Bill Moos Out As AD at Nebraska

8 minutes ago, huskersrule95 said:

Dear Fellow Huskers, 

There is no place like Nebraska. 

That is a phrase I had heard so many times over my forty-year career in college athletics but never truly understood the meaning until I arrived in Lincoln nearly four years ago. How could I have fully appreciated Nebraska? To understand just how special this place is, you need to spend time here, meet our people, visit our cities and towns and sit in Memorial Stadium in a sea of red on a Saturday afternoon in the fall.  

I want to share with you that I am retiring as your Director of Athletics effective June 30. Lincoln welcomed Kendra and I with open arms and we embraced all that Nebraska and this world-class institution had to offer. I step away completely content, knowing that our athletic program is reborn and rebuilt and that it has a solid, stable foundation. 

Much of our work over the last four years is hard to quantify and even harder for our passionate fans and supporters to see—reorganizing the department to ensure efficiencies; hiring incredibly talented men and women to lead our department and our sports programs; polishing and sharing our iconic brand worldwide; and, most importantly, enhancing the student-athlete experience. These necessary changes have laid the groundwork for success that will soon be evident on the scoreboards, fields, courts and pools of competition. 

While I am proud of reestablishing our brand, raising funds to build new world-class facilities, investing in student-athlete development and programming and hiring 12 exceptional head coaches, I am most proud of our people. The 300+ men and women who work tirelessly in our Department of Athletics to support our students and coaches and to ensure that all of you can create memories with your families at Nebraska. The incredible challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic were numerous and widespread, yet our staff never wavered, never shied away from our fundamental responsibilities to protect health and safety and then to ensure the long-term stability of our Department. I am grateful for our staff’s service and commitment to our work and I have no doubt that great things lie ahead for Husker Athletics. 

Finally, I want to thank you, the most passionate fans in the nation. I have been so fortunate to work as the Director of Athletics at four schools and I have never—ever—witnessed and experienced the passion of fans like we have at Nebraska. Your unflinching support of our programs and of our university is inspiring and unmatched. I have visited every part of our great state and engaged with thousands of you over the years, and there truly is no place like Nebraska. 

I will continue to cheer on the Huskers from afar and Lincoln will always be a part of our lives. Thank you all for allowing me to serve you. 

Go Big Red! 

Bill Moos 

Bill, is that you?

17 minutes ago, Toe said:

Seems to be some rumblings about a recent incident of him having a little too much to drink at the country club...

Those seem like the easy rumors to start(not by you) when someone leaves like this....

No idea if it is true or not, but my guess is Moos just got tired of the day-to-day... but who knows. The timing is weird given his past comments. 

17 minutes ago, Toe said:

Seems to be some rumblings about a recent incident of him having a little too much to drink at the country club...

Well a while back it sounded like he could be on his way out and the rumors were something similar at that time and then it kinda just all went away.  I seem to recall hearing that he may have been hitting the sauce pretty hard in public to the point he was pretty plastered.  They  most likely gave him a chance to shape up and it didn't happen.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Those seem like the easy rumors to start(not by you) when someone leaves like this....

No idea if it is true or not, but my guess is Moos just got tired of the day-to-day... but who knows. The timing is weird given his past comments. 

Judging by the notes that Moos has been trying to do the AD job from his ranch in Montana, maybe the Chancellor came to Moos and told him that he needs to spend more time in Lincoln, that issue came to head, and Moos and NU decided it would be better to mutually part ways (and stage it as an early retirement). 

16 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

There's been rumors that Moos likes to drink for pretty much as long as he has been here. What I saw made it sound like a 'violated the conditions of his probation with the university' sort of deal. Who knows...