Who Will Be the Next AD?

35 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Preseason SP+ would project us (30th) fourth in the Big 12, significantly behind OU (3), ISU (7), and Texas (20), and one spot behind OSU (29).

So to be fair we probably still would win a lot more games there. It's a significantly weaker conference than even the Big 10 West.

true. it would be tough to lose many more

3 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Stewart seems like the perfect hire: Understands the culture and what made Nebraska successful in the past, doesn't seem like a big egomaniac who's going to want to make immediate changes, and young and progressive enough to navigate the shifting landscape of college athletics in the way that a 70-year-old Moos might not have been able to from Montana. Also seems like he has enough backbone/competence to make some changes in the big-money sports if it becomes clear in a couple years that we need them. 

I just want to point out something to everyone who claims Moos was too old to understand the new landscape in college athletics.  Under his leadership, we are building a $155,000,000 football/sports facility along with being the leader in NIL with athletes.

I'm failing to see how he was so old he didn't understand how to help athletes take advantage of that.  Now, the two guys under him might have been doing most of that.  But, Moos was smart enough to hire them to get it done.

• Plus1 3
43 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Preseason SP+ would project us (30th) fourth in the Big 12, significantly behind OU (3), ISU (7), and Texas (20), and one spot behind OSU (29).

So to be fair we probably still would win a lot more games there. It's a significantly weaker conference than even the Big 10 West.

Given the Husker's run over the last six years or so, we could have chalked up one sure win in the Big 12 --- Kansas. The bottom of the Big 10, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue was at least as weak as the bottom of the Big 12. The middling teams of the Big 12 -- Baylor, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, TCU — ran the kind of offenses that typically overwhelmed Nebraska defenses. OU and Texas play the role of Ohio State & Michigan, and frankly Michigan and Michigan State (like Texas) haven't been frightening non-conference opponents lately. Kansas State, Iowa State, and Texas Tech take turns being the Northwestern, Minnesota, and Indiana of the Big 12. You sure wouldn't pencil those in as wins at this point.  

The Big 10 West was perfect for the Huskers to establish themselves in the conference. 

Where do you think a lot more wins would come from if we limped back to the Big 12?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just want to point out something to everyone who claims Moos was too old to understand the new landscape in college athletics.  Under his leadership, we are building a $155,000,000 football/sports facility along with being the leader in NIL with athletes.

I'm failing to see how he was so old he didn't understand how to help athletes take advantage of that.  Now, the two guys under him might have been doing most of that.  But, Moos was smart enough to hire them to get it done.

I never said he did a bad job? I said a 40 year old who played within the last few decades and just got done working at a conference might be able to relate to current athletes and be more reactive to the unique situations and opportunities around NIL stuff than a 70 year old living in Montana. Moos also had almost nothing to do with the fundraising for the facility and his lieutenants were driving the NIL stuff, from recent reports. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Given the Husker's run over the last six years or so, we could have chalked up one sure win in the Big 12 --- Kansas. The bottom of the Big 10, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue was at least as weak as the bottom of the Big 12. The middling teams of the Big 12 -- Baylor, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, TCU — ran the kind of offenses that typically overwhelmed Nebraska defenses. OU and Texas play the role of Ohio State & Michigan, and frankly Michigan and Michigan State (like Texas) haven't been frightening non-conference opponents lately. Kansas State, Iowa State, and Texas Tech take turns being the Northwestern, Minnesota, and Indiana of the Big 12. You sure wouldn't pencil those in as wins at this point.  

The Big 10 West was perfect for the Huskers to establish themselves in the conference. 

Where do you think a lot more wins would come from if we limped back to the Big 12?

Couldn't agree more with the bolded.  Division is still there for the taking- solid programs no doubt and its def deeper than whatever they're calling the Big12 north today that we would be in, but not to the point where we can't be top dawg again.

50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Investing in facilities may be a waste of resources thanks to the recent Supreme Court Ruling. I was a Bill Moos fan, I liked how he stood up against the BIG and I think his hires have been pretty good. He just cant do the job part time is all. 

Not so sure with the latest ruling on compensation for College athletes- that our facility investments make the most sense. UNFORTUNATELY per the Supreme Court, it looks like Universities will have to pay players and there is no way to limit it, from what Ive read. Universities may NOT collude in any way to limit the amount players can be paid- they made it VERY CLEAR in the ruling. 

That means college football is going to evolve very quickly to pay for play, merit based - highest bidder compensation to players. This COULD bode well for well financed and supported programs like NU. Not sure spending 155 million on "student experience" stuff is going to yield more than investing those millions in player salaries. This is where its going to be very shortly. The student/athlete thing- not sure it even survives this. 

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31679946/supreme-court-sides-former-players-dispute-ncaa-compensation

49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Klassy is lead for NIL and Bounds we're paying $250,000 to lead the facility fundraising efforts. I think Davidson and Frost both said new facility wouldn't be happening without Bounds. Not a huge knock on Moos, as leaders delegate. But it does give evidence that maybe he was not as hands on as some people would like. Maybe Green/Regents hope is for someone to have Moos attitude on not micromanaging coaches, but to be more involved in Fundraising/NIL - and maybe a younger AD would be more aggressive on that front...

1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

I never said he did a bad job? I said a 40 year old who played within the last few decades and just got done working at a conference might be able to relate to current athletes and be more reactive to the unique situations and opportunities around NIL stuff than a 70 year old living in Montana. Moos also had almost nothing to do with the fundraising for the facility and his lieutenants were driving the NIL stuff, from recent reports. 

37 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Klassy is lead for NIL and Bounds we're paying $250,000 to lead the facility fundraising efforts. I think Davidson and Frost both said new facility wouldn't be happening without Bounds. Not a huge knock on Moos, as leaders delegate. But it does give evidence that maybe he was not as hands on as some people would like. Maybe Green/Regents hope is for someone to have Moos attitude on not micromanaging coaches, but to be more involved in Fundraising/NIL - and maybe a younger AD would be more aggressive on that front...

Correct.  And, all I said was having an older AD doesn't make us able to do these things....as this shows.  

My opinion is that we need an experienced administrator that understands college athletics.  And, that person needs to understand he/she needs people under them that can take care of issues like mentioned here.  

FYI.....I believe no matter who is AD and what their age is, there would be someone under them responsible for NIL and fundraising for something as big as a $155,000,000 project.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Correct.  And, all I said was having an older AD doesn't make us able to do these things....as this shows.  

My opinion is that we need an experienced administrator that understands college athletics.  And, that person needs to understand he/she needs people under them that can take care of issues like mentioned here.  

FYI.....I believe no matter who is AD and what their age is, there would be someone under them responsible for NIL and fundraising for something as big as a $155,000,000 project.

I understand this so I hope I have your support as the next Athletic Director at the University of Nebraska- Lincoln 

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Absolutely. An entire team, really. While we are speculating on timing - If Moos let Green and the Regents know he planned on retiring soon, they might have said, 'Look, NLI is going to change the landscape of college athletics, we would rather break in a new AD now, then in a year, when we could be in the midst of NLI chaos...' From that standpoint it wasn't that Moos wasn't capable, it was Moos original retirement date would put us in a tough spot. 

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Absolutely. An entire team, really. While we are speculating on timing - If Moos let Green and the Regents know he planned on retiring soon, they might have said, 'Look, NLI is going to change the landscape of college athletics, we would rather break in a new AD now, then in a year, when we could be in the midst of NLI chaos...' From that standpoint it wasn't that Moos wasn't capable, it was Moos original retirement date would put us in a tough spot. 

I say we hire whoever runs the twitter account for Wendys 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because when you own a ranch in Montana your priorities change.