OWH: Husker Camp Countdown

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

If this cat gets 9 or more sacks this year, the huskers will be really good.

Yeah, that’s first year Randy Gregory level of sacks - 10.5. Closest was Khalil with 7 in ‘18. 

Edit: Wow. Checking out the team rushing stats from 2010-2014 where we roughly averaged 3100 yards. To 2300, to 2200, to 1300 yards from ‘15-17. To Frost who has brought it up to 2500, 2400, 1600 in a 8 game season. Makes me want to throw up

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

Yeah, that’s first year Randy Gregory level of sacks - 10.5. Closest was Khalil with 7 in ‘18. 

Edit: Wow. Checking out the team rushing stats from 2010-2014 where we roughly averaged 3100 yards. To 2300, to 2200, to 1300 yards from ‘15-17. To Frost who has brought it up to 2500, 2400, 1600 in a 8 game season. Makes me want to throw up

I don't think we appreciated how good those Beck offenses were in the rushing department. Say what you will about him but he knew how to design a run game.

**ducks behind couch before tomatoes hit me**

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

I don't think we appreciated how good those Beck offenses were in the rushing department. Say what you will about him but he knew how to design a run game.

Beck was an EXCELLENT play designer. His sweep read play is still one of my all time favorite plays. You don't get to work for Urban Meyer in that capacity if you arent good at that job. Beck wasnt a great play caller- he was however an excellent play designer. 

Riley on the other hand had just 3 running plays and he wasn't really fond of or good at running any of the three. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Still baffling how down most fans were on him.  All he did was crank out Top 20 rushing offenses every year - usually Top 10.  And many like to act like he was Bill Callahan reincarnated. 

• Plus1 3
45 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Still baffling how down most fans were on him.  All he did was crank out Top 20 rushing offenses every year - usually Top 10.  And many like to act like he was Bill Callahan reincarnated. 

Tim Beck had a very creative run game, some really cool nuances.  Any of us that watched his offense can agree on that. We went from that to someone who despised running the ball and had three running plays- that were rarely run well. What some may have a legit issue with was Becks play calling. Sometimes he would stray wildly from something that was consistently getting us yards. With as good as Becks run game was- his play action passing game should have been much better than it was. Personally I was a fan of it. 

1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Tim Beck had a very creative run game. Any of us that watched his offense can agree on that. We went from that to someone who despised running the ball and had three running plays- that were rarely run well. What some may have a legit issue with was Becks play calling. Sometimes he would stray wildly from something that was consistently getting us yards. 

Eh, pretty sure you can't do this very often and have a Top 10 rushing offense.

I think more of the issue is people didn't like the overall results and so any time anything didn't work it was Blame Beck time.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, pretty sure you can't do this very often and have a Top 10 rushing offense.

I think more of the issue is people didn't like the overall results and so any time anything didn't work it was Blame Beck time.

That's precisely why you had a Top 10 Rushing Offense and fail on important drives and disappear for entire quarters- LOSE GAMES.  Because Tim Beck is an outstanding play designer but not a great play caller. Like I said he would SOMETIMES aka not very often - inexplicably stray wildly from what was working for a drive or a quarter- but have enough yards in the bank to consistently put up pretty good yards per game stats. Why Urban Meyer had Beck in a Co- offensive coordinator position. 

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Tim Beck had a very creative run game. Any of us that watched his offense can agree on that. We went from that to someone who despised running the ball and had three running plays- that were rarely run well. What some may have a legit issue with was Becks play calling. Sometimes he would stray wildly from something that was consistently getting us yards. With as good as Becks run game was- his play action passing game should have been much better than it was. Personally I was a fan of it. 

I remember the 2013 UCLA game when we ran the same toss-sweep four times in a row. I don't think not calling what was working was his problem.

6 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I remember the 2013 UCLA game when we ran the same toss-sweep four times in a row. I don't think not calling what was working was his problem.

Yes, that was great. However memories wear thin- he would stray and it would hurt us. You dont have those prolific rushing numbers and not have a reason for winning more games- he was not a great play caller- strayed etc. And it's the reason he was demoted at both Ohio State and Texas. Im a fan of his plays and him, but hes not a great play caller. 

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Yes, that was great. However memories wear thin- he would stray and it would hurt us. You dont have those prolific rushing numbers and not have a reason for winning more games- he was not a great play caller- strayed etc. And it's the reason he was demoted at both Ohio State and Texas. Im a fan of his plays and him, but hes not a great play caller. 

2010 OU game.  TMart was playing hurt but was good enough to get us out to an early lead.  OU scratched back so that they lead 23-20 in the 4th quarter.  Huskers get the ball at the Nebraska 44 YL.  He puts Burkhead in the wild cat.  Burkhead pounds it down the field so we get to the OU 39 yard line. We have the nation's best kicker, Henery, on the side lines warming up to tie the game.  Beck, decides to put TMart (hobbling and hurt) back in the game.  First play sack for 8 yards.  Second play fumbled and TMart recovers at the 50 but out of FG range.  

OU goes on to win 23-20.

I will always remember that as one of the most pathetic decisions in recent Husker memory.

I have a friend who was a player on the field during this.  They all were shocked they put TMart back in.  The team looked at him in the huddle and said, "DO NOT GET SACKED".

Well...........

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

My issue, albeit minor and also yet quite important, was that he would tend to get cute at times which derailed momentum. I’ve seen it on this staff too, and it is quite frustrating. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

My issue, albeit minor and also yet quite important, was that he would tend to get cute at times which derailed momentum. I’ve seen it on this staff too, and it is quite frustrating. 

Like I said, I think people latch on to something that possibly happened a couple times here and there and want to act like it was always happening.  You don't get to a Top 10 rushing offense by doing that.

• Plus1 1