Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

21 hours ago, knapplc said:

Well, that's not very nice. I'm simply saying that, deserved or not, yes frequently Nebraska is included in articles because it generates clicks. Journalists aren't in the business of writing articles no one sees, and Nebraska Fans will click their links.

If we weren't such a draw, they'd include Frost's name but not put him on the cover of their article. Why lead with such a small-population team if it doesn't make them money?

Frost is there for real reasons.  Plain and simple.

The hope is that he proves them mistaken.  The reality is he may not be able to do that as we saw him outcoached more than once and especially vs programs that should never have happened.   With him hope is all we've got.

BTW I should not have said "jerk" and I apologize.  No excuse. 

8 minutes ago, Toe said:

Well, now that we know who the new AD is, here's his thoughts on firing a certain other coach. (start about 40 seconds in)

Bingo !! But, that was then and this is now. Ideas and goals don’t change scenarios do. That is the way 10000% of the administration, coaches and fans feel. SF didn’t let the program slip to this level, others did, including ADs. No, SF has not brought us back to any extent, but I believe Trev gives him at least 2 years to see what happens. With this years schedule, who knows, next year will be put up time or time is up.

• Plus1 3

8 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Kansas would be thrilled to be 12-20 against our schedule the last three years. I say that as a KU alum who watches almost every game. KU would have beaten SE Louisiana his first year and maybe NIU his second and would have zero other wins or even probably close games.

But on topic I think these "If SF weren't a Nebraska guy, he'd be fired by now!" arguments are incredibly specious. He would not have considered this job had he not been a Nebraska guy. He was given time to turn this around because he's a Nebraska guy. You can't just ignore that when you want to make a point about his record. It's like, "We all know Thing X is true. But if Thing X weren't true then this situation would be totally different!"

This is actually a very strong point you bring up that I havent seen on this board.  All of the SF dissenters here acting like we had our pick at the litter and could have had ANYBODY take this job.  

This isnt the 90s anymore, no one gives a F about that- all they see is a midwestern school with massive recruiting challenges coupled with an unrealistic fanbase. 

Not saying SF can do or not do whatever he wants and keep his job forever, but you'd think we're a consistent 10 win team a year program in a hot recruiting locale based off the lack of patience with some members of this board

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
On 7/8/2021 at 11:11 PM, admo said:

This isn't towards you, but this is a theme I want to address.  It has to stop yall.

In the past 3 years, who you think been calling timeouts, handle the game management, control the play calling, wants fair catches on kickoffs (like a scared b!^@h), fires an OC, hires a new ST collaboration/coordinator/group, doesn't blitz (like a scared b!^@h), doesn't trust to run the ball with the young backs (like a scared b!^@h), see's snaps from the center mess up drives, calls out opponents coach for "clapping", says "this was our best practice", rolls out a lame WR group (Falck, Liewer, Warner???), feeds Wandale the ball too much (to retain him?? to please him?? A little 5'6" guy??),  and puts stress on the QB to win or lose (Throw, Run, Scramble, Make a Play.... Oh and gt the ball to Wandale if you can)..... Who you think shuffles Quarterbacks, and is in charge of a team that fumbles a lot, throws INTs....  and penalties, and red zone failures, a kickoff kicker problem, a punter problem... on and on and on....??? And everybody been redshirting for the "future"....for like 3 years. 

I am so tired of hearing about the enormous mountains that need to be climbed as we go into year 4 because of "the past guys, and Riley".  It's a football game.  Riley was here only 3 years dawg.  Get over it.  Accountability doesn't point fingers at 2015 or 2016 or whatever.  And if there was a MIC I would drop that s#!t right here lol.

tenor.gif

• Thanks 4
37 minutes ago, HANC said:

Bingo !! But, that was then and this is now. Ideas and goals don’t change scenarios do. That is the way 10000% of the administration, coaches and fans feel. SF didn’t let the program slip to this level, others did, including ADs. No, SF has not brought us back to any extent, but I believe Trev gives him at least 2 years to see what happens. With this years schedule, who knows, next year will be put up time or time is up.

I don't know about you guys, but Trev sounds just like Steve Pederson to me. And his claim in that video that Missouri had passed Nebraska is just straight up baffling. 2003 was Gary Pinkel's third season at Missou, and his first where they even qualified for a bowl game. They finished third in the North, behind Nebraska and K-State. He was 17-19 at that point.

I like this hire even less now than I did this morning...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Toe said:

I don't know about you guys, but Trev sounds just like Steve Pederson to me. And his claim in that video that Missouri had passed Nebraska is just straight up baffling. 2003 was Gary Pinkel's third season at Missou, and his first where they even qualified for a bowl game. They finished third in the North, behind Nebraska and K-State. He was 17-19 at that point.

I like this hire even less now than I did this morning...

No

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

He’s on TV for 30-45 seconds on one topic, I’m sure there is much more he would express, but at the end of the day a change had to be made and he did acknowledge that right/wrong a change needed to be made - meaning, something about the program needed to get back to what it was. Unfortunately Solich was a dead man walking. 

24 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

He’s on TV for 30-45 seconds on one topic, I’m sure there is much more he would express, but at the end of the day a change had to be made and he did acknowledge that right/wrong a change needed to be made - meaning, something about the program needed to get back to what it was. Unfortunately Solich was a dead man walking. 

At the time many shamefully including me applauded the firing. I didnt hate Coach- or pine for him leaving. But It was evident Coach Solich was not a very effective CEO and the offense had strayed quite a bit from Osbornes day. Solichs innovations werent that great- I HATED that Maryland I crap he tried to run and his QB centric run game was run to death- wasn't sustainable. He abandoned the counter trey, the FB trap and the great play action game Coach Osborne had in place. The recruiting fell off the table and Solich was very weak with the media. He had no gravitas- charisma etc. 

In retrospect, he should have been given 2 more years with his new coaching staff in place. I like Coach Solich as a player- person- coach, he just wasn't a top shelf guy. Look  at his above mediocre but not great stint at Ohio- AND no one wanted him after he left NU. NU DESERVED a great coach at that time- but Pederson totally screwed the pooch by not having a legit home run in his back pocket before firing Frank- AND he again should have given Frank another 2 years. 

I'm doubtful Coach Solich could have evolved into a great coach- he should have been given a chance with his guys. In the end I think he would have failed.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Toe said:

Well, now that we know who the new AD is, here's his thoughts on firing a certain other coach. (start about 40 seconds in)

Almost 20 years ago. He does strike me though as the kind of guy that strikes when the iron is hot. If Frost coaches another losing season, yikes. I think Trev long term will prove to be a solid hire. Sort of like we’re trying to have our own Barry Alvarez so to speak. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing :dunno

8 minutes ago, FTW said:

Almost 20 years ago. He does strike me though as the kind of guy that strikes when the iron is hot. If Frost coaches another losing season, yikes. I think Trev long term will prove to be a solid hire. Sort of like we’re trying to have our own Barry Alvarez so to speak. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing :dunno

In one of the videos above (2018 one) he spoke about the "culture of Nebraska".  For the first time in a long time we have the "culture" guys as the HC and AD.  I'm hoping it works......

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, lo country said:

In one of the videos above (2018 one) he spoke about the "culture of Nebraska".  For the first time in a long time we have the "culture" guys as the HC and AD.  I'm hoping it works......

The choices as to how to make it work can include force (despotic regimes), mass buy-in (taps into something real in the athletes), and clever strategies built around that culture idea.  The first two are often related and depend on strong influence by the leaders.  Good luck to Trev and Scott.  I try to see it happening.. but...

I'd like to hear arguments from people that would argue there's still a "culture problem" heading into 2021. The only culture problem I see is that we don't win enough games, so the culture of winning hasn't even slightly set in.

Wan'Dale leaving might also somehow fall into that category, not sure. Losing that kid is going to be a huge loss this year.

Mostly off-topic: Ameer Abdullah (I think) was rated as a 3 star recruit by the major services. Kid wound up being the best running back here in my opinion since Ahman Green. We need a couple more Ameers, some hungry 3 star kids, to push beyond what they think their limits are and that want that glory of winning that 80,000 fans in that stadium and 1.4 million people in this state and elsewhere will happily give them.

Just f****** get hungry and go out and take it.

• Plus1 1