Bill Moos Out As AD at Nebraska

Some reasonable inference would say Moos was ready to retire and had been considering it for a while, but NU was slightly unhappy with some stuff and preferred to do it sooner than Moos envisioned. If that's the truth I'm not super upset or concerned.  

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Some reasonable inference would say Moos was ready to retire and had been considering it for a while, but NU was slightly unhappy with some stuff and preferred to do it sooner than Moos envisioned. If that's the truth I'm not super upset or concerned.  

I think that's probably a pretty good guess at what has happened.

I'm not concerned at all about how his retirement came about.  My concern comes only about what is to come next.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, roadrat said:

Sometimes changes take place earlier then planned for several reasons. Namely the successor may be available now. With fall sports around the corner they probably feel it's a good time to get someone in the position now or maybe Moos reconsidered his decision about staying through his contract. It's not like he has to go find a job on Thursday.  

True. Moos may have let certain people in leadership know he was considering retirement. Leadership may have told him we may start putting feelers out there and if we can land a guy we want then you retire. If not you stay on through your contract. 

25 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

True. Moos may have let certain people in leadership know he was considering retirement. Leadership may have told him we may start putting feelers out there and if we can land a guy we want then you retire. If not you stay on through your contract. 

You mean I got the job?  I was just up that way and at a Runza filled out a questionnaire about being the AD at UN. I thought it was a joke so I *ahem* exaggerated about my qualifications. 

*waits by the phone for THAT call* 

15 minutes ago, GamingGlen said:

You mean I got the job?  I was just up that way and at a Runza filled out a questionnaire about being the AD at UN. I thought it was a joke so I *ahem* exaggerated about my qualifications. 

*waits by the phone for THAT call* 

As long as you mentioned dipping your Runza in Dorothy Lynch the rest is not important.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Can someone explain why some folks are concerned for the football program with this news? How does this change anything at all? Frost is either going to win and keep his job long term/the program will be just fine or he's not. I don't think that matters who the AD is.

This is huskerboard dammit let them freak out 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Can someone explain why some folks are concerned for the football program with this news? How does this change anything at all? Frost is either going to win and keep his job long term/the program will be just fine or he's not. I don't think that matters who the AD is.

AD's like to hire their own coaches.  Frost may be on a shorter leash now.

As for Moos, he's 70 years old and has been spending a lot of time at home.  Maybe he felt like staying home with the famiy and retiring was a better choice.

8 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

AD's like to hire their own coaches.  Frost may be on a shorter leash now.

As for Moos, he's 70 years old and has been spending a lot of time at home.  Maybe he felt like staying home with the famiy and retiring was a better choice.

Frost will have a significant influence in this hire "behind the scenes".

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Personally I'm concerned because we could be a vastly improved, top-25 or top-30 football team next year and still go 7-5 with our schedule, and a trigger-happy new AD could use it as ammunition to bring in his guy instead of letting things play out and setting us back five-ten years. Same in men's basketball. 

On a certain level, yes, there's no problem if Frost or Hoiberg just win. But I'm also a KU alumnus who was there during the Gill, Weis and Beaty years. The reason KU is as bad as it is now is because a coach wouldn't immediately win, so the new AD wanted to get "his guy" and canned the coach mid-rebuild, which obliterated the roster. Doing that once is very harmful (let alone three times like happened to KU) and if we don't get a person who values patience or continuity we're putting ourselves at risk of entering that cycle, and that scares me. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Personally I'm concerned because we could be a vastly improved, top-25 or top-30 football team next year and still go 7-5 with our schedule, and a trigger-happy new AD could use it as ammunition to bring in his guy instead of letting things play out and setting us back five-ten years. Same in men's basketball. 

On a certain level, yes, there's no problem if Frost or Hoiberg just win. But I'm also a KU alumnus who was there during the Gill, Weis and Beaty years. The reason KU is as bad as it is now is because a coach wouldn't immediately win, so the new AD wanted to get "his guy" and canned the coach mid-rebuild, which obliterated the roster. Doing that once is very harmful (let alone three times like happened to KU) and if we don't get a person who values patience or continuity we're putting ourselves at risk of entering that cycle, and that scares me. 

I hear you but would be shocked if that actually happens, especially at 7-5.  I probably would just give up at that point.  I'd still watch but all emotional investment would fly out the window.  No way we ever return if we start a rebuild over yet again with some other random coach. That would be the nail in the coffin.

That said, if we go 5-7 yet again that might be a different story.  4 straight losing seasons and Frost might see this thing go off the tracks quickly.  As I mentioned before, he's simply got to win from now on.  This would be the same if Moos was still AD however.

J-Magic I must say you do bring up a really really good point. Living in Kansas, I have witnessed what KU has gone through and it’s not pretty at all. Sure some of it has been bad hiring but also very short leashes that just set things back even further on rebuilds. 

With this day and age of the transfer portal, making a rash decision on a coaching change is just asking for even more trouble than you perceived you were in at that moment.  

• Plus1 1