QB Dylan Raiola

HuskerBoard Predictor  

91 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Raiola commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

On 12/18/2022 at 11:33 AM, r06ue1 said:

The only thing that gets me is the narrative that Dylan was lied to about taking a extra QB by OSU and that's why he decommitted. 

Chances are, it's that Dylan notified OSU in private a few weeks ago and OSU went and got the best QB they felt like they could land. 

That being said, similar to Joe Burrow, we do have to wonder if the roster situation at Nebraska warrants Dylan coming here. With 3 injured QBs this season, 2 of which requiring offseason surgery, and our QB last season playing with a jaw wired closed, I remain skeptical that this is a situation Raiola is going to want to come to. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The only thing that gets me is the narrative that Dylan was lied to about taking a extra QB by OSU and that's why he decommitted. 

Chances are, it's that Dylan notified OSU in private a few weeks ago and OSU went and got the best QB they felt like they could land. 

That being said, similar to Joe Burrow, we do have to wonder if the roster situation at Nebraska warrants Dylan coming here. With 3 injured QBs this season, 2 of which requiring offseason surgery, and our QB last season playing with a jaw wired closed, I remain skeptical that this is a situation Raiola is going to want to come to. 

Right, OSU doesn't let a 2023 kid commit if they know it's costing them Raiola - he was already gone.

For the past QB situation, if the old staff were still here or he was enrolling this year sure. But it's a new scheme and plan for the offense, and he's got a year to watch and see if it's any better.

Also I'm in the minority here, but I don't think the OL needs to be a ~3 year fix. There is talent, and fixing S&C focused on the wrong thing (being able to move the most weight versus being able to move yourself) is a quicker adjustment than totally building guys up from 270 lb high schoolers. They're not going to get nominated for the Joe Moore award in 2023 or anything, but I expect a solid jump this year and then another sizable one in year 2. Especially if we can land a couple experienced transfers.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Right, OSU doesn't let a 2023 kid commit if they know it's costing them Raiola - he was already gone.

For the past QB situation, f the old staff were still here or he was enrolling this year sure. But it's a new scheme and plan for the offense, and he's got a year to watch and see if it's any better.

Also I'm in the minority here, but I don't think the OL needs to be a ~3 year fix. There is talent, and fixing S&C focused on the wrong thing (being able to move the most weight versus being able to move yourself) is a quicker adjustment than totally building guys up from 270 lb high schoolers. They're not going to get nominated for the Joe Moore award in 2023 or anything, but I expect a solid jump this year and then another sizable one in year 2. Especially if we can land a couple experienced transfers.

While you might say this is looking at the glass half full I could agree with you on the o-line.  If you get at least one solid transfer, Nouilli back, and Teddy fully healthy, it's possible that we could potentially see improvement at 3 out of the 5 spots right off the bat.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
50 minutes ago, Farms said:

While you might say this is looking at the glass half full I could agree with you on the o-line.  If you get at least one solid transfer, Nouilli back, and Teddy fully healthy, it's possible that we could potentially see improvement at 3 out of the 5 spots right off the bat.

Yeah I mean if people want proof it can happen just look at kstate. Klieman is a defensive coach who brought his fcs oline coach with him and took over a team without a single 4 or 5 star player. Early indications are that we hired a well organized adult to oversee the program and he has a track record for turning around programs. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Could easily just be toying around, but still:

Even if we gained his commitment one would hope that we start with getting o-line recruits to protect him bc without a good o-line he can't be successful on his own.  You can get away with it in highschool but in college its a whole other ball game.  Donovan Raiola better be working on o-line recruits now bc to me he is our biggest weakness as a coach.  Yes he took over a dumpster fire but you can't say he has improved on adding great recruits to the room.  He may be able to coach and develop but he needs to do a better job at recruiting other wise it won't matter who you have under center moving forward.

• Haha 1
On 12/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, Mavric said:

FlA46hHaUAINv4q?format=jpg&name=small

If Nebraska could gain his commitment soon then it could cement how far next year's class can be in terms of how good.  If he were to commit then I'd think it would have a downhill effect to where other high profile kids see that and we could gain their commitment as well.  We haven't really ever had a top 10 class in the recruiting era except for Bill Callahan's first class and that never panned out so since it didn't, I don't consider it as one.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

If Nebraska could gain his commitment soon then it could cement how far next year's class can be in terms of how good.  If he were to commit then I'd think it would have a downhill effect to where other high profile kids see that and we could gain their commitment as well.  We haven't really ever had a top 10 class in the recruiting era except for Bill Callahan's first class and that never panned out so since it didn't, I don't consider it as one.

It would definitely create a snowball effect. I think it would be hard not to sign a top 10 class next year IF we get a commitment from Dylan early.. 

• Plus1 1
On 12/28/2022 at 8:49 PM, Huskerfollower4life said:

First point is spot on.  I honestly would expect an announcement in the next 2 months, if he's gonna come to N it benefits him to commit soon to better our odds at other top flight players who would take a look at us with a qb like that.

On the callahan part, hard to say it never panned out- that class included a starting qb for a few years in zac taylor, a pretty filthy rb in marlon lucky, quite a few multi year starters and legit guys along the ol and dl, and this dude named suh who ended up being an all time unstoppable force and arguably the best defensive player in cfb history.... no a bad haul.....

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

First point is spot on.  I honestly would expect an announcement in the next 2 months, if he's gonna come to N it benefits him to commit soon to better our odds at other top flight players who would take a look at us with a qb like that.

On the callahan part, hard to say it never panned out- that class included a starting qb for a few years in zac taylor, a pretty filthy rb in marlon lucky, quite a few multi year starters and legit guys along the ol and dl, and this dude named suh who ended up being an all time unstoppable force and arguably the best defensive player in cfb history.... no a bad haul.....

Well on 247 ranking it was ranked 8 in the country.  If you go back and look half the kids either didn't contribute or didn't make it here and while for all the good points you brought up about Zac Taylor and Marlon Lucky and Suh it shouldn't be considered a top 10 national ranking bc we are talking overall picture.  Decent class with good pieces, not so good bc of the other part of it.

6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well on 247 ranking it was ranked 8 in the country.  If you go back and look half the kids either didn't contribute or didn't make it here and while for all the good points you brought up about Zac Taylor and Marlon Lucky and Suh it shouldn't be considered a top 10 national ranking bc we are talking overall picture.  Decent class with good pieces, not so good bc of the other part of it.

I feel like that is pretty par for the course right?  I'll have to do some more digging but I thought the expectation was you hope you hit on half your class and if you get more than that, you're cooking with gas.  Granted, you hope the guys that don't pan out are able to contribute on ST, be good locker rooms guys, etc.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Dylan Raiola
  • Mavric pinned this topic