Bill Moos Out As AD at Nebraska

11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I hear you but would be shocked if that actually happens, especially at 7-5.  I probably would just give up at that point.  I'd still watch but all emotional investment would fly out the window.  No way we ever return if we start a rebuild over yet again with some other random coach. That would be the nail in the coffin.

That said, if we go 5-7 yet again that might be a different story.  4 straight losing seasons and Frost might see this thing go off the tracks quickly.  As I mentioned before, he's simply got to win from now on.  This would be the same if Moos was still AD however.

I agree that it's unlikely. I just think with Moos there was a zero percent chance of a rash decision like that happening. Now I think there's a non-zero percent chance of it happening and that's a little teeth-grinding to me. It's all moot if we just win 10 games, though.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Frost will have a significant influence in this hire "behind the scenes".

Agreed. Yes, he has struggled but the higher ups love him and have invested in him. He will have a major say in AD search

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Considering Ronnie Green was part of the search that landed Moos on the grounds of hiring Frost, I imagine he'll conduct this search on the grounds of we're letting Frost build this. As long as the upper leadership is united behind Frost still I can't imagine they'd bring in an AD who was willing to rock the boat for his guy that quickly.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Goal-line said:

Maybe he does not want to admit Frost was not a good hire and doesn’t want to be the one to fire him?

Don't think so.  Plus even if he did believe that, why not wait out the remainder of the contract and collect an easy $1.5 M?  I'm guessing this wasn't entirely Moos's decision.  Despite what all the main players are saying.

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, HANC said:

Agreed. Yes, he has struggled but the higher ups love him and have invested in him. He will have a major say in AD search

If that is the case then our search radius won’t be big.   We will keep it in house. 

I can't remember if its been brought up in this thread, but Based off of the OWH story by Sam, IIRC Moos was doing a lot of stuff from his Montana Ranch and letting his Deputies run things. This was more than fine when everything was remote, but it sounds like the Chancellor wanted him to be in Lincoln more, which probably prompted the initial retirement talk mentioned in the stories today and then the "forced" retirement when he decided he didn't want to work from Lincoln.

My biggest worry has been mentioned  that the next AD will get impatient with the coaches that Moos hired. Winning soothes everything, but there's that what if that if Frost goes 6-6 or 7-5 this year with the schedule that they get trigger happy and want their own coach. Same with Hoiberg.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, RedSavage said:

And that he went above Moos' head to do it.  That could be part of the issue here.  Tough and probably extremely frustrating to do your job when the football coach has more power than you as AD.  It's pretty well known that Frost and Moos do not like each other.

For many, myself included, I don't think it was that well known. And I am assuming it wasn't like that in the first few years, so then it begs the question of what happened before the OU fiasco?

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

If that is the case then our search radius won’t be big.   We will keep it in house. 

You may be right. They went clear to the West coast to reel in Moos under the condition that he would go all in on Frost during the last search. Green loves SF and he will include him and protect him during the transition, at least for next few years.

4 hours ago, roadrat said:

Sometimes changes take place earlier then planned for several reasons. Namely the successor may be available now. With fall sports around the corner they probably feel it's a good time to get someone in the position now or maybe Moos reconsidered his decision about staying through his contract. It's not like he has to go find a job on Thursday.  

I think there might be some truth to them not wanting to miss out on the replacement, and it just working out the way it did with the tension. Because the abruptness of it tells me they have their guy. 

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

For many, myself included, I don't think it was that well known. And I am assuming it wasn't like that in the first few years, so then it begs the question of what happened before the OU fiasco?

No it sounds like it has only been the last couple of years things have kind of turned sour between the two. I don’t think either completely dislike one another but it was not a rosey situation. The OU game was probably indeed the breaking point. Frost wanted no part of that game as he knew our schedule was brutal enough. 

1 minute ago, BartonHusker said:

No it sounds like it has only been the last couple of years things have kind of turned sour between the two. I don’t think either completely dislike one another but it was not a rosey situation. The OU game was probably indeed the breaking point. Frost wanted no part of that game as he knew our schedule was brutal enough. 

Okay but then what happened? Moos hired the guy. Frost wasn't expected to win a natty the first two years. So I doubt Moos is going crazy or rubbing Scott the wrong way, especially if Moos is as hands off as they say. 

I am going to assume the notion that this was a power move by Scott. If the relationship was sour, then Moos might have fired Scott next year if they didn't make a bowl or win enough, which I think was way more possible than many believe. I think Scott, Matt, and other higher ups are ensuring Scott's time here, and have already been contacting an AD to come and take this role. He will get paid a lot of money, and be loyal to Scott. It's genius. 

7 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I am going to assume the notion that this was a power move by Scott. If the relationship was sour, then Moos might have fired Scott next year if they didn't make a bowl or won enough, which I think was way more possible than many believe. I think Scott, Matt, and other higher ups are ensuring Scott's time here, and have already been contacting an AD to come and take this roll. They will get paid a lot of money, and be loyal to Scott. It's genius. 

Maybe? I don’t think Moos was going to fire SF. Typically at major football schools, the AD’s legacy is tied directly to the football coach, especially the ones they hire.  If their major hire doesn’t pan out, they are out the door with the coach. Which, in turn may make your SF thought more accurate.