Bill Moos Out As AD at Nebraska

Just now, Courtesy Flush said:

Why are all of the beat writers acting like they know something else is going on? This seems strange. 

Nebraska media is always so weird. They clearly know A LOT more than they share but I think they are scared to break it and have the university shut them out/fans turn on them.

In other markets, you might have multiple teams to cover, so maybe you can toe the line but here they so rarely come forward--or they are just bluffing.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Nebraska media is always so weird. They clearly know A LOT more than they share but I think they are scared to break it and have the university shut them out/fans turn on them.

In other markets, you might have multiple teams to cover, so maybe you can toe the line but here they so rarely come forward--or they are just bluffing.

Plus, they can’t come out with every rumor or potential piece of news, because much of what they get is “off the record” until it isn’t. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Those best writers have inside sources and probably have known something has been up for a while. Sam probably had most of his articles written before the official announcement. 

I would imagine so but this feels more like a forced "retirement"

• Plus1 1

Dear Fellow Huskers, 

There is no place like Nebraska. 

That is a phrase I had heard so many times over my forty-year career in college athletics but never truly understood the meaning until I arrived in Lincoln nearly four years ago. How could I have fully appreciated Nebraska? To understand just how special this place is, you need to spend time here, meet our people, visit our cities and towns and sit in Memorial Stadium in a sea of red on a Saturday afternoon in the fall.  

I want to share with you that I am retiring as your Director of Athletics effective June 30. Lincoln welcomed Kendra and I with open arms and we embraced all that Nebraska and this world-class institution had to offer. I step away completely content, knowing that our athletic program is reborn and rebuilt and that it has a solid, stable foundation. 

Much of our work over the last four years is hard to quantify and even harder for our passionate fans and supporters to see—reorganizing the department to ensure efficiencies; hiring incredibly talented men and women to lead our department and our sports programs; polishing and sharing our iconic brand worldwide; and, most importantly, enhancing the student-athlete experience. These necessary changes have laid the groundwork for success that will soon be evident on the scoreboards, fields, courts and pools of competition. 

While I am proud of reestablishing our brand, raising funds to build new world-class facilities, investing in student-athlete development and programming and hiring 12 exceptional head coaches, I am most proud of our people. The 300+ men and women who work tirelessly in our Department of Athletics to support our students and coaches and to ensure that all of you can create memories with your families at Nebraska. The incredible challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic were numerous and widespread, yet our staff never wavered, never shied away from our fundamental responsibilities to protect health and safety and then to ensure the long-term stability of our Department. I am grateful for our staff’s service and commitment to our work and I have no doubt that great things lie ahead for Husker Athletics. 

Finally, I want to thank you, the most passionate fans in the nation. I have been so fortunate to work as the Director of Athletics at four schools and I have never—ever—witnessed and experienced the passion of fans like we have at Nebraska. Your unflinching support of our programs and of our university is inspiring and unmatched. I have visited every part of our great state and engaged with thousands of you over the years, and there truly is no place like Nebraska. 

I will continue to cheer on the Huskers from afar and Lincoln will always be a part of our lives. Thank you all for allowing me to serve you. 

Go Big Red! 

Bill Moos 

• Plus1 2