OWH: Husker Camp Countdown

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

2010 OU game.  TMart was playing hurt but was good enough to get us out to an early lead.  OU scratched back so that they lead 23-20 in the 4th quarter.  Huskers get the ball at the Nebraska 44 YL.  He puts Burkhead in the wild cat.  Burkhead pounds it down the field so we get to the OU 39 yard line. We have the nation's best kicker, Henery, on the side lines warming up to tie the game.  Beck, decides to put TMart (hobbling and hurt) back in the game.  First play sack for 8 yards.  Second play fumbled and TMart recovers at the 50 but out of FG range.  

OU goes on to win 23-20.

I will always remember that as one of the most pathetic decisions in recent Husker memory.

I have a friend who was a player on the field during this.  They all were shocked they put TMart back in.  The team looked at him in the huddle and said, "DO NOT GET SACKED".

Well...........

I remember that game well. 20 points in the first half- nothing in the second. Burkhead in Wildcat had MOFOpen with Martinez wideout. WIDE open on the post for a TD if thrown on rythem- no help over the top. Had our RT blocked the correct defender, we win the game, Burkhead has to sidestep tackler - throws late - defender is able to close- barely tips sure TD away.  

NU was sacked 7 times that night with LOTS of pressure yet Beck failed to call any screens to slow down the OU rush. They kept trying to negate the rush by throwing quick slants- which WASNT working. 

Loved Becks plays but he would sometimes get away from stuff that was working and get cute like I mentioned before. Did it a number of times when it mattered most. Would take that offense over Callahan, Rileys or even Frosts right now. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Like I said, I think people latch on to something that possibly happened a couple times here and there and want to act like it was always happening.  You don't get to a Top 10 rushing offense by doing that.

Hence the word "sometimes" (at times : now and then : OCCASIONALLY)

But in several times in key times when the game was on the line. Big Fan of the plays and man- not always the playcalling. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sometimes

2 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

My issue, albeit minor and also yet quite important, was that he would tend to get cute at times which derailed momentum. I’ve seen it on this staff too, and it is quite frustrating. 

Yes- a rushed shovel pass from the 1 comes to mind- NOT a fan of smartest guy in the room playcalling. Youve got 3 downs from the 1 against a poor rushing defense- you jam it in there instead of throwing 3 passes. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Like I said, I think people latch on to something that possibly happened a couple times here and there and want to act like it was always happening.  You don't get to a Top 10 rushing offense by doing that.

You take the good, you take the bad...

Both can be true. And it happened at some real inopportune times, usually on the opponents end or inside the RZ.

Could also just be that I’m a spoiled 80s kid with the 90s to influence my young fandom where I expect a team to go for the jugular and step on teams’ throats.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Yes- a rushed shovel pass from the 1 comes to mind- NOT a fan of smartest guy in the room playcalling. Youve got 3 downs from the 1 against a poor rushing defense- you jam it in there instead of throwing 3 passes. 

That’s the Rutgers game last season? Back to back shovel passes, the second one forced with Hickman? Followed by two Wandale runs where he got leveled at the goal line and left hurt in the Endzone?

24 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

That’s the Rutgers game last season? Back to back shovel passes, the second one forced with Hickman? Followed by two Wandale runs where he got leveled at the goal line and left hurt in the Endzone?

The one I was thinking of was 2019 Purdue, up 7-0 in the first quarter and on the 1, going to step on their neck early. We do RUSHED shovel pass on first down then 2 other passes. Have to settle for 3, a momentum killer. 

It was a literal comedy of errors, with everything weve seen from this team- fumbles, fumbled snaps, untimely penalties. EASILY could have had 24-0 lead- we let them off the hook, eventually losing the game. Im a Frost supporter and fan- but he lost that one for us. 

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

2010 OU game.  TMart was playing hurt but was good enough to get us out to an early lead.  OU scratched back so that they lead 23-20 in the 4th quarter.  Huskers get the ball at the Nebraska 44 YL.  He puts Burkhead in the wild cat.  Burkhead pounds it down the field so we get to the OU 39 yard line. We have the nation's best kicker, Henery, on the side lines warming up to tie the game.  Beck, decides to put TMart (hobbling and hurt) back in the game.  First play sack for 8 yards.  Second play fumbled and TMart recovers at the 50 but out of FG range.  

OU goes on to win 23-20.

I will always remember that as one of the most pathetic decisions in recent Husker memory.

I have a friend who was a player on the field during this.  They all were shocked they put TMart back in.  The team looked at him in the huddle and said, "DO NOT GET SACKED".

Well...........

4 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I remember that game well. 20 points in the first half- nothing in the second. Burkhead in Wildcat had MOFOpen with Martinez wideout. WIDE open on the post for a TD if thrown on rythem- no help over the top. Had our RT blocked the correct defender, we win the game, Burkhead has to sidestep tackler - throws late - defender is able to close- barely tips sure TD away.  

NU was sacked 7 times that night with LOTS of pressure yet Beck failed to call any screens to slow down the OU rush. They kept trying to negate the rush by throwing quick slants- which WASNT working. 

Loved Becks plays but he would sometimes get away from stuff that was working and get cute like I mentioned before. Did it a number of times when it mattered most. Would take that offense over Callahan, Rileys or even Frosts right now. 

Shawn Watson was the offensive coordinator in 2010.

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Hence the word "sometimes" (at times : now and then : OCCASIONALLY)

But in several times in key times when the game was on the line. Big Fan of the plays and man- not always the playcalling. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sometimes

Yet people talk about it as if it happened all the time.

For example, how many times has it been brought up in this thread compared to how many times people talk about the fact that every year he was here we had a top shelf rushing offense and how many all-time leading rushers we had while he was here and all the other things that could be brought up.  But all people ever want to talk about is something that happened "sometimes". 

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yet people talk about it as if it happened all the time.

For example, how many times has it been brought up in this thread compared to how many times people talk about the fact that every year he was here we had a top shelf rushing offense and how many all-time leading rushers we had while he was here and all the other things that could be brought up.  But all people ever want to talk about is something that happened "sometimes". 

I dont know- I thought Becks offense was awesome and innovative without being too different just to be different. Running old time Single Wing football and inverted veer out of the gun and even with Jet motion made sense for the kids he had. Beck was also part of Mark Mangino's Kansas staff who did a lot with little- the fat man can coach. Again- his plays were great- play calling wasnt at that same level and that's why he got fired from Ohio State and Texas- it happened. Glad to see him doing well at NCState