Who Will Be the Next AD?

1 minute ago, Bledred said:

Forget states, lets level up to countries.  You do understand there are International Businesses with their HQ in only one country right?  Walmart - Bentonville, Arkansas.  Microsoft - Redmond, Washington.  Nike - Portland, Oregon and about 30,000 others.

Wal-Mart has a presence in Arkansas outside of its headquarters.

Microsoft has a presence in Washington outside of its headquarters.

Nike has a presence in Oregon outside of its headquarters.

The Big XII has no presence in Indiana or Indianapolis.

What you're proposing would be like Waffle House putting its headquarters in Salt Lake City.

image.thumb.png.fa60e32b5b7d29b4aaf86318253eeedd.png

• Plus1 4

The next AD needs to be a forward thinking younger person. 

College Athletics are about to change GREATLY in the next 3 - 5 years. If UNL wants to return to its previous football success they NEED to hire someone that is willing to think outside the box when it comes to student athletes. (I'm not 100% what this would be (im not an AD candidate)) 

UNL has to find the edge similar to 80s and 90s lax steroid and walkon policy. 

I think they can do it. its just going to take the right person. IDK if Frost is the guy.... but the new AD must be willing to change the culture and mindset of the department.  

9 hours ago, Bledred said:

Forget states, lets level up to countries.  You do understand there are International Businesses with their HQ in only one country right?  Walmart - Bentonville, Arkansas.  Microsoft - Redmond, Washington.  Nike - Portland, Oregon and about 30,000 others.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/walmart-locations-by-country.html

download-1.jpg

Bledred, brainstorming Nebraska’s return to the glory league:

child-crayons-art-2.jpg

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

KFAB did a piece on Ed Stewart this morning. They talked about interviewing him years ago calling it a very painful interview- something they said Ed would need to get much better at. They noted Ed has been working behind the scenes - not in a leadership or media savvy role for the BIG12. They also mentioned his troubles in Missouri with his meddling crazy wife and the woman abusing basketball player.

I liked Frank Solich, but in todays world Im not sure the man in charge of NUs athletic program has to be sharp in front of the media. Remember how painful it was for Frank to be behind a microphone?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, internetman said:

The next AD needs to be a forward thinking younger person. 

College Athletics are about to change GREATLY in the next 3 - 5 years. If UNL wants to return to its previous football success they NEED to hire someone that is willing to think outside the box when it comes to student athletes. (I'm not 100% what this would be (im not an AD candidate)) 

UNL has to find the edge similar to 80s and 90s lax steroid and walkon policy. 

I think they can do it. its just going to take the right person. IDK if Frost is the guy.... but the new AD must be willing to change the culture and mindset of the department.  

Stewart seems like the perfect hire: Understands the culture and what made Nebraska successful in the past, doesn't seem like a big egomaniac who's going to want to make immediate changes, and young and progressive enough to navigate the shifting landscape of college athletics in the way that a 70-year-old Moos might not have been able to from Montana. Also seems like he has enough backbone/competence to make some changes in the big-money sports if it becomes clear in a couple years that we need them. 

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Bledred said:

Wheres the fun in that?  Online discussion boards are meant for fun banter, inspire new thoughts and approaches, create new avenues of understanding and challenge thought strongholds.  Online boards have become massive echo-chamber-group-think black holes with a bunch of borg chanting in unison the same ole "But money!" excuse.  Back in my day when someone did something just for the money the were considered a "Sell Out".

download.jpg

Dude, I don't want to join your cult. 

• Plus1 3
12 hours ago, Bledred said:

You did not get the memo?  Texas OWNS the Big 12.  The Big 12 HQ is in Dallas, TEXAS.  The majority of people who work at said office are from TEXAS.  When we were a part of the Big 12 conference, when there was a voting issue most everyone voted along with TEXAS with NU being the sole dissenter in many cases (per TO quotes).  TEXAS was allowed to have their own competing network (longhorn network) against the Big 12 espn 'network' while everyone else cannot have this perk.  Fan-bases who wanted to watch a football game against TEXAS were forced to pay-per view the longhorn network and literally send money to the University of TEXAS.  The Big 12 Championship game is held annually in Arlington, TEXAS.  

To avoid there being any further horrific bias in the Big 12, changes need to be made.  To avoid this same BS occurring just with another school, a neutral sight needs to be picked.  Turns out we have these technological contraptions called a phone, internet, and fax machines allowing businesses to run other locations very far away from their HQ! 

lol, i got the memo... You do realize the state of Texas has the most members in the Big 12, by far, right?  Or did you miss that memo......

Honestly, the texas takes are 95% a load of garbage, OU has seemed to have no issue dominating the league for the better part of 20 years despite some of these egregious missteps you've detailed.

You sound like someone who got cheated on 10 times over but wants to go back to a s#!tty relationship as long as there are new guidelines in place.... newsflash, you'll prolly get cheated on again if there's this many misdeeds, even if you convince her to pack up and move to Indianapolis ;)

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bottom line: if you want to go back to the Big 12 because you think you'll win more football games there, you're a pu&&y. 

You'll be mocked relentlessly, and you'll deserve it.

Also, you won't win more games. 

For purely rational football reasons, we should absolutely not leave the Big Ten. It's a more competitive and relevant conference than the Big 12, we get vastly more money and exposure than in the Big 12, and we're going to have a much better shot at getting playoff berths in the Big 10. It's just a better conference for football, and that's on top of it being a (much, in some cases) better conference for most other sports and definitely in academics.

But I think undeniably being in the Big 12 was a lot more fun as a fan. Playing teams we weren't even real rivals with such as K-State or A&M or Oklahoma State elicited some emotional response from me and had some juice. Aside from Iowa and maybe Wisconsin, these games mean nothing to me emotionally, and most of other fanbases in this conference don't want us here and think we're stuck-up hillbillies delusional about the old days. Obviously that it's come in arguably the worst five-year stretch in our program's modern history is not helping that, and that emotional reward will probably change as we develop more history with these teams, but right now we're in a place we're not wanted with little to no connection to anyone we're playing, and that's going to take years or decades to change. That's not fun! And on a certain level, I care more about having fun watching the Huskers than I do about the athletic department's balance sheet.

So while I get the football reasons are very clear, I'm also not going to be super critical on anyone for jonesing for a return to the Big 12, and I don't think the reasons for our fans wanting to go back can only be "Let's take the easy way out." Overall I'd prefer we stay, but also I would be lying to you if every time we play Illinois I wasn't thinking "I wish we were playing Oklahoma State."

34 minutes ago, internetman said:

I don't think a lot of posters would like where UNL would rank in today's Big 12. 

Iowa State is preseason #4 (in the country) or something like that

Preseason SP+ would project us (30th) fourth in the Big 12, significantly behind OU (3), ISU (7), and Texas (20), and one spot behind OSU (29).

So to be fair we probably still would win a lot more games there. It's a significantly weaker conference than even the Big 10 West.

• Plus1 1