Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'd like to hear arguments from people that would argue there's still a "culture problem" heading into 2021. The only culture problem I see is that we don't win enough games, so the culture of winning hasn't even slightly set in.

Wan'Dale leaving might also somehow fall into that category, not sure. Losing that kid is going to be a huge loss this year.

Mostly off-topic: Ameer Abdullah (I think) was rated as a 3 star recruit by the major services. Kid wound up being the best running back here in my opinion since Ahman Green. We need a couple more Ameers, some hungry 3 star kids, to push beyond what they think their limits are and that want that glory of winning that 80,000 fans in that stadium and 1.4 million people in this state and elsewhere will happily give them.

Just f****** get hungry and go out and take it.

I feel good about this going forward. Our new AD said "No Excuses" and I really think he means that. I think Trev will be fair to Frost, at the same time I think the days of hearing about "clapping, media timeouts, hoodies, culture, Riley, S&C" in post game interviews went bye-bye as of yesterday. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

...at the same time I think the days of hearing about "clapping, media timeouts, hoodies, culture, Riley, S&C" in post game interviews went bye-bye as of yesterday. 

I definitely agree that this would be a smart move, and would impact the results on the field positively if Frost would just completely let go of some of that.

I also think that sometime those post-game pressers are just a cluster. Frost is trying to fill up the time with any answers he can think of, and also he's a pretty emotional guy and so he's just freaking pissed off fresh after a loss.

But I still think you're right.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

I definitely agree that this would be a smart move, and would impact the results on the field positively if Frost would just completely let go of some of that.

I also think that sometime those post-game pressers are just a cluster. Frost is trying to fill up the time with any answers he can think of, and also he's a pretty emotional guy and so he's just freaking pissed off fresh after a loss.

Yep, Frost is still a young coach. It will do him well to have someone like Trev give guidance. I've had similar convos with my boss. 'Hey, I know there are things outside your control. Let us discuss these privately, and leave it out of the heads of your co-workers and the folks that report to you'. A very talented/unpolished professional can learn a lot from someone polished but took some bumps to get there. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think some “fill the time” and “give an answer” occurs but I also think Frost and this staff has to learn how to accept responsibility upon themselves and quit throwing the players under the bus. I mean I get it, they tell them the right things to do and practice them but when the players fail to deliver HCSF has to start taking ownership of the problems himself. Otherwise it just comes off like excuses.  I’m not sure how much Trev will be able to help him in that aspect. Seems like more of a personal growth thing dependent upon SF himself.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2021 at 8:39 PM, FrantzHardySwag said:

Agent: Hey Nebraska offered you 25 million, 4 year contract, you interested?

Coach: The place that kicked Frost out after an impressive bowl-less 16-28 tenure over 4 years, and set him up for life with a massive buyout? God no! Those fans are delusional if they think 6-6 records grow on trees and winning 3 B1G west games a year is in the realm of possibility.

***seriously though. Any coach we would want, wouldn’t be a gigantic pu&&y and wouldn’t be scared off that we fired a coach who didn’t produce a .500 team in 4 seasons.  

We have to get over the idea that a proven coach at a comparable P5 school will make a lateral or downward move to UNL, and that the university can or should throw more money at him than other schools because we're smelling of desperation. We might not want that guy who has us penciled in for a three year stint and s#!tloads of money. 

Every coach we want now was a great coach a few years ago, when he was making his bones at a lesser school or maybe as a position coach or coordinator. The younger version of that coach is going to be wide open to the challenge and expectations at Nebraska. He will be hungrier and more affordable, and surrounded by a staff that fills in his weak spots. You just have to identify and grab him before he blows up into the hot hire. 

I mean, I guess that describes Scott Frost for the most part (he was already the hot hire). But if we have to move on, yes, absolutely, there are good coaches who will take the job. They just aren't the same six or seven names everyone kicks around. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I haven't seen anyone making this argument for quite some time.

Agreed, which I think is a good sign.

And I really think the difference between us posting a 5-7 season and a 7-5 season with a bowl game win is pretty small. Not that fixing some of the issues that make this difference are necessarily easy, but it does seem like we're close to getting to that 7-5/8-4 tier.

Special teams and turnovers just really need some polishing to get there.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We have to get over the idea that a proven coach at a comparable P5 school will make a lateral or downward move to UNL, and that the university can or should throw more money at him than other schools because we're smelling of desperation. We might not want that guy who has us penciled in for a three year stint and s#!tloads of money. 

Every coach we want now was a great coach a few years ago, when he was making his bones at a lesser school or maybe as a position coach or coordinator. The younger version of that coach is going to be wide open to the challenge and expectations at Nebraska. He will be hungrier and more affordable, and surrounded by a staff that fills in his weak spots. You just have to identify and grab him before he blows up into the hot hire. 

I mean, I guess that describes Scott Frost for the most part (he was already the hot hire). But if we have to move on, yes, absolutely, there are good coaches who will take the job. They just aren't the same six or seven names everyone kicks around. 

Agreed.  I'm still all in with Coach Frost. However there are schools well below the stature of NU that have caught lightning in a bottle and are successful with non Power 5 head coach guys. Handful of names:

Matt Campbell- Iowa State

Luke Fickell- Cincinnati 

Jeff Monken- Army

I also agree that it's a good sign that we've not read much here or there about culture being the issue/reason for our poor record the past couple of years.  Or that the culture problem is even what the main problem has been.  SF may well have taken root as to his whole M.O. and what's up with players buying in.

Now.. I think we can get going and watch as the coaching staff tweaks the squads here and there as the season goes on.. hoping for quite a bit of tweaking on special teams.. and get expected wins and unexpected ones and win our bowl game.  Moving forward. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I guess I haven't seen anyone making this argument for quite some time.

Funny, I saw it just recently.

Deontai Williams says NU's decision to skip bowl was culture issue that needs to be fixed

"Other than that, it is what it is," Williams said of the team's vote to skip playing. "But we have to change that. That's something we've got to change here. Deep inside here. It's a culture thing. We've got to change it."  

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Toe said:

Mister Jam misses the point.. or interprets the "culture issue" in a different way than what we've seen as referring to what's going on in the gym and on the practice field;  the laziness.. the lack of toughness.  Yes that can be filtered over the things Williams is saying and that about skipping playing, but it is not the main point.  And that point, the main point of the gym culture and the practice culture is what SF may have resolved.  We'll see.

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Toe said:

Didn't I see or hear somewhere that the players who voted to skip the bowl have sense left the program anyways? Maybe I made that up, but if it's true that would be the culture working itself out.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

I don't think Frost has ever specifically and publicly thrown a player under the bus. He holds them accountable and will call them out if they aren't performing, which any coach would and should do, but he doesn't blame them for loses. He's called out Cam on snaps, Adrian on pics, other players for bad penalties, etc. Every coach does that. He also says the buck stops with him and blames a lot of it on himself and the coaches (ironically Bo was almost the exact same way in interviews) which he should.

And the clapping thing from Iowa was bush league, and illegal. Kirk can f#&% off. He knows what his guys did. It's the same as barking out the snap count on defense.

Thrown under the bus might be a little excessive but his comments have definitely strayed into the “if the players would just do what we want them to do” territory. It’s not a good look imo. Even if he’s 100% accurate and correct the excuses need to stop. Like it or not, his performance is directly tied to how the team performs and does in games.  He should concentrate on getting them playing well and give the media coach-speak answers. We don’t need that much honesty, we need results. As for the other excuses, yeah Iowa can f#¢k off but he needs to quit bemoaning everything in the media. Maybe it’s just me but I’m sick of it. Win or STFU.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1