Bill Moos Out As AD at Nebraska

4 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

and honestly who are we more confident in at this point? Hoiberg or Frost? The answer is far too easy for me. 

That is a pretty easy one for me too. I don't follow BB much but everything I've heard and read is this recruiting class looks to be one of the best, if not the best, in NU history. The current football class, not so much. It could turn out OK if they start winning this fall or go the other way if this year is like the first 3.

2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Fred is landing higher rated recruiting classes than Scott is.

Is he? The 2021 class was ranked #17, sure, but that just ties Frost's 2019 class. Otherwise, Hoiberg's classes haven't been all that special. I think one big get is coloring perceptions more than a little. McGowens is highly rated, but so was Marlon Lucky, you know? And after two years, Tim Miles had an NCAA Tournament appearance and a win/loss ratio more than double Hoiberg's.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, Toe said:

Is he? The 2021 class was ranked #17, sure, but that just ties Frost's 2019 class. Otherwise, Hoiberg's classes haven't been all that special. I think one big get is coloring perceptions more than a little. McGowens is highly rated, but so was Marlon Lucky, you know? And after two years, Tim Miles had an NCAA Tournament appearance and a win/loss ratio more than double Hoiberg's.

I didnt know Frost brought in Marlon Lucky. Our team could use a RB of Marlon's caliber. 

Lucky finished his career with 2,393 rushing yards to rank 17th on Nebraska’s all-time rushing list and his 1,019 yards in 2007 was the first 1,000-yard rushing season by an NU back in three seasons. Lucky also caught 135 career passes to rank fourth on that career list, while his 75 receptions in 2007 is a Nebraska season record. Overall, Lucky played in 50 career games with 29 starts and his 4,214 career all-purpose yards ranks fourth in school history.

• Plus1 5
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, Toe said:

Literally every coach we have had while we have sucked has been able to pull in top 25 classes in football. If you can't see the upward trajectory Hoiberg is having you're crazy. I wouldnt be surprised if Hoiberg wins an NCAA tourney game at NU before Frost wins a bowl game at NU. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Basketball is way easier to turn around.  If you get two really good recruits that can change your whole team.  I also think kids who play basketball are more likely to be willing to play on a "bad" team because they can still stick out with their play.  If they are dominating and still losing they can still get noticed.  Kind of hard for a top notch receiver to stick out if he doesn't have a QB who can get him the ball.  Or a QB to get said receiver the ball if he doesn't have time to throw.  I don't really root for Nebraska basketball but I have faith in both coaches to get things right

• Plus1 7

1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Basketball is way easier to turn around.  If you get two really good recruits that can change your whole team.  I also think kids who play basketball are more likely to be willing to play on a "bad" team because they can still stick out with their play.  If they are dominating and still losing they can still get noticed.  Kind of hard for a top notch receiver to stick out if he doesn't have a QB who can get him the ball.  Or a QB to get said receiver the ball if he doesn't have time to throw.  I don't really root for Nebraska basketball but I have faith in both coaches to get things right

I am hopeful that our exceedingly low expectations for football will result in a surprise and 8 win season. Just hopeful though 

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Fred is landing higher rated recruiting classes than Scott is. I’d say that’s a pretty dang impressive feat considering the head start Scott had and the history/resources available to him.

What head start was that?  For a while now, both football and basketball have had plenty of resources.  BB has possibly the best facilities in the country.  FB needed a major upgrade when Frost got here.  History?  None of these kids were alive to remember our glory days.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What head start was that?  For a while now, both football and basketball have had plenty of resources.  BB has possibly the best facilities in the country.  FB needed a major upgrade when Frost got here.  History?  None of these kids were alive to remember our glory days.

Frost was hired a year before Hoiberg.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am hopeful that our exceedingly low expectations for football will result in a surprise and 8 win season. Just hopeful though 

Exceedingly low expectations are part of the problem. It is hard(er) to recruit top talent when your AD is out there (admittedly while trying to provide cover for his Head Coach) saying that he would call 6 wins in a season a "success". Then saying "8 or 9" for this season. It doesn't matter to me if it is "realistic". You've got to dream before you can accomplish and I don't want anybody in that locker room looking at their schedule and already marking off a game as a "L".  It starts with having "unrealistic expectations" and then getting the people and building the program that will make it a reality. It's an upward spiral and we've been in a downward spiral. We need to surprise somebody and knock their teeth out this year to get kids (and future recruits) to see that we are moving in the right direction again. It's hard to do that when your AD is going on record saying he'll be happy with anything short of perfections and publicly already marking off particular games as losses. Why not expect some goalpost downing upsets?

Frankly, I think that Frost's biggest mistake was going after skill position players before he went after the foundational players. The biggest difference this year is that we have some studs on the offensive and defensive lines that are going to make those skill positions lives a lot easier.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

2nd best

I have to admit- it’s very impressive watching people downplay Fred’s program trajectory and accomplishments as if it’s somehow a knock on Scott. It’s pretty obvious the hoops program as a whole is headed in the right direction, although I know most of the folks responding don’t follow that closely as I never see them on the hoops board.

Scott will be successful at NU long term me thinks. But he’s had to deal with some wild circumstances thus far (some uncontrollable) which have delayed that from happening sooner. Doesn’t mean I don’t believe in him as our guy but let’s not downplay NU BASKETBALL signing and hosting multiple five star recruits over multiple classes and regularly being in contention for top 100 kids now. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

And their practice facilities?  I've never heard of them being top.  But, I also don't pay that much attention to them.  Have they had a major upgrade recently?

They did a major renovation over the last couple of years.  Sponsored by the family that owns pretty much all the mall's in IN.  Also Mark Cuban pumped some money in for 3D filming of games and practices that is pretty cool.  They are usually near the top in facilities and are usually ranked 1 or 2 for places to attend games.