Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

if we wanted to be sure to give Frost a full 7 year run, the best way would have been to let Moos runout his contract, rather than fire him with less than a weeks notice.

now you have a new AD coming in with an unknown perspective of the football program. 

and it sure looks like Moos was fired, not retired. i believe this was on Green's terms, which i doubt Frost was even consulted.

instability, no matter who new AD. no presser with Green, Moos or frost. no comment is never good nor does it lead to transparency.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Frost has not improved the program in every way.

People who say this want Frost to be successful just because of his history here.

There are many, many problems with Frost. In some ways, he's better than Riley. In other ways he is not. It's okay to admit this. 

As an aside, it's pretty obvious at this point that Frost isn't the guy. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the team has not improved. The same penalties and problems reoccur every game. The same coaching mistakes, lack of innovation and lack of player improvement on offense, etc. Recruiting is in a bad place, it's obvious where this is going. 

Frost has made some changes, his style of ball at Florida does not fit in the Big. i think his coaches are learning too.

still not sure he has the offensive side figured out, which there is no excuse for.

• Haha 4
19 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i believe this was on Green's terms, which i doubt Frost was even consulted.

If it's true that relations between Moos and Frost soured in the wake of the OU game debacle, I would imagine that Green already knew Frost's feelings.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Frost has not improved the program in every way.

People who say this want Frost to be successful just because of his history here.

There are many, many problems with Frost. In some ways, he's better than Riley. In other ways he is not. It's okay to admit this. 

As an aside, it's pretty obvious at this point that Frost isn't the guy. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the team has not improved. The same penalties and problems reoccur every game. The same coaching mistakes, lack of innovation and lack of player improvement on offense, etc. Recruiting is in a bad place, it's obvious where this is going. 

Show your work. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Toe said:

If it's true that relations between Moos and Frost soured in the wake of the OU game debacle, I would imagine that Green already knew Frost's feelings.

the whole OU game debacle is a classic situation of no communication, absolutely no excuse for this public nightmare of who said what!

35 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

...it's pretty obvious at this point that Frost isn't the guy. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the team has not improved. The same penalties and problems reoccur every game. The same coaching mistakes, lack of innovation and lack of player improvement on offense, etc. Recruiting is in a bad place, it's obvious where this is going. 

Sometimes I think a staff change by SF would make a difference wrt what you're saying there.  Other times I feel like he's needed to wash out Riley's strangely mild approach that seems to have infected most of the team, and that the coaching staff is just fine.  What troubles me is that truly great coaches know how to do things quicker;  they seem to have a more clear picture of things.  But the bottom line for me is that SF and crew has built the program well and that we'll notice that this year right away.  Kool aide?  Too good a fan? 

Maybe.  Hopefully not at all.  I think we'll see big performance changes.  As to the blizzards of penalty flags, discipline takes care of that.  Let's watch.

41 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Show your work. 

I think Riley was a better professional when it comes to the job, and didn't always say things that was eye rolling. Trust me, it's okay to acknowledge that Riley was better at some aspects of the position. This is coming from a person who commented on his hiring thread that he'd be fired after 3 years.

Frost often says and does things that are easy to make fun of. "Best practice ever", "we'll play in Kazakhstan", etc. He and Moos guided Nebraska in and out of off field fiasco's such as attempting to dodge Oklahoma and firing up an Indiana team with his own words. Frost routinely makes his own situation worse by exuding his unearned confidence and having it backfire.

Riley, despite his failures as a coach, was at least professional.

EDIT: I'll also add that Frost is not shy about blaming his predecessor, as he did often early. Fans give Frost a pass because he inherited a flawed roster, despite the fact that Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo were products of previous staffs' and he has yet to find or develop players that are even close to their production. Frosts' best team at Nebraska was his first one.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
28 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think Riley was a better professional when it comes to the job, and didn't always say things that was eye rolling. Trust me, it's okay to acknowledge that Riley was better at some aspects of the position. This is coming from a person who commented on his hiring thread that he'd be fired after 3 years.

Frost often says and does things that are easy to make fun of. "Best practice ever", "we'll play in Kazakhstan", etc. He and Moos guided Nebraska in and out of off field fiasco's such as attempting to dodge Oklahoma and firing up an Indiana team with his own words. Frost routinely makes his own situation worse by exuding his unearned confidence and having it backfire.

Riley, despite his failures as a coach, was at least professional.

EDIT: I'll also add that Frost is not shy about blaming his predecessor, as he did often early. Fans give Frost a pass because he inherited a flawed roster, despite the fact that Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo were products of previous staffs' and he has yet to find or develop players that are even close to their production. Frosts' best team at Nebraska was his first one.

I don't really disagree with the first chunk, Riley never said anything inflammatory. Not high on my list of things to care about with a coach, but he was better at it.

If the bolded said Frost's best offense, I'd agree. Team, only if you count the last half of the year - and even then I'm not so sure. By most metrics 2020 was the "best" yet, and even the "we can only measure improvements by W/L, nothing else" crowd can't really claim 2018 was markedly better than '19 or '20. And to be clear, at the end of the day wins are what matters. But they are not the only measure of a team getting bettor or worse. 

• Plus1 3

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Typically after the AD that hires a coach is let go after a few disastrous seasons, the coach is soon to follow.

I'm not saying I'm a proponent of Scott getting canned, I'm just saying that this is the usual plot of this movie, and people should mentally prepare themselves instead of persisting in delusion. 

Typical that AD is let go in concert with the disastrous seasons and not randomly in the middle of the summer though too. Had Moos "retired" within a month of football season then I'd follow here, but this seems very unrelated to sports performance. Especially considering the recent Baseball success.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't really disagree with the first chunk, Riley never said anything inflammatory. Not high on my list of things to care about with a coach, but he was better at it.

If the bolded said Frost's best offense, I'd agree. Team, only if you count the last half of the year - and even then I'm not so sure. By most metrics 2020 was the "best" yet, and even the "we can only measure improvements by W/L, nothing else" crowd can't really claim 2018 was markedly better than '19 or '20. And to be clear, at the end of the day wins are what matters. But they are not the only measure of a team getting bettor or worse. 

Anyone that has watched all the games under the Frost tenure would probably agree we looked the best the 2nd half of year 1. Simple way to put it- under the Frost tenure has there been a period that other teams actually had a concern or worry in playing Nebraska? The 2nd half of year 1 other teams were concerned with us. Urban Meyer essentially said that. Nebraska was a dangerous team. We actually threatened Ohio State that year. Ohio State has not been threatened by us since.

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Anyone that has watched all the games under the Frost tenure would probably agree we looked the best the 2nd half of year 1. Simple way to put it- under the Frost tenure has there been a period that other teams actually had a concern or worry in playing Nebraska? The 2nd half of year 1 other teams were concerned with us. Urban Meyer essentially said that. Nebraska was a dangerous team. We actually threatened Ohio State that year. Ohio State has not been threatened by us since.

I'd say Ohio State was fairly threatened in the first half of the game last year. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Speaking of when Ohio State wasn't threatened by us......

Remember Mike Riley's tenure?

• Plus1 3