. JT Tuimoloau and Jack Sawyer are two 5 stars from the 2022 class and both are really athletic and talented. Guys like the Bosas and Young don't come around often. 

He most certainly did. 

Ryan Day could very well build a similar powerhouse that can be sustained.  History says tho that typically you don't when you follow a generational coach which urban easily falls in that bucket 

• Mavric changed the title to QB Dylan Raiola
  • Mavric pinned this topic