Bill Moos Out As AD at Nebraska

No idea if any of this has anything to do with anything but according to the OWH:

Athletic department sources say Moos wasn’t around the office as much as predecessors Eichorst or Tom Osborne. Moos rarely, if ever went to practices — he said he preferred to stay away — and outside of football, he did not have a reputation for attending many Husker sporting events either. His suite at NU basketball games was not often illuminated. He did not attend the Husker baseball team’s run in Arkansas recently.

“Only in spirit,” Moos said by text. He also sent one of his lieutenants, Garrett Klassy, to the season-finale football game at Rutgers.

Especially during the start of the COVID pandemic, Moos spent large stretches of the summer at his cattle ranch in eastern Washington — Moos would readily admit in interviews where he was or if he was driving through Montana back to Nebraska — instead of North Stadium, where the bulk of the athletic department works. He hired two Senior Deputy A.D.s — John Johnson and Klassy — to handle internal and external departmental work while Moos handled media interviews and made numerous appearances for fans. The department is full of competent employees, one source said, who made things run smoothly on a day-to-day basis. But $150 million operation with hundreds of employees needed final input from a leader.

“Internally, it was a trainwreck,” a source said. “The department ran by itself.”

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, nublackshirt00 said:

I'm sorry I can't remember which day it was this week, but I heard Benning bring up the "take Oklahoma off the schedule" fiasco on his radio show and aluded to the fact that there was still some tension within Athletic Dept.  I found the timing of his comments odd, but perhaps he knew something was brewing??

I have to believe with the timing (end of the college sports season), whoever pulled the trigger knew they were going to.

I know it's golf, but that coach leaving to take an assistant job was odd too.  I think he was told things that didn't pan out in order to take the job.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

The guy hired Frost, Fred, Bolt and I think Amy Williams.  He kicked off the $155,000,000 football upgrade.  I don't think the "take Oklahoma off the schedule" is big enough to get him fired.  He's done a great job while here.

I thought the rumors from that fiasco was that Frost wanted OU off the schedule... but who knows.

9 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Why not let him serve out his contract through  2022?

He's got a great baseball coach in place

Hoiberg is bringing in great talent- the BB  team will get there- be competitive

Frost is unproven here- but he deserves this season and probably the next to get this thing moving in the right direction

Building is going well. He Did GREAT job in the pandemic- working for our teams.

I like the guy, he gets Nebraska. Poor decision

Makes me think there is more to the story than meets the eye.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
4 minutes ago, Saunders said:

I thought the rumors from that fiasco was that Frost wanted OU off the schedule... but who knows.

And that he went above Moos' head to do it.  That could be part of the issue here.  Tough and probably extremely frustrating to do your job when the football coach has more power than you as AD.  It's pretty well known that Frost and Moos do not like each other.

• Plus1 1