Bill Moos Out As AD at Nebraska

55 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I feel like there is a story to this that id like to hear. 

I wish...I was just holding the door open for to long and Ed yelled "in or out mother f#&%er" so I went in and then my friend tried telling Ed that we were from the same hometown (which we sort of were), I don't think Ed cared.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I've got news for you, nobody takes us seriously now and haven't for the past few years.

That's nothing compared to what would happen if we canned Frost after the 2021 season. The s#!tstorm from ESPN and the national media would be tremendous. "Who do they think they are?" "This isn't the 90's." "Nebraska won't get any better than Frost." I guarantee you they would be saying those exact things. It would look awful for us. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Street Novelist said:

Also, we gave Frost an extension in 2019. We're tied to him until December 31, 2026. Do we really want another Pelini on our hands, paying another coach to not coach us and just to go away?

https://huskers.com/news/2019/11/16/football-nebraska-to-extend-scott-frost-coaching-contract-to-2026.aspx

this is truly a classic example of damned if we do, damned if we don't.

this is a 30 year low point from which we may never recover.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Street Novelist said:

That's nothing compared to what would happen if we canned Frost after the 2021 season. The s#!tstorm from ESPN and the national media would be tremendous. "Who do they think they are?" "This isn't the 90's." "Nebraska won't get any better than Frost." I guarantee you they would be saying those exact things. It would look awful for us. 

Just now, hunter49 said:

this is truly a classic example of damned if we do, damned if we don't.

this is a 30 year low point from which we may never recover.

It's pretty easy, you give Frost more time no matter what.  If he doesn't win it's all over anyway.   Recruiting tanks, no coach is coming except to use us as a stepping stone or a payday, sellout streak ends and people stop caring.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Street Novelist said:

I guarantee you you're wrong.

"Nebraska Makes Shocking Decision to Fire Coach After Four Straight Losing Seasons Because No Other School Would Fire A Coach Who Did That Bad They Would Obviously Only Fire Their Coach After Five or Six Losing Seasons" is not a headline that would ever exist.

Florida fired Will Muschamp after going 28-21 in four years. Texas fired Charlie Strong after going 16-21 in three years. Miami fired Al Golden after going 32-25 in five years. Arkansas fired Bret Bielema after going 29-34 in five years. Michigan with Brady Hoke, 31-20 after four years. USC, Lane Kiffin, 28-15, 4 years. 

Scott Frost is currently 12-20. Nobody would think we did anything wrong if we fired him after 2021 for not making a bowl game. Although personally I would still give him at least one more year unless he goes anything worse than 5-7.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I wish...I was just holding the door open for to long and Ed yelled "in or out mother f#&%er" so I went in and then my friend tried telling Ed that we were from the same hometown (which we sort of were), I don't think Ed cared.

I mean the image of that makes me chuckle thinking about it. Also thinking of a college AD yelling that makes it better. 

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

I guarantee you you're wrong.

"Nebraska Makes Shocking Decision to Fire Coach After Four Straight Losing Seasons Because No Other School Would Fire A Coach Who Did That Bad They Would Obviously Only Fire Their Coach After Five or Six Losing Seasons" is not a headline that would ever exist.

Florida fired Will Muschamp after going 28-21 in four years. Texas fired Charlie Strong after going 16-21 in three years. Miami fired Al Golden after going 32-25 in five years. Arkansas fired Bret Bielema after going 29-34 in five years. Michigan with Brady Hoke, 31-20 after four years. USC, Lane Kiffin, 28-15, 4 years. 

Scott Frost is currently 12-20. Nobody would think we did anything wrong if we fired him after 2021 for not making a bowl game. Although personally I would still give him at least one more year unless he goes anything worse than 5-7.

Damn straight. The only B1G teams to have less wins than us since Frost took over are Maryland and Rutgers. It will be the first time in 40 years we have gone 5 years without a bowl. A school identified by it's football program (in a historically bad stretch), firing their coach would be a non story - and certainly wouldn't be met with shock. Hopefully we win 6+ and we don't have to worry about it. 

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Hopefully we win 6+ and we don't have to worry about it. 

I was going to write the same thing. If they can get 6, 7 or 8 (dreaming) wins this whole conversation becomes a non-issue. At least for the time being. If not, I think we are in trouble no what they do about the head coach. Sellout streak is already coming under serious pressure and I believe recruiting this year is seeing the results of years of being a poor program. Continue to lose and it will only get worse.

When Frost was hired a lot of people, including myself, expressed the opinion that in the unlikely event things went south under his leadership we could really be up the creek without a paddle. Well, that time is precariously close. I honestly think this is could be the most important season for Husker football in my lifetime.

• Plus1 2

I’m thinking Moos was brought in only to hire Frost and transition the program.  And transition he did-down, so now it’s time to go. New AD means, new football coach. At least since the Pederson fiasco. On the other hand, he’s old, so maybe Covid showed him the beauty of his isolated Oregonian ranch. 

But here we go again. Instability. There will be firings and knee-jerk reactions. Hope this hire is a mid aged candidate and Nebraska is their destination job. Not padding for a retirement account.   

What is the skill set of a great AD? I’m not sure what was so likable about Moos except he seemed to be cut in the Bob Devaney mold of scotch and cigars. Which is cool and reminiscent  of a better era for Nebraska Football. Maybe the best skill is to stay out the way. 

• Plus1 1

Give him 5 yrs to right the ship or it’s nonsense chatter. 

I’m down for that.  Why change now? Let’s see what he can do. First game ever lightning, 3rd yr Covid, attrition (which is good imo, rats leave first), over 50% flip roster in 2 yrs, now has his horses…

I think Frost was a young gun and shot from the hip, that’s cool if not foolish. But now he’s establishing a solid core, shows growth. If not him, who? If not his guys, when?  This year and next will tell the tale. I’m down for that. I think we gives him as much time as needed, he’ll do it. Don’t be impatient 

• Plus1 8
8 hours ago, I am I said:

I’m down for that.  Why change now? Let’s see what he can do. First game ever lightning, 3rd yr Covid, attrition (which is good imo, rats leave first), over 50% flip roster in 2 yrs, now has his horses…

I think Frost was a young gun and shot from the hip, that’s cool if not foolish. But now he’s establishing a solid core, shows growth. If not him, who? If not his guys, when?  This year and next will tell the tale. I’m down for that. I think we gives him as much time as needed, he’ll do it. Don’t be impatient 

Agree. I’m kind of use to losing, but what I  cannot stomach is more coaching carousel. With all the hype and let down. Let’s just play our cards for once. 

still think Moos’ leave was preplanned when he was hired. He’s 70 after all. 

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, I am I said:

When I left work on Friday the board was at "Moos probably wanted to retire and Nebraska asked him to politely leave sooner" and now we're at full-blown "Palace intrigue, power struggle, let's fire our coach, lowest point in program history." I'm having whiplash here; we've gotta slow down.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Exactly. 
I’m not happy w the W/L record so far but I am happy Frost is the coach. He should get 5 full yrs, maybe 6 considering the BS covid lockdown year.  Can’t wait for all the cheering this year when N starts winning 

• Plus1 6
4 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

When I left work on Friday the board was at "Moos probably wanted to retire and Nebraska asked him to politely leave sooner" and now we're at full-blown "Palace intrigue, power struggle, let's fire our coach, lowest point in program history." I'm having whiplash here; we've gotta slow down.

Yeah, AFAICT the former is pretty much all there really is to it. This isn't like Pederson or Eichorst, where it's directly about football. It's more about, ah, off the field issues.