Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Guys, it doesn't take 4 years to get to .500. 

Nebraska fans are so over infatuated with Frost - it just absolutely has to be him that wins - and this thinking needs to stop. His recruiting is mediocre, whether they're big tall players or not. We're not competing with big time programs on the recruiting trail.

Let alone on the field, where Frost is failing miserably. I don't know about you, but it doesn't take years to *check notes* not get blown out by Illinois or develop a single serviceable running back recruited out of high school. 

His failures as a coach, recruiter and leader of the program are stacking up. It's okay to admit this, there are other coaches and other philosophies that might work. Just stop with the all or nothing with Frost.

I'd give him 2 more years to figure it out. But that's me. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska fans are so over infatuated with Frost - it just absolutely has to be him that wins - and this thinking needs to stop. His recruiting is mediocre, whether they're big tall players or not. We're not competing with big time programs on the recruiting trail.

Let alone on the field, where Frost is failing miserably. I don't know about you, but it doesn't take years to *check notes* not get blown out by Illinois or develop a single serviceable running back recruited out of high school. 

His failures as a coach, recruiter and leader of the program are stacking up. It's okay to admit this, there are other coaches and other philosophies that might work. Just stop with the all or nothing with Frost.

I can at least see Frost's building blocks.

I couldn't see Jack Crap from Riley.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Toe said:

Maybe at some point, guys like you will have a sudden realization that Frost hasn't really even been running his offense most of the time he's been here...

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

:yeah

That is why he gets the big bucks, to see what the problems are and make the necessary changes. 

52 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

In this case it does 

We have made our self a laughing stock of a program. We have fired not 1, but 2 coaches that had consistent 9+ win seasons. That's a bad look and I doubt many coaches that are worth a damn want to walk into that situation. As far as recruiting, Out of 130 fbs teams, 19 had higher rankings than us this year so mediocre doesn't seem to be the term I would use, but to each their own.

The dude has been a HC for 5 or 6 years. Step back from the edge. He has made some coaching errors, some curious play calls in critical situations and has not blown me away with player development up to this point but please elaborate on another "Philosophy" that could work here and would realistically be a viable candidate? because outside of hiring an established elite head coach, elite position coaches and bringing in blue chip players year after year,  I got news for you, only a handful of programs can or will do that and it ain't us, never has been us and prolly never will be us. we would be rolling the dice on another unproven, washed up or "up and commer" hoping for the best and the revolving door continues.

The only thing that can get us back on track is consistacy over time. A ruff pill to swallow but best to just face reality. We have had so much instability in our AD office and football coaching staffs it's no wonder we cant get anything going. If a grand slam hire is out there, by all means pull the trigger, but don't change just for the sake of change, that's just flat out stupid. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, hagg said:

I'm feeling even more sure of this about Moos being urged to deliver or can Frost.  He was paid three million dollars to leave.  Why would we need to pay a guy to leave unless it was because he would not do as he said he should do?  What was Moos not doing that was needed:  Give SF an ultimatum.. with it in mind that we're now stuck being the laughing stock of the conference and not just a program that needs to be righted as a floundering ship. 

Scott Frost's fate under the new AD will very likely be that ultimatum, plain and simple.  The only way he could survive an incoming AD would be to have a spectacular season;  six wins won't do it in the 4th year. 

We've been turning over ADs and HCs for twenty years plus now.  Is this just another stab in the dark (ushering Moos out)?  I don't think so;  I think it's a plan after a LOT of meetings. 

Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to how internet rumors get started based on no facts.  

• Plus1 5
11 hours ago, Toe said:

Something I think a lot of people don't really grasp: Frost took over a MUCH better situation at UCF than he did at Nebraska. Things went totally off the rails in George O'Leary's winless final season at UCF, but that was still a team just two years removed from a Fiesta Bowl win and a top 10 finish. O'Leary built a pretty solid team, they just needed a little help getting back to where they should've been.

A lot of people only looked at that winless year (and not the years that preceded it) and thought Frost could pull off that kind of turnaround anywhere. Unfortunately, well, Mike Riley was a coach who never came anywhere near O'Leary's career achievements, and certainly not at Nebraska...

The fact that Heupel took over that team and made it worse every year speaks a lot to what Frost did too. Frost took a good team, made it great and then Heupel took it over and had success early, but has never replicated what Frost did. In this case Frost took over an awful team and now he needs to make it average (lot harder than it seems) before he can make it good then great.

I'll admit I want Frost to succeed because of who he is, but I think we need to give him at least two more years unless things just fall off the rails this year. Everything is in place this year to make a jump forward and it needs to happen, but I'm not in the camp that thinks less than 8 or 9 wins this year is failing.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, KC Sker said:

I've also stated if we really wanted a quick fix we needed to give saben, Myer or Bob stoops a blank check and get the F out of the way. We obviously won't do that

I don't think it's that we won't do that as much as it's that none of them would come here. Wal-Mart's board members can say, "All we need to do is hire Jeff Bezos and he'll make us good!" and yeah I guess they're right that in the hypothetical he would, but in the real world that's a waste of time to think about.

11 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

His recruiting is mediocre

His recruiting is the best of any coach since Osborne as far as average ranking over a four year period.

11 hours ago, KC Sker said:

We have made our self a laughing stock of a program. We have fired not 1, but 2 coaches that had consistent 9+ win seasons. That's a bad look and I doubt many coaches that are worth a damn want to walk into that situation.

Different athletic departments and athletic directors and the last one was 7 years and much higher expectations ago. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The fact that Heupel took over that team and made it worse every year speaks a lot to what Frost did too. Frost took a good team, made it great and then Heupel took it over and had success early, but has never replicated what Frost did.

That 2018 team was as good as Frost's last team. Yeah they lost a game to LSU, but that LSU team had like 5 first rounders and was going on to be one of the great offenses of all time the next season. Frost gave Heupel Milton, so he still gets credit there. What still scares me about Frost, is his really good teams as a Coach/Coordinator have been carried by Heisman caliber QB play.  Can we win in the B1G without a Heisman level QB1? 

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska fans are so over infatuated with Frost...

Yep.  At first it seemed right.  But now, after what we've seen... I admit to being dismayed and looking back seeing that it was  gradual thing of going from that infatuation to a bit of excuse making.. then doubt.  It's at doubt now. 

10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

That 2018 team was as good as Frost's last team. Yeah they lost a game to LSU, but that LSU team had like 5 first rounders and was going on to be one of the great offenses of all time the next season. Frost gave Heupel Milton, so he still gets credit there. What still scares me about Frost, is his really good teams as a Coach/Coordinator have been carried by Heisman caliber QB play.  Can we win in the B1G without a Heisman level QB1? 

Ya 2018 was still good, but like you said a lot of that was still Frosts team. Heupel's teams just trended downhill from there. It's not like they got bad, but they were never as good.

And I agree on the QB play. I also wonder though if some of the QB looked so good because of the play around them. Those teams had great RBs, TEs, WRs, and lines. Mariota and Milton were great, but the players around them were too. Martinez's ceiling is probably close to those two, but he has to reach it for us to have that sort of season.

9 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

And I agree on the QB play. I also wonder though if some of the QB looked so good because of the play around them. Those teams had great RBs, TEs, WRs, and lines. Mariota and Milton were great, but the players around them were too. Martinez's ceiling is probably close to those two, but he has to reach it for us to have that sort of season.

For sure; Martinez is still the same guy we thought he was freshman year. He didn't suddenly forget how to play. The departure of Stan morgan, JD and ozigbio hurt badly. That's on frost for not having dudes ready to pick up the slack, but damn. I challenge anyone to find a team that wins with no skill players. Our wide receiver corps was pathetic. I guess you can get by if your a pure power running team, but you better have a bad a$$ Online and some backs in the stable. We have neither nor is that our scheme.  If we can get production out of our skill players (mainly WR) and clean up the mistakes and turn overs I bet we ball out. If not, expect more of the same. 

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Ya 2018 was still good, but like you said a lot of that was still Frosts team. Heupel's teams just trended downhill from there. It's not like they got bad, but they were never as good.

This year will be interesting. Should tell us a lot. Recruiting has kind of leveled off, I don't think we will ever be bringing top 10 classes. A talented 4 year starter in Martinez, the weapons are there (as "there" as they'll ever be), offensive line is young but extremely talented. Feels like we're at the point where it has to click. If it doesn't click for Martinez, Allen, Toure, Manning, Stepp, Scott - what would make us think it would click for Haarberg, Fidone, Betts, Brown, Ervin, Yant. Our defense should be stout, this HAS to be the year a corner is turned. 

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This year will be interesting. Should tell us a lot. Recruiting has kind of leveled off, I don't think we will ever be bringing top 10 classes. A talented 4 year starter in Martinez, the weapons are there (as "there" as they'll ever be), offensive line is young but extremely talented. Feels like we're at the point where it has to click. If it doesn't click for Martinez, Allen, Toure, Manning, Stepp, Scott - what would make us think it would click for Haarberg, Fidone, Betts, Brown, Ervin, Yant. Our defense should be stout, this HAS to be the year a corner is turned. 

I think many on here would agree with your basic statement but the differences start when you define what turning the corner is.  For me it is 6 wins and improved play.  For some on here, it's 8+ wins.  I just don't see that as a realistic expectation with the hardest schedule in the B1G.  

• Plus1 1