Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

31 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Thrown under the bus might be a little excessive but his comments have definitely strayed into the “if the players would just do what we want them to do” territory. It’s not a good look imo. Even if he’s 100% accurate and correct the excuses need to stop. Like it or not, his performance is directly tied to how the team performs and does in games.  He should concentrate on getting them playing well and give the media coach-speak answers. We don’t need that much honesty, we need results. As for the other excuses, yeah Iowa can f#¢k off but he needs to quit bemoaning everything in the media. Maybe it’s just me but I’m sick of it. Win or STFU.

This came up earlier or in another thread, but the difference between an excuse and an explanation is just whether you believe it. I am also tired of the excuses/reasons/whatever, but there is no STFU option. Win and people don't care what you say, but when you lose it's not like he can just not answer questions. They're mandated press conferences, no one is going to like what he says after a bunch of losses. But there's no way around talking about something after a loss, and no matter what he says people will hate it.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

This came up earlier or in another thread, but the difference between an excuse and an explanation is just whether you believe it. I am also tired of the excuses/reasons/whatever, but there is no STFU option. Win and people don't care what you say, but when you lose it's not like he can just not answer questions. They're mandated press conferences, no one is going to like what he says after a bunch of losses. But there's no way around talking about something after a loss, and no matter what he says people will hate it.

Of course playing well and winning is the best solution, maybe the only solution because I’m done with the excuses.

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Thrown under the bus might be a little excessive but his comments have definitely strayed into the “if the players would just do what we want them to do” territory. It’s not a good look imo. Even if he’s 100% accurate and correct the excuses need to stop. Like it or not, his performance is directly tied to how the team performs and does in games.  He should concentrate on getting them playing well and give the media coach-speak answers. We don’t need that much honesty, we need results. As for the other excuses, yeah Iowa can f#¢k off but he needs to quit bemoaning everything in the media. Maybe it’s just me but I’m sick of it. Win or STFU.

I mean, I get it. We're perennial losers so everything looks like we're little b!^@hes. But Saban b!^@hes probably as much as Frost, Dabo stuck his foot in his mouth and out his a$$ last season, and Urban ate sad pizza that one time.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
59 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I mean, I get it. We're perennial losers so everything looks like we're little b!^@hes. But Saban b!^@hes probably as much as Frost, Dabo stuck his foot in his mouth and out his a$$ last season, and Urban ate sad pizza that one time.

And that’s the thing…Frost could say whatever he wanted if we were winning and nobody would care. Until then I just wish he would give short, curt, coach speak answers about what went wrong instead of giving overly honest assessments. Just say “we have to do better” to the media and get on the players in private. That won’t go over well either but at least it won’t be a parade of excuses.

Maybe it’s just me running out of patience :dunno

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well if voting goes the way I think it usually goes by majority that is a heck of a lot of guys who have apparently left the program or graduated then.

Just like every other year a version of that excuse is trotted out I'd say it's almost certainly fiction.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Didn't I see or hear somewhere that the players who voted to skip the bowl have sense left the program anyways? Maybe I made that up, but if it's true that would be the culture working itself out.

Is anyone who wanted to avoid the Oklahoma game still with the program? 

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We have to get over the idea that a proven coach at a comparable P5 school will make a lateral or downward move to UNL, and that the university can or should throw more money at him than other schools because we're smelling of desperation. We might not want that guy who has us penciled in for a three year stint and s#!tloads of money. 

Every coach we want now was a great coach a few years ago, when he was making his bones at a lesser school or maybe as a position coach or coordinator. The younger version of that coach is going to be wide open to the challenge and expectations at Nebraska. He will be hungrier and more affordable, and surrounded by a staff that fills in his weak spots. You just have to identify and grab him before he blows up into the hot hire. 

I agree with you on this point, and would add that we also have to get over the idea that only proven p5 head coaches are good hires.

Hiring D1 coaches seems like it's mostly a crapshoot luck guessing game, and it seems that the guesses on up and coming coordinators or g5 coaches hit the jackpot just as often as guesses on proven p5 coaches. Les Miles and Charlie Weis were "proven p5 successful head coach" candidates and sucked at Kansas, whereas Bob Stoops and Pete Carroll and Mike Dantonio and David Shaw were not and they've done great. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

And that’s the thing…Frost could say whatever he wanted if we were winning and nobody would care. Until then I just wish he would give short, curt, coach speak answers about what went wrong instead of giving overly honest assessments. Just say “we have to do better” to the media and get on the players in private. That won’t go over well either but at least it won’t be a parade of excuses.

Maybe it’s just me running out of patience :dunno

Then the board would be up in arms about how Frost won't share anything, he doesn't know what's going on, it's just coach speak, why won't he be honest, etc. There is nothing Frost could say that would be a win for him right now. He'll be attacked regardless.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
14 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well if voting goes the way I think it usually goes by majority that is a heck of a lot of guys who have apparently left the program or graduated then.

It was not a majority vote but rather a few who didn't want to play.  Wandale was one of them according to what I have heard.  Understandable with the family medical issues going on - he wanted to go see his mom.

“I think a lot of the team, most of the team wanted to go out and play. This was kind of the one time because of how weird the year was that I wanted the team to help decide,” Frost said. “We also didn’t want to go into a bowl game unless everybody was committed and gung ho and excited about going. It was just such a long, hard year that we couldn’t get a unanimous decision from that standpoint. We went through a lot of things last year that I think the team needed to go through for growth. I’m glad we got that opportunity to do that this year, and I think it will lead to better things next year and beyond.” Scott Frost

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Then the board would be up in arms about how Frost won't share anything, he doesn't know what's going on, it's just coach speak, why won't he be honest, etc. There is nothing Frost could say that would be a win for him right now. He'll be attacked regardless.

Thank you for restating my first sentence.