Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

Parker Gabriel's article in today's (28 June 21) Journal Star struck many good notes, imo.  I like that he went to Gerry Dinardo for insights as to what is to be mulled and ultimately dealt with in such situations.

That about the 20 million dollar buyout looms high for the new AD, I'm sure.  But if he's the type to want to start afresh and "with his own list," as Dinardo said, then.. Scott may be in the hot seat no matter the number of wins this season.

I think that we're heading in the right direction, albeit slowly, and that SF will right the ship this season and put us in contention routinely, as we were once used to seeing (long ago). 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

what have you seen in the last 3 years to make you see the ship is being righted other than hope and kool aid? 

This. 100%. 

I will listen to anybody, and I have heard all the arguments...but continued support for SF boils down to this.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

This. 100%. 

I will listen to anybody, and I have heard all the arguments...but continued support for SF boils down to this.

it is all I have left to run on when it comes down to it. I do think we will be better this year, I really do. But I also thought last year wouldnt be as bad as it was. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I really don't think it matters much, I think he's got 2 more years to show out.  Barring a complete collapse and a 3-9 season he will be the coach in 2022 as well.  It give him 2 more years to get a winning record and show improvement and also takes 2 more years off his contract reducing the buyout if we were to replace him.  I think the only difference is if he goes .500 the next 2 years and is right on the fence then Scott better hope he has somebody in his corner or he's likely gone.  

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Farms said:

I really don't think it matters much, I think he's got 2 more years to show out.  Barring a complete collapse and a 3-9 season he will be the coach in 2022 as well.  It give him 2 more years to get a winning record and show improvement and also takes 2 more years off his contract reducing the buyout if we were to replace him.  I think the only difference is if he goes .500 the next 2 years and is right on the fence then Scott better hope he has somebody in his corner or he's likely gone.  

That is the most likely scenario and I agree with it. a 7-5 type of record this year needs to be followed up with a 9 win season the next year honestly. I don't think 2 6-6 or 7-5 records help him out. I also agree with a 3-9 season this year potentially being the nail in the coffin unfortunately. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Also keep in mind Ed was involved at Mizzou when it was unpopular to keep Pinkel around. That waiting game paid off for them. 

Ed Stewart: "Well, I just think that they had gotten in a situation where there was so much inconsistency, in the fact that coaches were turned over in about 4 or 5 years and there was really never an opportunity for anyone to really get in and establish a program.

And there was a lot of work that had to be done within the community, primarily up in the St. Louis area where they had pretty much lost the faith of the community there. St. Louis has had a lot of great, great football players. They produce ten or more Division One prospects a year and Missouri was in the situation where they weren’t getting their fair share of shots. And when you’re with any state institution it’s got to start by keeping the guys at home there and then reaching out from there.

We were able to get Coach Pinkel hired there and he came in and had a good mindset, and there were people after his head about 4-5 years into it. And you give the AD credit, he stuck to his guns and said, “No, this is the guy we’ve got faith in and we’re gonna ride with him.“ And you could just see they’ve really got that program on an upswing."

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
48 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Im not saying Frost wont get us turned around but what have you seen in the last 3 years to make you see the ship is being righted other than hope and kool aid? Because I am currently running on hope and kool aid. 

50% hope and kool aid.... 

Other 50%- I do whole heartedly believe the OL has been rebuilt, and rather impressively, might I add.  They're still incredibly young but the OL, to me, is the base of a team's success in football at every level and even more-so in the Big10.  Not only is the size and recruiting profile a significant improvement on what we had when SF arrived but I have confidence in the depth being built too where a few more recruiting cycles we truly see a 2 deep year in and year out.  Austin is starting to get more praise but I think he's done the best job out of all the positional coaches from a consistency and results standpoint.

The defense as a whole is serviceable enough this year to win a conf title IF (major IF), we have a top offense in the league (obvi 2-3/4ish with OSU being top most likely).... We're still missing a dude on the edge who commands a double team but I'm very pumped at the LB and secondary talent and depth.  

From an offensive standpoint, there's no way to sugar coat it, SF has struck out on the skill positions- some of it are misses and others are just ridiculous... Mo wash, if not an off the field head case, would be garnering national attention right about now based off what we saw... SF really needs the Toure/Manning/Martin to produce and in a big way.

Big picture, I feel like last year was such a cluster F of a year for all that it wont be held against SF too much.  The illinois game was an utter debacle that's inexcusable but for the most part, there are glimmers and signs of significan progress from where we were 4-5 years ago, it just rarely has come together at once and stayed there......

I'll say this then I'll get off ma broken and cracked soap box- I agree with the other posters its entirely dependent on the background of who theyre bringing in... A "Nebraska man" (hate that term that Michigan uses but I'm using it here) is gonna have a longer leash... Outsider, not so much... it does beg the question tho- what's the caliber of the coach they'd bring in and their openness to taking on this job?  The answer to this better be a significant upgrade over SF... let's not forget he was the coaching candidate to grab when we did and I'm approaching this job very apprehensively if a guy who knows the state and had a stellar track record prior couldn't get it done.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

If it's Ed Stewart or anyone else in the family, he'll have a long leash. 

If it's an outsider, he's on the hot seat. 

Scott fired Bill and will be hiring the new AD. This isn't hard to figure from how things have happened. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
38 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

It would be nice if we weren't constantly changing coaches.

A voice in the wilderness, you are.  Along with me and perhaps a few others.  I can't think of any coach out there that could honestly give us more hope (and kool aid) than SF can.. we've seen everything from Callahan style to Pelini style and a lot in between.  We need an AD who knows how to cultivate the existing coach's formula, with the program and with the fans and media, not put him on notice or any of that. 

• Plus1 6